Maple Leafs GM Nonis refuses to sacrifice future for short-term fix

studebaker17

Jan 24, 2010
If that's what he wants, he does not understand hockey and it will never work, and, I will tell you why it won't work.

If the team is incompatible between lines in the case of injuries nobody can slot in. They will never find chemistry and will always be lost.

A Template would be like this

PF PF SN
PF PF SN
PF PF SN
PF PF PF

3 offensive lines built with POwer forwards and a sniping winger. You can change the type of line you build but the best way is to maintain integrity to the template.

This way if the 2LW goes down to injury a similar type 3LW goes up.

It's how you plan that make the difference and you can't use the ADD methods currently in place, there is no solid structure. Get two injuries the team as is crumbles to pieces

not sure what you mean by power forward because no team has that many or ever has unless your standards are a lot less than mine for pf's. the team is still a work in progress and already sorta resembles your template. you could call
jvr pf,......., kessel sn
lupol pf, ........, raymond sn
kulemin pf, ........., clarkson pf
who ever
bolland adds a lot that's missing, bozak does really well for what he gets paid. kadri is disapointing right now but he may improve. positions can be upgraded and depth is definitely a problem. a power center is a big missing point. if it was me i'd trade kadri and probably gardiner to try and address the power center problem. i think kadri will always leave you wanting more and gards is replaceable . either that or use the package to acquire a top line d.
the way it's going even if they are in a playoff race i'd ship out anyone they are not intending on resigning . franson especially !

leafstilldeath*

You realize that player started off the season as the #2C and turned his wingers to stone.

As for the shortened season excuse, I guess nothing matters. The Hawks cup didn't happen. Your lack of logic or selective reasoning continues to never cease to amaze here.

Again trying to get this thread back on track, what in Bozak's performance this season has you so upset?

You lack of logic in using one season to berate a player while putting another on a pedastal based on 22 games and ignoring a full body of work is stupidity.

22 games this season still many games to go. You have outright ignored the facts presented to you.

lol Is the word logic in your dictionary?

And if it is does it say, one season, in brackets?

Penalty Kill Icing*

Either way, Nonis looks like a guy totally content with the idea of tanking.

Leafs fans probably don't want it, but his intentions of keeping Carlyle suggest Nonis thinks he got a perfect tank commander in Carlyle.

Patience

Sep 8, 2013
when the cap is maxed out what team will taken on a contract? Future value is in the future while sustaining the current value.

There are many NHL teams that had the cap room for Grabovski this past summer if they thought he was worth taking a chance on.

Grabo's value was is and will always be higher than Bozak and Clarkson. If you fail to see that then there is nothing more one can ad to the argument.

Yet, only Bozak and Clarkson had serious interest from the league in July. Grabovski was an afterthought signing just before training camp in September. #logic

Bozak has only played 22 games and of those 22 games he has only played 5 games against top notch NHL team as the standings stand today.

You are taking a small sample size and running your story. That is inaccurate and very inconsistent. In statistical world that sample will be rejected as not enough data points to run even a simple statistical test.

You know we've all seen Grabovski play before. He's not some hidden talent we've missed. He's a brave little son of a gun but he's a mediocre defensive player, doesn't use his linemates well, takes foolish risks and can get physically man handled. When taken out of a prominent offensive role last season, his replacement (Kadri) produced higher than Grabovski has EVER produced in the NHL.

leafstilldeath*

Either way, Nonis looks like a guy totally content with the idea of tanking.

Leafs fans probably don't want it, but his intentions of keeping Carlyle suggest Nonis thinks he got a perfect tank commander in Carlyle.

THe only reason I do not want another coach now, too late to fire this clown. he is the tank commander for sure.

Unless he changes his ways of how he handles players and adjusts the system to the players he has available instead of playing the system of players he wished he had

I will not back this clown. That is a one dimensional coach.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
You lack of logic in using one season to berate a player while putting another on a pedastal based on 22 games and ignoring a full body of work is stupidity.

22 games this season still many games to go. You have outright ignored the facts presented to you.

lol Is the word logic in your dictionary?

And if it is does it say, one season, in brackets?

Do you ever understand a simple question? What in Bozak's play this season has you so upset?

If you are upset at his play as a rookie or are holding his play to accountability of what happened 3 or 4 years ago under an awful coach and team. You need to get with the present.

Why are you complaining about a player that is second in PPG average this season, is a +4, and was obviously missed when he was injured? Simple questions, can you answer them?

dsf

Dec 7, 2009
Brampton
I appreciate that Nonis is saying the right things but I fear he lacks the ability to execute. We will see.

I'm indifferent on Carlyle. I don't think it's his fault as the players are on the ice, but if they replace him I wouldn't be particularly upset.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
I don't think it's news to anyone that Carlyle seems suspect on utilizing the tools in his tool box properly. I hear what you're saying about grabo not being given a chance on the bigger lines but it didn't happen. So speculating on what might have happened is pointless. You can see why it was done.

Horrible season stat wise and the -10 in the playoffs was his death sentence IMO

studebaker17

Jan 24, 2010
How about trading Kessel for Seguin? Serious question. It makes us younger and gives a centre. I doubt Dallas makes that move, but would you?

it's a wash and doesn't change a thing . seguin may be a center but he's the same type of player kessel is not what this team needs.

leafstilldeath*

There are many NHL teams that had the cap room for Grabovski this past summer if they thought he was worth taking a chance on.

Yet, only Bozak and Clarkson had serious interest from the league in July. Grabovski was an afterthought signing just before training camp in September. #logic

You know we've all seen Grabovski play before. He's not some hidden talent we've missed. He's a brave little son of a gun but he's a mediocre defensive player, doesn't use his linemates well, takes foolish risks and can get physically man handled. When taken out of a prominent offensive role last season, his replacement (Kadri) produced higher than Grabovski has EVER produced in the NHL.

And I would have preferred bozak and clarkson on other team with their contracts. It is funny that everybody keeps bringing that up yet no direct quotes exist where they say bozak and clarkson left X amount of money on the table from X team etc....

simply put you are content with mediocrity I am not. If it makes you happy fine do not think that mediocrity makes everyone happy.

Kadri is a superior player to Grabo. 2nd, Kadri played sheltered minutes against 3rd tier Ds.

If bozak played against other team's top line day in and day out we would have seen the defensive prowess and offensive skills of bozak to fruition.

leafstilldeath*

Do you ever understand a simple question? What in Bozak's play this season has you so upset?

If you are upset at his play as a rookie or are holding his play to accountability of what happened 3 or 4 years ago under an awful coach and team. You need to get with the present.

Why are you complaining about a player that is second in PPG average this season, is a +4, and was obviously missed when he was injured? Simple questions, can you answer them?

Do you understand a simple question? What has bozak done in his whole body of work to play on the leafs in a top6 role for 5 years?

22 games? thats your argument? great lol. small sample size doesn't mean squat.

TankNationTillDeath

Pylon4Sale
Jan 10, 2014
Toronto
Nonuts is ridiculous .. other than saying he would not trade a younger player for an older player everything he said was flat out wrong.

Time to fire Nonis and bring in Niuwendyk
Time to fire Carlyle and bring in Dougie

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Do you understand a simple question? What has bozak done in his whole body of work to play on the leafs in a top6 role for 5 years?

22 games? thats your argument? great lol. small sample size doesn't mean squat.
Allowed his wingers to be very productive NHL players. That's the simple and easy answer. That line has never really struggled to produce with Bozak on the top line, so why switch it up? Even if the Leafs acquired a #1C, I wouldn't put him with JVr and Kessel because that line produces well on a regular basis.

Riellyfan04

Feb 25, 2010
Toronto On
I don't know why people are hating on Bozak so much, he's been pretty good for our team... This is why we don't get top ufas, the fans put way to much pressure on them... We all gotta chill and give this team time! Stop throwing every player under the bus so fast...

Penalty Kill Icing*

^ I don't know bud. We just landed Clarkson. Best UFA of the off-season. AINEC.

Allowed his wingers to be very productive NHL players. That's the simple and easy answer. That line has never really struggled to produce with Bozak on the top line, so why switch it up? Even if the Leafs acquired a #1C, I wouldn't put him with JVr and Kessel because that line produces well on a regular basis.

And that is why Leafs will never win anything meaningful.

After Burke, Nonis continues to do the same thing. Let us try to build our team around a soft 1D winger and let us see how it works out.

Best teams have a very good if not elite #1C (Bruins) and then get wingers for them. In Leafs land, it is the opposite.

It is not Bozak's fault we don't have better C though.

Patience

Sep 8, 2013
simply put you are content with mediocrity I am not. If it makes you happy fine do not think that mediocrity makes everyone happy.

I think you say this for no other reason than as a disingenuous insult. As after all, Grabovski isn't a special NHL player in any way. As top 6 centers in the NHL go, he's decidedly mediocre. So I guess you're blissfully content with mediocrity in your players ruing the loss of a player who'll be long forgotten in 5 years time.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
And that is why Leafs will never win anything meaningful.

After Burke, Nonis continues to do the same thing. Let us try to build our team around a soft 1D winger and let us see how it works out.

Best teams have a very good if not elite #1C (Bruins) and then get wingers for them. In Leafs land, it is the opposite.

It is not Bozak's fault we don't have better C though.
The best teams assemble their roster as players come along, they don't want to acquire a C before a W of D, etc..

You get the best assets available and build from there.

Penalty Kill Icing*

The best teams assemble their roster as players come along, they don't want to acquire a C before a W of D, etc..

Only problem is now you go after players that are best for what you have, rather than what is necessary.

Either way, our incompetent management for year after year keeps digging us in bigger holes every consecutive seasons. We will never draft a Kreji or a Bergeron; because we had a genius GM who traded away 1st rounders, and his successor trades away 2nd rounders. And when we do have 1st rounders, we draft Biggs and Gauthier - where consensus about those prospects is bottom 6 NHL potential right from the day they are drafted. :laugh:

studebaker17

Jan 24, 2010
tanking could very well end up being the exact same thing they have now or worse just as easily as ending up a chicago. most of the leafs key players were high draft picks and thinking we could draft better players is a bit of a fantasy. they have lots of key players they just need to keep adding to them to increase the depth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad