Confirmed with Link: Maple Leafs Hire Mike Babcock as Head Coach: 8 years, 50 million

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
Some people still think the best way to tank is to really go hard for last place. Buffalo might advise differently. Even Edmonton doesn't try to be as bad as they are. We will still draft relatively high with Babcock, maybe even win a lottery. What is more important is that the team has the structure and culture for kids to come excel and learn in. Babcock will help that immensely.

Also, building through the draft means getting good at developing low picks. Another thing Babcock will help with

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Babcock is being paid like an NHL star player.

Only 44 NHL players will make more money than Babcock next year in the NHL and 2 of those are Leafs in Kessel and Phaneuf.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
per usual guys, i'll try to transcribe the presser for you.

i don't have my laptop, so i will be using a very small keyboard, with a very very trigger-happy auto-correct.

(does anyone have the TML live URL?) so i am all set up and ready?)

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Good for the Leafs.

If there was no salary cap they'd have a payroll out of reach of most franchises, so putting the ransom money from fans into coaching isn't an outrageous idea.

Babcock isn't taking over a Scotty Bowman structured team so this isn't going to be as easy for him.

Lots of noise in Calgary about this ... trying to make it out to be something it isn't.

IMO, I don't believe he was hired with the expectations the Leafs should now be considered a playoffs contender.

With an eight year contract (or 5) my expectation is he teaches the team how to play a structured game, and perhaps cast off the players who refuse to buy-in and play a professional game, putting the team first.

I know there are posters here who do not like the Wings or the style of game the Wings played. I liked their style (even if some found it boring), it was more about patience, and puck management. Going to be funny to see how opinions change now that Babcock is on this side of fence. ;)

Heck, people have called for Shanahan to be fired because he didn't completely change the Leafs in less than a year. I'm sure those same fans will be clamoring for Babcock's head if they aren't a contender within 2 years.

The approach the Leafs are taking seems a little more mature and professional than I've seen for ... can't remember how long. Fletcher's first go round, and even then I thought the Fuhr and Anderson trade were short term.

No hot air.
No ridiculous proclamations.
No rush to judgment .
No chest pounding.

Seems almost Canadian like.

Not sure what we'll see next, player transactions or the GM. In either case, just do it right.

Welcome aboard Mr. Babcock.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
i actually thought i added that in there. (i referenced that last night). so pretend it is there. :laugh:

I can't remember lol, i'm at work so some details are lost.

I hope we give Nylander time at centre in the AHL next year, that could be huge for us.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Good for the Leafs.

If there was no salary cap they'd have a payroll out of reach of most franchises, so putting the ransom money from fans into coaching isn't an outrageous idea.

Babcock isn't taking over a Scotty Bowman structured team so this isn't going to be as easy for him.

Lots of noise in Calgary about this ... trying to make it out to be something it isn't.

IMO, I don't believe he was hired with the expectations the Leafs should now be considered a playoffs contender.

With an eight year contract (or 5) my expectation is he teaches the team how to play a structured game, and perhaps cast off the players who refuse to buy-in and play a professional game, putting the team first.

I know there are posters here who do not like the Wings or the style of game the Wings played. I liked their style (even if some found it boring), it was more about patience, and puck management. Going to be funny to see how opinions change now that Babcock is on this side of fence. ;)

Heck, people have called for Shanahan to be fired because he didn't completely change the Leafs in less than a year. I'm sure those same fans will be clamoring for Babcock's head if they aren't a contender within 2 years.

The approach the Leafs are taking seems a little more mature and professional than I've seen for ... can't remember how long. Fletcher's first go round, and even then I thought the Fuhr and Anderson trade were short term.

No hot air.
No rush to judgment .
No chest pounding.

Not sure what we'll see next, player transactions or the GM. In either case, just do it right.

A lot of good posts this morning and kudos ULF on this post, I agree completely.

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
I don't think it's disclosed, but I believe I saw a report saying that Q was the highest paid coach in the league, followed second by Babcock (obv. prior to yesterday). Keep in mind that NHL coaches on average make about 1-2 mil a year (not including incentives).

Sportsnet showed Q @ 2.75, and Julien next over 2 (2.15 I think, but wasn't paying a ton of attention after Q.) This was this morning.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012

Links?

I know there are posters here who do not like the Wings or the style of game the Wings played. I liked their style (even if some found it boring), it was more about patience, and puck management.

I am tired of hearing people say they want to be entertained. You know what's entertaining? Winning. If Babcock leads them to that then I don't care what style the team plays.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Good for the Leafs.

No hot air.
No rush to judgment .
No chest pounding.

Substance over style, huge change from Burke to Shanahan (different roles, but both are figureheads)

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Hilarious how you guys feel the need to reference Burke at this stage. As if he had anything to do with the extensions Nonis handed out in an effort to try to win now and save his job.

Shanahan's mandate has nothing to do with Burke's blueprint at all. The only remnant is the drafting of Rielly. Should Shanny get rid of him?

Seriously, man. Get over the whole Burke thing.

Funnier yet when they praised Nonis as a breath of fresh air and Clarkson as exactly what the team needs.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
Good for the Leafs.

No hot air.
No rush to judgment .
No chest pounding.

Well said! Great post :handclap:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Good for the Leafs.

No hot air.
No rush to judgment .
No chest pounding.

Mckenzie said Futa could work in this environement last night. It sounds like it is between he and Mcphee for the VP/GM position. S Burke may be brought on too from the hints gathered.

The visible Mgt team or the face of it will be a Futa/Babcock 2 headed monster. Shanahan will remain in the background.

If Futa comes aboard. It will be hard not to like a Futa/Babcock face of the franchise. Both men have the experience and resumes that would make most teams envious.

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
What site will be streaming the press conference online for those of us at work?

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
I have to say, reading the posts in the MGMT thread at around two nights ago to yesterday at like noon are a very entertaining read

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad