Confirmed with Link: Maple Leafs officially receive 2018 third-round pick from Reimer trade

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
It still aggravates me that we have to compensate teams for signing personnel who weren't under contract. Moronic rule.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
It still aggravates me that we have to compensate teams for signing personnel who weren't under contract. Moronic rule.

They were under contract at the time we hired them.

Pretty sure this didn't happen.

We owe picks for both Babcock and Lou that must be paid out in the next three drafts.

The rule has since been scrapped, but as it was in place when we made the hirings we still owe.

Last edited:

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Sharks fan here.

Spaling has been the best of the three in the playoffs (although that's not fair to Reimer). He has some speed and plays a good 200 foot game. He's played some crucial minutes late in games. DeBoer loves him and hes been excellent on our 4th line.

Reimer was great during the regular season. He gave Jones a rest and a chance to win the games where Jones isn't playing. I haven't seen a goalie ever look more scrambley and nervous in net yet put up such great numbers. He's going to get paid this summer and he deserves it.

Polak took some adjusting. His pairing (Dillon-Polak) has put up some pretty brutal corsi numbers but hes been great on the PK. I don't think it was a great deal for us (although it was likely a handshake deal for the Reimer trade), but Polak has brought value. Once every few shifts you seem him break the zone and rush the puck like Brent Burns. He looks like a man on a mission. Also, no one wants to be a net front presence with him and Dillon there.

TLDR: All three have helped us get to were we are today. We likely overpaid but its worth it right now. I don't see any of them staying past this year though.

It's great to hear that all 3 are contributing. The best trades are when both teams win. Best of luck in the finals.

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
It's great to hear that all 3 are contributing. The best trades are when both teams win. Best of luck in the finals.
Polak's been a warrior for them I've watched a lot of their games. He even skates with the puck and brings it behind the other goalie's net at times, just like he did in toronto sometimes. Polak plays real dirty out there, he punches people everywhere and hurts their feelings. We lost a great playoff player in him.

Spaling's game also has made a mark on me. He is a solid 4th liner who can create offense and really wants those goals... wish him the best of luck. Reimer doesn't even have to play, Jones and san jose is that good.

Calder2017

May 18, 2016
Sharks fan here.

Spaling has been the best of the three in the playoffs (although that's not fair to Reimer). He has some speed and plays a good 200 foot game. He's played some crucial minutes late in games. DeBoer loves him and hes been excellent on our 4th line.

Reimer was great during the regular season. He gave Jones a rest and a chance to win the games where Jones isn't playing. I haven't seen a goalie ever look more scrambley and nervous in net yet put up such great numbers. He's going to get paid this summer and he deserves it.

Polak took some adjusting. His pairing (Dillon-Polak) has put up some pretty brutal corsi numbers but hes been great on the PK. I don't think it was a great deal for us (although it was likely a handshake deal for the Reimer trade), but Polak has brought value. Once every few shifts you seem him break the zone and rush the puck like Brent Burns. He looks like a man on a mission. Also, no one wants to be a net front presence with him and Dillon there.

TLDR: All three have helped us get to were we are today. We likely overpaid but its worth it right now. I don't see any of them staying past this year though.

Thank you so much! Really appreciate the deep and excellent analysis! It was very helpful for me. I wish you guys the best in the finals! : )

Animal

Oct 10, 2012
we'd still use ours though which is what the poster you quoted said.

Scenario A: Our 3rd rounder is the highest of all 3rds we own -> We have to give them our 3rd

Scenario B: Our 3rd rounder is not the higest of all 3rd we own, say we have 77 from San Jose, and we own 82. We can give them either, by why would we give them 77 when we can give them our 82 pick?

It either has to be our pick, or it makes sense for it to be our pick. Either way it's our pick.

Getting San Jose's 3rd just means we'll still have a 3rd in that round after losing ours.

Could we not then trade our 3rd this year for someone (ex: Yakupov) in which case the New Jersey 3rd will be our only 3rd, and we give up that one instead?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Both were under contract. Lou's a bit more frustrating, but Babcock wanted it over with, and every team that wanted to talk to him agreed to the stipulation. I think it was much better to get him in early than wait til July 1st.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Me too - it was a silly rule which is why the league quickly got rid of it.

Sucks that the a leafs still have to hand over the picks, but maybe Liu can work his magic to get out of it

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Me too - it was a silly rule which is why the league quickly got rid of it.

Sucks that the a leafs still have to hand over the picks, but maybe Liu can work his magic to get out of it
To be fair, the reason Leafs are giving up picks is what the rule was intended for. It was absurd teams had to give up picks for fired personnel though (which in some cases saved the owners of the team getting the pick a lot of money). We gave up a 3rd rounder for a world class coach, and the right to negotiate with him before his contract expired. That seems fine to me. Lou's a bit different as he seemed to be forced out to a ceremonial position, but I'm still fine with it.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
They were under contract at the time we hired them.

We owe picks for both Babcock and Lou that must be paid out in the next three drafts.

The rule has since been scrapped, but as it was in place when we made the hirings we still owe.

I have to wonder if we will just ignore it? The one thing I always admired about Lou was his ability to wiggle in the system. It was absolutely stupid of him to not use his pick from the Kovalchuk deal earlier on but he held out and the league backed off when it would have really put the screws to him.

Seems a little tough for the league to justify these pick payouts when they abandoned the idea after a year.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I have to wonder if we will just ignore it? The one thing I always admired about Lou was his ability to wiggle in the system. It was absolutely stupid of him to not use his pick from the Kovalchuk deal earlier on but he held out and the league backed off when it would have really put the screws to him.

Seems a little tough for the league to justify these pick payouts when they abandoned the idea after a year.
It'd be funny, but I think they have to honour the Detroit agreement. They actually signed something agreeing to it, in order to start negotiations. It would be funny seeing Lou tell New Jersey in effect that he isn't worth anything.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Sharks fan here.

That's cause he coached him in Juniors in Kitchener, and knows what he can bring. They hosted the Memorial Cup that year but also went in as the OHL Champs (beating Belleville in 7 games) but lost in the Memorial Cup final to Spokane. The Azevedo-Spaling-Halischuk line was very key. (Kadri was also on that team)

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto

Technically they were under contract, but yeah, I agree. Babcock wasn't going back to Detroit, for example.

Worse still, now they've canceled the rule after a mere 11 months, essentially screwing teams like us who needed to make management and coaching hires during that time without allowing us to get anything if someone hires management or coaches we now have in place. They really should have canceled the compensation entirely or at least gave us a compensatory pick at the back of the 3rd round in each of those years like they gave the Devils after Kovalchuk left to Russia.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Reimer for Babcock anyone?

We have 2 firsts(Mathews) this year, 2 - 2nd rounders this year and 6 - 2nd rounders over the next 2 drafts plus Babcock and Lou.We also made a killing off Winnik not to mention Franson, Santorelli. We gave up 2 - 17 percent chances, years down the road.

Reimer got us Babcock.

Cokenfries

Nov 10, 2014
We have 2 firsts(Mathews) this year, 2 - 2nd rounders this year and 6 - 2nd rounders over the next 2 drafts plus Babcock and Lou.We also made a killing off Winnik not to mention Franson, Santorelli. We gave up 2 - 17 percent chances, years down the road.

Reimer got us Babcock.

Just like Jocelyn Thibault got Penguins Stanley Cup :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad