Confirmed with Link: Maple Leafs Officially Sign Calle Rosen | Also Sign Andreas Borgman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Phew, this means we got the good one right?:sarcasm:

I would say good signing by Vancouver, but everything they touch seems to turn to disaster these days.

LOL well, Rosen is still a good Defenseman and will help our D but this...

Toronto Maple Leafs: Philip Holm Signs Elsewhere

https://editorinleaf.com/2017/05/26/toronto-maple-leafs-philip-holm-signs/

Moments ago, the Canucks announced that they had signed Holm to a one-year entry-level contract.

Let’s not forget that Holm just recently won gold with Sweden at the World Championships.

I know, Canada and Leafs fans, this one stings a bit.

Canucks general manager Jim Benning said this in a press release about Holm released earlier.

Philip is a mobile, two-way defenseman who adds depth to our blue line. He made strides in his development last season with Vaxjo and played a strong series with Sweden at the world championships. We’re please to welcome him to the Canucks organization.

It’s definitely possible that the Leafs felt comfortable with their two recent left-handed signings and felt that a third wasn’t necessary.

Maybe this means that they’re saving room for a right-handed guy, but who really knows in the end?

In my opinion, I think adding another lefty into the system is pointless anyways.

keon

Nov 9, 2002
Visit site
The key word in Jim Benning's quotation is "depth". He is simply a depth defenseman. It would be really nice to have signed him but his ceiling/floor is #5/#8. He is probable a more skilled Corrado. Holm probably would have been an upgrade on Marincin/Marchenko. I was hoping we would have signed him. Free wallet.

Interestingly Toronto gave Rosen and Borgman $850,000 potential performance bonus contracts. Holm does not appear to have any performance bonus. This may be an indication Toronto values Rosen and Borgman higher.

Last edited:

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Gardiner - Zaistev
Rielly - Rosen/Dermott
Borgman/Dermott - Carrick

Biggest need still of course is to get Rielly a proper capable partner because I expect him to make a leap defensively this year. While Rosen/Borgman/Dermott/Carrick may be capable, I wouldn't want to force them into a hard role if Rielly does play so outstanding he goes onto the top pairing.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
The odds of at least 1 of the swedes becoming a top 4 is pretty good i'd imagine. Yey us.

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
"THE BORG-MAN"

20140120-211108.jpg

A highlight-montage for.. Andreas Borgman (#55)..., who plays Defense position with the 2016-17 HV71 (SHL).....
..and with 2016-17 Team Finland U-20 (#10 )..., in the IIHF & WJC-20...

Andreas was signed as a free agent by the Toronto Maple Leafs.., on May 16th 2017... He coulkd start the season on the Marlies..,
but if he has a stellar Fall Training Camp... and Babs likes him..he might move right onto the Leafs, as Zaitsev did last season..

BB170202BB488-696x482.jpg

Andreas Borgman
Defense -- shoots L
Born Jun 18 1995 -- Stockholm, Sweden
22 yrs. ago
Height 6.00 -- Weight 205

RECENT STATS:

2015 -16 - VIK Västeras HK - Allsvenskan
52 Games... 5 Goals... 11 Assists... 16 Points... +3
----------------------------------------------------------
*2016-17 - HV71 - SHL
45 Games... 5 Goals... 10 Assists... 15 Points... +23
*2017 SHL PLAYOFFS
14 Games... 2 Goals... 8 Assists... 10 Points... +2
*2016-17 - Team Sweden - EHT
3 Games... 0 Goals... 0 Assists... 0 Points... -1
*2016-17 - Team Sweden - International Junior
4 Games... 0 Goals... 0 Assists... 0 Points... +/- 0
*2016-17 - HV71 - Champions HL
8 Games... 0 Goals... 0 Assists... 0 Points... - 9

Clips include: various goals and assists from Andrea's 2015-16 & 2016-17 seasons..; clips from a 2016 summer training day...;
....and other various 2015-2017 clips & photos...

The One You Want: Andreas Borgman 2015-2017 Highlights - TML (HD)

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Hopefully one of them is going to make this roster and can prove that they can play on small ice

Both Rosen and especially Borgman have potential to be a top "D" at some stage (hopefully sooner then later)

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Rosen has such a booming shot and Borgman has the speed. You can see what Lou say in both of them

Rosén is a very, very good skater as well. Seems wherever he goes, teammates marvel at his skating.

I keep thinking that given that our additions from the NHL either through trade or free agent has been a little lower profile, that these young Swede defenders might be the ticket. We weren't as aggressive with additions as we thought we might have been. I think they saw something there that could bode well for us.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Hopefully one of them is going to make this roster and can prove that they can play on small ice

I'm very curious about these two. Wanna see if the skating enables them to make the transition to Babcock hockey early enough to make the roster. More curious about them than anything else this fall.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Babcock scouting them personally, and likely gave the green light.

I think the fact they weren't at the development camp says a lot.

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
Babcock scouting them personally, and likely gave the green light.

I think the fact they weren't at the development camp says a lot.

That they're not rookies and newly drafted players? What...

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
I keep thinking that given that our additions from the NHL either through trade or free agent has been a little lower profile, that these young Swede defenders might be the ticket. We weren't as aggressive with additions as we thought we might have been. I think they saw something there that could bode well for us.

What's going to bode well for us is the amount of competition for a roster spot.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
both is pretty unlikely IMO.
rielly-Zaitsev
Gardiner-Hainsey
Dermott/Rosen/Borgman/Marincin-Marchenko/Liljegren (huge long shot)

You forgot Carrick but our top 7 could easily be (in no particular order):

Gardiner
Rielly
Zaitsev
Hainsey
Carrick
Borgman
Rosen

Depending on how they look in camp.

I'd love to squeeze Marincin off the roster.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
You forgot Carrick but our top 7 could easily be (in no particular order):

Gardiner
Rielly
Zaitsev
Hainsey
Carrick
Borgman
Rosen

Depending on how they look in camp.

I'd love to squeeze Marincin off the roster.

Why?

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I would say, Rosen makes the team out of camp. He was a sub on the WC team. I think he could become the #1 PP guy also.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara

Agreed. We need Marincin. He has value as a bottom pairing guy. Tends to take blame that he shouldn't. Becoming an effective defence man doesn't happen right away for some players - that doesn't mean it won't happen or isn't happening - it's a learning curve. As long as he's cheap I'd keep him.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Agreed. We need Marincin. He has value as a bottom pairing guy. Tends to take blame that he shouldn't. Becoming an effective defence man doesn't happen right away for some players - that doesn't mean it won't happen or isn't happening - it's a learning curve. As long as he's cheap I'd keep him.

I would think him being squeezed off the roster would be a good thing as it would mean we have someone better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad