Maple Leafs GM Nonis refuses to sacrifice future for short-term fix

Penalty Kill Icing*

They had a 50 game slump and were played wrong. You could put Lupul or Kessel in a 3rd line checking role and they would slump to. I guess you guys just like giving assets away for nothing.

Call me up in 5 years after you are on you 5th set third liners trying to figure out where the production is.

This nailed it. So much. I love the logic on Leafs board. If Grabo and Mac don't produce in a checking role, just say "They played themselves off the team or got outplayed". When Clarkson can't produce, it is because "He plays in a checking role." OR "He wasn't brought here to produce offense." No **** Sherlock, he gets paid 5 million in a salary cap and you are telling me offense isn't expected? Are you ****ing kidding me?

:laugh: at double standards.

Our bottom 6 is NEVER a threat this season to score. NEVER! I doubt opposition teams ever draw up a strategy about containing scoring chances from our bottom 6.

TMLS

Oct 30, 2013
London, Ontario
I like this guy.

Remember how ppl wanted kadri for luongo.

I would trade for an upgrade of similar age.

Kadri + for Duchene (if possible) or seguin. Obviously these aren't happening but concept wise this is the kid of trade for the leafs.

you realize that trades doesnt work like in NHL 14 be a gm mode?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
It's cool they will just keep throwing away assets and teams who have good asset management will keep getting better.

We are pretty much the guy in line at the soup kitchen looking for someone to give us a hot meal.

Please give us Holland we don't have anything better and its all we can afford right now, please sir if we fall on good times will give you a second I promise.

Begger team

Last edited by a moderator:

The Caveman

We are all the goat
Jan 14, 2007
Montreal, PQ
It's cool they will just keep throwing away assets and teams who have good asset management will keep getting better.

We are pretty much the guy in line at the soup kitchen looking for someone to give us a hot meal.

Please give us Holland we don't have anything better and its all we can afford right now, please sir if we fall on good times will give you a second I promise.

Begger team

And what exactly was wrong with the Holland deal? Player wise we used an organizational strength in D to get us a player at a position that we are weak. If you are concerned about the 2nd, and you should be, its time to turn a Kulemin, Franson, Raymond type player into a draft choice.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
And what exactly was wrong with the Holland deal? Player wise we used an organizational strength in D to get us a player at a position that we are weak. If you are concerned about the 2nd, and you should be, its time to turn a Kulemin, Franson, Raymond type player into a draft choice.

The point is this organization willfully I driving down asset worth and discarding it for nothing. You literally can never get ahead of anything if you are that incompetent. It's impossible to be giving 1st round pick away plus per year hoping next years first will be better. The representations of first I am talking about are properly used Grabo and CMac who had 1st rd worth the year before. These guys can't manage money!

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
The point is this organization willfully I driving down asset worth and discarding it for nothing. You literally can never get ahead of anything if you are that incompetent. It's impossible to be giving 1st round pick away plus per year hoping next years first will be better. The representations of first I am talking about are properly used Grabo and CMac who had 1st rd worth the year before. These guys can't manage money!

Seriously, on what planet were Grabovski and McArthur ever worth first round picks?

When was that ever a possibility?

The Caveman

We are all the goat
Jan 14, 2007
Montreal, PQ

I agree, poor asset management. But considering the seasons that both players were having last year - and whether that was because of RC or simply they had off seasons- I doubt that they would have garnered a 1st round. But even a 2nd would be better than nothing. That we can agree,

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
I agree, poor asset management. But considering the seasons that both players were having last year - and whether that was because of RC or simply they had off seasons- I doubt that they would have garnered a 1st round. But even a 2nd would be better than nothing. That we can agree,

You think that last year the Leafs should have traded Grabovski and McArthur for draft picks when they were on the verge of making the playoffs for the first time in nearly a decade?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

The point is they were devalued, flat out placed in roles they could not succeed. They are not third line checkers never have been. Do you not think you could a 1st for them this year? I sure do.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I don't recall Burke saying that specifically about either player. And, that was before Grabovski was signed to a massive long-term contract with a cap hit of in excess of $5 million and McArthur was about to become an unrestricted free agent.

He said post to Grabos signing. These are 50-60 pt players at the time. They were devalued Carlyle and sacked

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
You think that last year the Leafs should have traded Grabovski and McArthur for draft picks when they were on the verge of making the playoffs for the first time in nearly a decade?

Exactly. Grabo's play in the playoffs is what really forced managements hand imo. Combined with his contract of 5.5m a year till 2016-2017 and you have a younger, cheaper player in Kadri who was playing good in the 2nd line role.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Exactly. Grabo's play in the playoffs is what really forced managements hand imo. Combined with his contract of 5.5m a year till 2016-2017 and you have a younger, cheaper player in Kadri who was playing good in the 2nd line role.

And how cautious a move is that? Because anyone can have an insane career season, in this case whole 48 games lol, you just drop the pants and give praise? Second coming of Dougie sold he's Crosby. Firesale no wait just pay him to leave! Nonis blew it big time he royally ****ed up and then did it even worse on Clarkson. Hardly anyone sees it though. It was dumb, incompetent and stupid asset management.

monochrome

Mar 11, 2013
NJ/IL
Trade rumors say Nonis is trying to move Gardiner or Gunnarsson for a number 1 center. This is totally inconsistent with him saying that hes not trying to sacrifice future...also why Gunnarsson? He has been doing better than someone like Franson. Then again I guess in that case Gunnarsson might be a better trade chip to teams if hes trying to shop him. I know Gardiner certainly is

Penalty Kill Icing*

Trade rumors say Nonis is trying to move Gardiner or Gunnarsson for a number 1 center. This is totally inconsistent with him saying that hes not trying to sacrifice future...also why Gunnarsson? He has been doing better than someone like Franson. Then again I guess in that case Gunnarsson might be a better trade chip to teams if hes trying to shop him. I know Gardiner certainly is

Maybe because teams have realised how bad Franson is defensively.

leafstilldeath*

They had a 50 game slump and were played wrong. You could put Lupul or Kessel in a 3rd line checking role and they would slump to. I guess you guys just like giving assets away for nothing.

Call me up in 5 years after you are on you 5th set third liners trying to figure out where the production is.

This nailed it. So much. I love the logic on Leafs board. If Grabo and Mac don't produce in a checking role, just say "They played themselves off the team or got outplayed". When Clarkson can't produce, it is because "He plays in a checking role." OR "He wasn't brought here to produce offense." No **** Sherlock, he gets paid 5 million in a salary cap and you are telling me offense isn't expected? Are you ****ing kidding me?

:laugh: at double standards.

Our bottom 6 is NEVER a threat this season to score. NEVER! I doubt opposition teams ever draw up a strategy about containing scoring chances from our bottom 6.

:yo::yo::yo:

TRUTH!!!

Love of mediocrity and following the BS management feeds to its flock and failing to use the only muscle that matters -> BRAIN

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada

He said he would be willing to move a young asset if another young asset was coming back.

Basically, he's not going to trade Jake Gardiner to get Joe Thornton. But he might trade Jake Gardiner to get Matt Duchene or Ryan Nugent-Hopkins.

Penalty Kill Icing*

Quoted for truth:

James Mirtle ‏@mirtle 1m
It's hard to acquire skill in the NHL. When you punt it away for nothing, it hurts, and that's what Toronto did in the off-season.
:laugh:

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
He said he would be willing to move a young asset if another young asset was coming back.

Basically, he's not going to trade Jake Gardiner to get Joe Thornton. But he might trade Jake Gardiner to get Matt Duchene or Ryan Nugent-Hopkins.
Neither one of those teams has Mike Milbury as a GM.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad