Confirmed with Link: Maple Leafs officially receive 2018 third-round pick from Reimer trade

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
The Toronto Maple Leafs will have a higher pick than expected at the 2018 NHL Draft.

With the San Jose Sharks advancing to the Stanley Cup Final on Wednesday night, the conditional 2018 fourth-round pick Toronto received in the James Reimer trade will become a third-round pick in 2018.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/maple-leafs-officially-receive-third-round-pick-reimer-trade/

Good on Reimer and congratulations to the Sharks organization. May not be much, but getting a 3rd round pick in 2018 for Reimer is pretty good imo.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
So both goalies now have Stanley Cup finals experience as a back-up.

If Reimer signs a 1 year deal, watch the Leaf forum explode.

Beaninfritz

Aug 27, 2009
Happy for the Sharks. They're the team from the west that I've been rooting for from the start.

This further confirms my theory that McLellan was a problem. He had a stacked team for years, and failed to get to the finals. Last season they dropped hard, he got canned, then he goes to Edmonton. A team that just drafted Connor McJesus. With plenty of experienced high caliber offensive players (which also fired their AHL coach who came up and actually started turning the team around, before McLellan came along).

How does that team end up? One point shy of being in last place.

How well has San Jose done? They're finally in the cup finals.

Now one can argue that our team did one point worse than Edmonton. But seriously, look at this past season's roster. We were absolutely godawful offensively.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
So both goalies now have Stanley Cup finals experience as a back-up.

If Reimer signs a 1 year deal, watch the Leaf forum explode.

Why would the forum explode? Has nothing to do with the Leafs any longer.

If he can only get a 1 year deal it may be time for him to find another league.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
we traded 6 weeks of Reimer for 8 years of Babcock.

After Reimer was run down to injury and his value dropped.
Every donkey could have done better.
But not enough, bringing Reimer back too early, what a brain trust.

JonnyMacAwesome

Jan 27, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Happy for the Sharks. They're the team from the west that I've been rooting for from the start.

This further confirms my theory that McLellan was a problem. He had a stacked team for years, and failed to get to the finals. Last season they dropped hard, he got canned, then he goes to Edmonton. A team that just drafted Connor McJesus. With plenty of experienced high caliber offensive players (which also fired their AHL coach who came up and actually started turning the team around, before McLellan came along).

Now one can argue that our team did one point worse than Edmonton. But seriously, look at this past season's roster. We were absolutely godawful offensively.

lol putting the Oilers fate solely on McLellan is a bit lofty. How have the Oilers done the past 4 or 5 seasons without him?

McDavid was injured for half the season. I have no doubt the standing would have been slightly different if he was around for 82 games(and kept his scoring pace of course)

Now I'm not defending the Oilers, they are horrible still...

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
We can use any 3rd rounder, but if we choose not to use our own, the other one has to be higher than ours. In that scenario we just trade them ours.

unless we win the cup in 2018.
then we have options :nod:
i'm kiddding, kidding...or am i?

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
unless we win the cup in 2018.
then we have options :nod:
i'm kiddding, kidding...or am i?

we'd still use ours though which is what the poster you quoted said.

Scenario A: Our 3rd rounder is the highest of all 3rds we own -> We have to give them our 3rd

Scenario B: Our 3rd rounder is not the higest of all 3rd we own, say we have 77 from San Jose, and we own 82. We can give them either, by why would we give them 77 when we can give them our 82 pick?

It either has to be our pick, or it makes sense for it to be our pick. Either way it's our pick.

Getting San Jose's 3rd just means we'll still have a 3rd in that round after losing ours.

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head

Glad he is with Edmonton now

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
This might be the most overrated upgrade ever. LOL

I'd probably care more if this wasn't three drafts away.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
The Sharks run was perfectly timed for us though. Make the Cup final this year improving our 2018 3rd, and the 3 picks we got from them were '17, '18, '18 when they could be back in the middle of the league again thus those picks could be better than this years picks

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Although not a great trade. I'll take the 3rd for Reimer. Getting him off the team and giving Sparks more starts was a great tank move. :handclap:

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Theoretically better for us in any case. Always found it interesting that the condition was related to team performance rather than the traded player's. Makes sense though since we didn't get any futures in the trade. Still hoping Tampa can eliminate Pittsburgh too!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad