Confirmed with Link: Maple Leafs re-sign Ben Smith for 1 year, $650K

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Eh expansion fodder. He better not come anywhere near the Leafs next season.

was this the only option?
like. wouldn't it have been better to expose say Matt Martin (because I doubt Vegas claims him) and save the money + contract slot?

Yeah, that's what I'm wondering. I really doubt Vegas would touch Martin even if exposed when they could take younger guys with higher upside - though he may still get exposed - will depend on how much management values those Marlies wingers.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
like. wouldn't it have been better to expose say Matt Martin (because I doubt Vegas claims him) and save the money + contract slot?

Leafs have no interest in exposing players they wish to retain.

Exposing Smith is no risk regardless if he is claimed or not, as he is unlikely to play another game for the Leafs.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Although, Vegas may not claim him there maybe other teams who may ask Vegas to pick him up for them

Let's say the Habs who maybe interested in Martin, they may get Mcphee tp trade a 5th rounder for him. Vegas gets a free 5th rounder for just providing concierge service

oohhhhh.. i see. thanks, fahad :)
thanks everyone else who answered too.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Eh expansion fodder. He better not come anywhere near the Leafs next season.

Yeah, that's what I'm wondering. I really doubt Vegas would touch Martin even if exposed when they could take younger guys with higher upside - though he may still get exposed - will depend on how much management values those Marlies wingers.

The signing of Smith to protect Martin as one of their 7F spots should tell you that they don't value the Leipsic, Rychel and Levio types very highly as at least 2 will be expose.

Exposed now: Smith and Fehr as forwards and Marincin and Marchenko as dmen and Sparks as the goalie.

The Marlies just don't qualify meeting the minimum league requirements for NHL games played to be exposed as per the rules.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Waste of a contract unless they add a pick for Vegas to take him instead of Leivo.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Bye bye Rychel/Leivo/Leipsic. Can't believe Martin is getting protected.
If you followed closely its not a shock at all. He's in a mentorship role with Marner and Matthews about hard work and being professional, while Leo has that role with Willy and Kapanen. They want Martin around the youngsters and didn't want to lose him or alienate him by leaving him exposed. Keeping guys like Marner and Matthews happy should also be considered.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009

this always cracks me up.
even if the Leafs didn't protect Martin, one of Rychel/Leivo/Leipsic would still be exposed and they'd still be picked up.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
this always cracks me up.
even if the Leafs didn't protect Martin, one of Rychel/Leivo/Leipsic would still be exposed and they'd still be picked up.

Basically. Rychel/Leivo/Leipsic could all theoretically be left unprotected, but none would meet the 40/70 requirement, so two forwards would be required that do. Barring a trade, there's still a protection slot available for one of Rychel/Leivo/Leipsic in any case. Whether we lose one of the other two or not is another matter.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Basically. Rychel/Leivo/Leipsic could all theoretically be left unprotected, but none would meet the 40/70 requirement, so two forwards would be required that do. Barring a trade, there's still a protection slot available for one of Rychel/Leivo/Leipsic in any case. Whether we lose one of the other two or not is another matter.

and honestly, I doubt if we lost one (or all 3), it's going to significantly impact the Leafs moving forward anyway.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The signing of Smith to protect Martin as one of their 7F spots should tell you that they don't value the Leipsic, Rychel and Levio types very highly as at least 2 will be expose.

Exposed now: Smith and Fehr as forwards and Marincin and Marchenko as dmen and Sparks as the goalie.

The Marlies just don't qualify meeting the minimum league requirements for NHL games played to be exposed as per the rules.

We still have no idea if Martin will be protected or not regardless of this signing.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Waste of a contract unless they add a pick for Vegas to take him instead of Leivo.

A pick or maybe they toss in a few middling prospects for Vegas to take him. The Leafs are probably going to want to move out a few prospects anyway like they did in the Grabner deal.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
We still have no idea if Martin will be protected or not regardless of this signing.

I'd be surprised if he wasn't. Despite some vocal fan opinions, I've seen no indication that anyone who mattered (that is, Babcock, Lou, and company) were anything but pleased by Martin's play for the Leafs.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I'd be surprised if he wasn't. Despite some vocal fan opinions, I've seen no indication that anyone who mattered (that is, Babcock, Lou, and company) were anything but pleased by Martin's play for the Leafs.

This.

Whether you like the player or not is irrelevant. That he is an established well liked member of the Team should be pretty apparent.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Exposing him isnt the same as not liking him.

If management thought he wouldnt be taken by Vegas even if given the option then there wouldn't be a need to waste a protection spot on him.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Yeah, really shouldn't be shocking anyone (in terms of likely protecting Martin). Not simply here, but some people seemed shocked by the idea that the Leafs like having Martin on the team and want to protect him.

The team only signed him to a 4 year deal last summer and Babcock only played him in every single game this season. Of course they are going to protect him and make sure he isn't taken. Either by Vegas to use themselves or by Vegas so they can then trade him to someone who would like him on their fourth line.

Anyways, good for Smith. Not sure this guy has many NHL games ahead of him and getting this deal should lock him in for some decent money before he likely ends up in the AHL long term or in Europe or who knows where.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON

That's what leaf fans who don't care about hitz hoped was going to happen. He was one of the worst forwards in the NHL last season, and he's getting $7.5mil in the next 3 years. There is 0 chance he'd get scooped in expansion lmao.

Also, would it be the worst thing if he did? 2.5mil/season for a guy that scores 6 points.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

There are 2 scenarios

1. They signed Smith to fit the expansion requirements allowing them to protect Martin

2. They signed Smith because they think he has value to the team at that number, and think he's good depth

Smith is pretty bad, so I'd say the chances of #2 are pretty low, and it means there's a solid chance he gets games this year unless we're really healthy. Smith was awful this year. I have a hard time seeing them signing him to actually be competent depth. He also played exactly the number of games required this year for #1 purpose. I doubt that's a coincidence now that they resigned him.

This more than likely means they're protecting Martin. As much as I wouldn't. that's a more logical conclusion than them watching Smith this year and wanting to actually bring him back for hockey reasons.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

What I can't believe is that people think the Leafs offered Martin that contract and now aren't happy with what he's done.

He's exactly as advertised. If you don't like "goons" that's fine but a different argument. The Leafs obviously like Martin.

Ash35

Jan 29, 2010
Protecting Martin and allowing Leivo or Leipsic to go would be idiotic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad