Sportsnet: Maple Leafs must add proven defenders, move on from all-offence identity

Status
Not open for further replies.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Maple Leafs must add proven defenders, move on from all-offence identity - Sportsnet.ca

Interesting fact from the article

Do you know what the NHL’s top nine defensive teams (by goals allowed per game) in 2019-20 all have in common?
They’re all alive and well in the playoffs. The real ones that start Tuesday. That group includes the Columbus Blue Jackets.

Do you know what the bottom 10 defensive teams in 2019-20 all have in common?
They’re all eliminated. That group includes the Maple Leafs, who lost Sunday’s decisive Game 5 by a score of 3-0.

I thought it was a very well written article based in facts instead of "beliefs"

Also, paging @Mess - to all those who countered you with their stupid dubas loving offense only philosophy you can always quote the fact above (heck just go through the history of conference finalists and GA/G in regular season and you will see a pattern).

And once again this might sound like me harping on dubas; personally I have nothing against Dubas; but I love MAPLE LEAFS; and if someone is screwing up the team I love ; I take VERY STRONG objection to it.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
No?

Why are we focusing on defense in a series that the Leafs gave up very few good chances to the Jackets? Lets face it. If Andersen is the Jackets goalie, Leafs win this series easily.

They need to figure out what went wrong with the offense and why it was shut out twice in a 5 game series.

They need to move certain types of similar wingers like one of Nylander or Marner, two of Mikheyev, Johnsson, Kapanen, etc.

We need 2-3 more Hyman type wingers on the team so that when the going gets tough, they don't stop playing.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
No?

Why are we focusing on defense in a series that the Leafs gave up very few good chances to the Jackets? Lets face it. If Andersen is the Jackets goalie, Leafs win this series easily.

They need to figure out what went wrong with the offense and why it was shut out twice in a 5 game series.

They need to move certain types of similar wingers like one of Nylander or Marner, two of Mikheyev, Johnsson, Kapanen, etc.

We need 2-3 more Hyman type wingers on the team so that when the going gets tough, they don't stop playing.

Did you watch Leafs playing in their own zone at all?

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
No?

Lol. Come on man, the Leafs were absolutely horrendous defensively.

Those “Very few good chances given up” were only because Columbus sat back and played a trap style game every single time they had the lead in the series.

ChickenMcNugget

Jun 20, 2014
Ontario, CA
7/10 most offensive teams are still in the playoffs.

This is biased article given the premature exit but that is what is expected. I still know that leafs have a good core of matthews, tavares, rielly, anderson and honestly making trades always carry huge risks that more often works against you than for you. I am fine with the leafs keeping an offensive identity but they ofcourse need to fill in the holes just like any other team.

What's really needs to change is the mentality and playing with effort consistently. I dont know how to change that maybe its the coach or a few bad players. Either way adding in a star defenseman at the expense of creating another hole is not going to change that.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Maple Leafs must add proven defenders, move on from all-offence identity - Sportsnet.ca

Interesting fact from the article

I thought it was a very well written article based in facts instead of "beliefs"

Also, paging @Mess - to all those who countered you with their offense only philosophy you can always quote the fact above (heck just go through the history of conference finalists and GA/G in regular season and you will see a pattern).

"Defense win Championships"

"Good teams are built from the goalie out through strong defense ..."

:)

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
Did you watch Leafs playing in their own zone at all?
I mean that poster also thinks nobody from the 2020 draft will ever be as good as Marner

I think he says stuff for a rise out of people - I mean his name doesnt help his case

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
Somebody correct me if I am wrong but what the HELL do we have to lose by just playing Rasmus and Lilly going forward? They are young and skilled and cannot by any worse than Ceci and Marincin?

We also have Mikko Lehtonen who we picked up not long ago.

What would we have to lose by just playing

Rasmus
Lilly
Lehtonen

We are already losing and the backend already is a tire fire. Why not have

Reilly
Dermott
Muzz
Rasmus
Lilly
Lehtonen

I am also kind of amazed we have not even draft lucked into a top top Dman. Hell some teams do it over and over (Tampa Canes Bruins)

Last edited:
Reactions: 93WrapAround

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
All offence sells jerseys and puts fans in the seats. Clearly thats more important to Dubas than constructing a balanced team.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Somebody correct me if I am wrong but what the HELL do we have to lose by just playing Rasmus and Lilly going forward? They are young and skilled and cannot by any worse than Ceci and Marincin?

We also have Mikko Lehtonen who we picked up not long ago.

What would we have to lose by just playing

Rasmus
Lilly
Lehtonen

We are already losing and the backend already is a tire fire. Why not have

Reilly
Dermott
Muzz
Rasmus
Lilly
Lehtonen

I am also kind of amazed we have not even draft lucked into a top top Dman. Hell some teams do it over and over (Tampa Canes Bruins)

That would be a great D in a tank year. Leafs tried going with 3 rookies on D with McGill, Benning and Boimstruck. That did not go well.

Papi 4 Hart

Nov 9, 2018
This is the biggest wake up call ever that Dubas philosophy is'nt going to work. We lost our best defensive d man from injury (which happens in the playoffs regularly) and our team fell apart defensively. You can't rely on one player to hold you together at the seams (see McDavid in Edmonton).

Last edited:

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
No?

If we played any other team we would have been torched every night. Our defense was brutal and Freddy was actually fine for the most part.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
An overlooked narrative from the series is actually that the Leafs by most accounts were fine defensively. They limited the Jackets high danger chances. And a fair number of the Jackets goals were flukey (the game winner during game 5 for example)

It wasn't perfect by any stretch, but it showed the system was effective. If/when the team gets better top four guys either via trade free agency or internal development of guys like Sandlin it will be even better.

The Leafs lost the series because their offensive guys couldn't deliver when needed, not because they were a defensive train wreck.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
An even series that was decided in a sudden death match, which has been Toronto’s kryptonite thus far, isn’t proof that the Leafs couldnt have won that series.

Defense may have beat offense, but it was a coin flip more than anything.

With that said, I agree big changes need to be made. However, I thought I’d sour on the big 4 after this series but I’ve realized how critical they are. The Leafs lost the depth and goaltending battle. The only reason the series was close was on the backs on Matthews, JT and Rielly +/- Marner.

In addition to the obvious need for a top pairing RHD, they need a 3rd line and 4th line that can contribute every time they’re on the ice. They need a 7D that isn’t AHL calibre.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
This is the biggest wake up call ever that Dubas philosophy is going to work. We lost our best defensive d man from injury (which happens in the playoffs regularly) and our team fell apart defensively. You can't rely on one player to hold you together at the seams (see McDavid in Edmonton).
The team never fell apart defensively. They gave up 1.68 expected goals against/60 at 5v5 without Muzzin. Only the Flyers and Calgary were better

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
No?

This may sound a bit simplistic but I think it's both.

They need to change their identity a bit in the top 6/9 and upgrade at least the top pairing.

Obviously CLB's strength is their defensive identity and that top pair, so I wouldn't suddenly expect Toronto to have that, but our defender never really feel dangerous defensively or offensively. Rielly does a decent job but he usually shoots wide from the point and isn't exactly a bruiser.

And then as you said, in the top 6/9 they have too many similar players. Need some more guys who function like Hyman.

Doing nothing and stagnating is the worse option going forward. In a perfect world we turn Nylander or Marner and Johnsson into a more suitable winger and a top pairing rhd. I'd personally trade Andersen as well, and that's not just in response to this series where I thought he was okay. I have many reasons for that belief but don't want to derail the thread.

Edit: I agree with the above as well. The depth failed the team more than anyone. Which is probably more of a reason they'll need to reallocate some salary.

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
That would be a great D in a tank year. Leafs tried going with 3 rookies on D with McGill, Benning and Boimstruck. That did not go well.

But we are already not winning? If we are not winning then what do we have to lose?

Maybe swap out one of them (maybe Lilly for now) for Holl (who I thought played well)

Reilly
Dermott
Muzz
Sandin
Holl
Lehtonen

I am actually fine with Lilly as well and they eventually have to grow and become NHL D. Many teams play younger prospects and work through mistakes.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
You can't win this one because people will quote Pens who did it twice with 2 generational centres in their primes ... it has occured in Stanley Cup history but twice/thrice in over 100 years in not good odds really ...

but pens did not ice AHL calibre Defense though

- 2009 pens traded for Hal Gill
- 2nd cup they traded for Ron Hainsey (and I think Letang was injured and couldn't play but that did not impact pens' team defense, unlike the leafs - Muzzin gets hurt and we dont have a D capable of clearing the crease or playing competent positional D to get the freakin puck out of the zone)
- 3rd cup i am not really sure about their roster make up

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
But we are already not winning? If we are not winning then what do we have to lose?

Maybe swap out one of them (maybe Lilly for now) for Holl (who I thought played well)

Reilly
Dermott
Muzz
Sandin
Holl
Lehtonen

I am actually fine with Lilly as well and they eventually have to grow and become NHL D. Many teams play younger prospects and work through mistakes.

The goal is to try to win. Dubas and Shanny would be risking their jobs going with those 3 rookies if it goes south.

Reactions: TopChedder

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
This is the biggest wake up call ever that Dubas philosophy is going to work. We lost our best defensive d man from injury (which happens in the playoffs regularly) and our team fell apart defensively. You can't rely on one player to hold you together at the seams (see McDavid in Edmonton).
We need 3 Muzzy's because as you stated perfectly sh*t happens to d cores and having only 1 is a strategic error

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
An overlooked narrative from the series is actually that the Leafs by most accounts were fine defensively. They limited the Jackets high danger chances. And a fair number of the Jackets goals were flukey (the game winner during game 5 for example)

It wasn't perfect by any stretch, but it showed the system was effective. If/when the team gets better top four guys either via trade free agency or internal development of guys like Sandlin it will be even better.

The Leafs lost the series because their offensive guys couldn't deliver when needed, not because they were a defensive train wreck.

This is an inaccurate and biased representation. CBJ are NOT an offensive team their bread and butter is defense; they exploited toronto's defensive lapses to a T

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad