GDT: Maple Leafs @ Devils - 7:00 PM - MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

minibrodeur

May 17, 2022
If a player doesn’t make a reasonable effort to avoid the goalie it’s a penalty.
It has to be intentional or deliberate, incidental is not a penalty. " In all cases in which an attacking player initiates intentional or deliberate contact with a goalkeeper, whether or not the goalkeeper is inside or outside the goal crease, and whether or not a goal is scored, the attacking player will receive a penalty (minor or major, ast he Referee deems appropriate). Did Tatar intend to interfere with Murray? No.. but when they incidentally crossed paths did he make a reasonable effort to avoid it? IMO he didn't.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

I like Cappin Nico's response in the interview and it is very surprising that the Team didn't falter anytime during those three no goal calls. Having two of them recalled would cause most teams to collapse yet the Devils had three and still chugged along.

Wow, There are some leafs fans invading the Comment section of that video.:rolleyes:

The funny part is if this Leafs they would be crying endlessly about how refs hate them. They have plenty of fans with same persecution complex too as does every fan base.

So “learn the rules” is pretty amusing (particularly since Tartar not getting a penalty and us not getting a goal means the refs didn’t know the rules).

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I completely agree.

1st goal - Murray and Bastian's skates clicked incidentally. Bastian got out of the way, Murray split wide, the puck went in high off Bastian above Murray's outstretched pad. Good goal.

2nd goal - Murray left the crease to play the puck. Tatar was going around the net and when the puck went along the boards he made a wide turn to get in front. He has every right to that space. Murray dumbly was watching the puck he missed and bumped Tatar. HE bumped Tatar, whilst out of his net. Good goal.

3rd goal - Haula kicked the puck toward his stick distinctly AWAY from the net. That it pinballed twice shouldn't matter because it wasn't a kick at the goal. The rulebook writing is actually opaque here - to Chico's point if you kick it from behind the net and it pinballs that's also not a goal? IMO Good Goal.

Sure there are arguments on the other side but all three are legitimately arguable and to me the weight is toward good goal on all three. The ruling on the ice is part of the problem and that was poorly done by these noobs.

The second one was never going to be a goal, I’ve never seen a moving goalie blamed for collisions. It just doesn’t happen unless someone is pushed into them. Goalies are protected.

The first one was cartoonishly borderline. I guess Toronto felt like they couldn’t overturn it because cartoonishly borderline isn’t the same as flat out wrong. It’s definitely the worst of the three since players make incidental contact like that and don’t get called all the time for good reason.

I never rewatched the third goal since the broadcast and I can’t find a clip so I still don’t know what exactly you can see the puck hit.

Last edited:

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey
The second one was never going to be a goal, I’ve never seen a moving goalie blamed for collisions. It just doesn’t happen unless someone is pushed into them. Goalies are protected.

The first one was cartoonishly borderline. I guess Toronto felt like they couldn’t overturn it because cartoonishly borderline isn’t the same as flat out wrong. It’s definitely the worst of the three since players make incidental contact like that and don’t get called all the time for good reason.

I never rewatched the third goal since the broadcast and I can’t find a clip so I still don’t know what exactly you can see the puck hit.
The third disallowed goal hit a Leaf's player skate. Haula was trying to kick the puck to Bastain for a tap in, but it got deflected and went in. Therefore it was correctly called. A goal cannot be scored by an attacking player who kicks a puck that deflects into the net off any player, goalkeeper or official.

Reactions: minibrodeur

Camille the Eel

I'm seeing different people say differently.

Would like to see the actual rules.

But are players ever really trying to kick the puck into the net? Why would they? They know it wouldn't count. Or are they kicking it in an effort to put it on their stick.
It’s the rule that restrains the behavior. Normally when someone kicks it in, and having it propelled into the net would be the natural result of the kick, you can thus say they “used” the kicking motion “to propel the puck into the net.”

The big picture of course is that kicking the puck IS permitted generally in hockey. This rule defines a specific exception to that rule. So again, if the player is kicking here away from the goal, the case the rule contemplates really doesn’t come into play.

The third disallowed goal hit a Leaf's player skate. Haula was trying to kick the puck to Bastain for a tap in, but it got deflected and went in. Therefore it was correctly called. A goal cannot be scored by an attacking player who kicks a puck that deflects into the net off any player, goalkeeper or official.
That clause or sentence merely modifies the preceding one on using the kick and directing the puck into the net. It clarifies that it doesn’t matter if it then bounces off a defender on the way. Read the 2 sentences together. Read the rule as a whole.

It’s hard to each last nights result in an intellectually honest manner.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I know that happened.

I wasn’t sure if we lose sight of the puck at any point and don’t know what else it hit. Could it have also hit one of the many sticks shoved around there?

When I watched it I thought we lose sight of it and you can’t just guess what happened to it then (or shouldn’t).

Maybe you need to see it hit a stick rather than that just be a maybe though. Also there might be shots where you do basically see everything that happens, in that case nevermind lol.

minibrodeur

May 17, 2022
Rule 49 - Kicking

49.1 Kicking – The action of a player deliberately using his skate(s) with a kicking motion to propel the puck or to contact an opponent.

49.2 Goals - Kicking the puck shall be permitted in all zones. A goal cannot be scored by an attacking player who uses a distinct kicking motion to propel the puck into the net with his skate/foot. A goal cannot be scored by an attacking player who kicks a puck that deflects into the net off any player, goalkeeper or official.
A puck that deflects into the net off an attacking player’s skate who does not use a distinct kicking motion is a legitimate goal. A puck that is directed into the net by an attacking player’s skate shall be a legitimate goal as long as no distinct kicking motion is evident. The following should clarify deflections following a kicked puck that enters the goal:
(i) A kicked puck that deflects off the body of any player of either team (including the goalkeeper) shall be ruled no goal.
(ii) A kicked puck that deflects off the stick of any player (excluding the goalkeeper’s stick) shall be ruled a good goal.
(iii) A goal will be allowed when an attacking player kicks the puck and the puck deflects off his own stick and then into the net.
(iv) A goal will be allowed when a puck enters the goal after deflecting off an attacking player’s skate or deflects off his skate while he is in the
process of stopping.
A goal cannot be scored by an attacking player who kicks any equipment (stick, glove, helmet, etc.) at the puck, including kicking the blade of his own stick, causing the puck to cross the goal line.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I'm sure the league is working tirelessly to find a way to take back Dougie's goal as we speak
'Despite the best efforts of the league, a goal was scored'

(yes this or something to that effect was actually said after the officials erroneously stuck it to the Devils during Game 3 of the ECF against Ottawa in '03)

Actually found the exact quote lol

"The in-net camera was the only angle that showed the puck had crossed the goal line, and when that angle finally was available, the puck had been dropped and play had resumed. . . . Clearly, despite all best efforts of all involved, a goal was scored. The NHL regrets the error."

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
If Tatar didn't extend his arm and end up looking like a shove the goal would have stood imo. Murray knew he was in trouble and once the arm came up he sold it hard. Just like he sold the knock the net off knowing they were in trouble with his guys tired after the icing and pinned in for 40 seconds.
Yeah he should get an Oscar for his net routine and a 10 for the dive

Blender

Dec 2, 2009

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Yeah he should get an Oscar for his net routine and a 10 for the dive
He has quite a few records that no goalie will probably ever touch and definitely haven't touched to this point.

First ever goalie to win two cups as a rookie

First ever goalie to get scored on 4 times, but only allow 1 goal.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
'Despite the best efforts of the league, a goal was scored'

(yes this or something to that effect was actually said after the officials erroneously stuck it to the Devils during Game 3 of the ECF against Ottawa in '03)

Actually found the exact quote lol

I was at the game and probably had 3 strokes cause I saw the puck go in the net and was screaming my head off. That was absolutely infuriating.

Killing Joke

Dec 2, 2017
6B47B6CC-23CB-4CC9-9170-22D18AE6C01B.jpeg

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
After going through all the hate directed to our entire fanbase yesterday I have to say that I'm happy to be among you guys on this board. Ya'll are the most caring, funny, somewhat obnoxious fanbases in sports. I proudly stand with my fellow brothers and Sisters of the Devils nation!♥️

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Why the hell did they go to the locker room anyway? What was that all about? And then the officials going back to the timekeepers table and putting on the headsets again, going into a TV timeout.

Were they afraid fans were trying to pelt them with shit? And that's why they went to the locker room? That's so weird.

Reminded me of a dugout clearing out after a heavy rainstorm starts.

Reactions: Guadana

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
After going through all the hate directed to our entire fanbase yesterday I have to say that I'm happy to be among you guys on this board. Ya'll are the most caring, funny, somewhat obnoxious fanbases in sports. I proudly stand with my fellow brothers and Sisters of the Devils nation!♥️

Honestly, yeah. I’ve said it often, but for me, being on this board has made it so much more fun to be a fan of the team. Game days wouldn’t be the same without all you guys!

1669329301957.gif

Camille the Eel

Rule 49 - Kicking

49.1 Kicking – The action of a player deliberately using his skate(s) with a kicking motion to propel the puck or to contact an opponent.

49.2 Goals - Kicking the puck shall be permitted in all zones. A goal cannot be scored by an attacking player who uses a distinct kicking motion to propel the puck into the net with his skate/foot. A goal cannot be scored by an attacking player who kicks a puck that deflects into the net off any player, goalkeeper or official.
A puck that deflects into the net off an attacking player’s skate who does not use a distinct kicking motion is a legitimate goal. A puck that is directed into the net by an attacking player’s skate shall be a legitimate goal as long as no distinct kicking motion is evident. The following should clarify deflections following a kicked puck that enters the goal:
(i) A kicked puck that deflects off the body of any player of either team (including the goalkeeper) shall be ruled no goal.
(ii) A kicked puck that deflects off the stick of any player (excluding the goalkeeper’s stick) shall be ruled a good goal.
(iii) A goal will be allowed when an attacking player kicks the puck and the puck deflects off his own stick and then into the net.
(iv) A goal will be allowed when a puck enters the goal after deflecting off an attacking player’s skate or deflects off his skate while he is in the
process of stopping.
A goal cannot be scored by an attacking player who kicks any equipment (stick, glove, helmet, etc.) at the puck, including kicking the blade of his own stick, causing the puck to cross the goal line.
The clarification really does settle it. I was wrong. The call on the ice was the correct one.

Reactions: minibrodeur

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
If devils want to win the cup, they should win against every team. I want maple refs in the first round. Their 20-35 performance will help them in play off. I want to see our hungry team against them.
I didn't like Adam's performance, now maple refs is my second hated team.
I like to be patient and calm but im emotional man too. Sometimes I want to let them free. So, I want to meet them again.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Yeah I agree w guadana - would make an awesome story if we could face the leafs in playoffs (assuming both teams make it in). This is the game everyone would be looking back to
Definitely want to have the home ice advantage, The Devils have to place higher then those Leafs!

Our fans give the team a bigger boost with our lound passion while the people at the Leafs games are all corporate shills who think its ghastly to talk above a whisper.

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey
That clause or sentence merely modifies the preceding one on using the kick and directing the puck into the net. It clarifies that it doesn’t matter if it then bounces off a defender on the way. Read the 2 sentences together. Read the rule as a whole.

It’s hard to each last nights result in an intellectually honest manner.

Camille the Eel

It helped to read the complete text of the rule. That should have been the first move. It’s actually a very long rule with clarifications. Odd that where everyone was discussing it, including the Devils post game broadcast, it took so long to focus on the clarifying language, that really doesn’t leave any wiggle room. My Bad. I’m always more than willing to admit it when I realize it.

Reactions: SJinNewJersey
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln