Friedman: Maple Leafs deadline approach changing, now searching for both scorer and D man.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
During the 2nd intermission of the Leafs-Avs game Friedman mentioned that the original approach to the trade deadline was that the Leafs were going to take 1 big swing and that big swing was going to be on defense.

But given how the defense has played for the most part this season the sense is that now The Leafs want to make multiple moves, and add both a scorer and a a D man.

I agree with this approach, in fact I think the big swing should be at forward.

As much as I want a defense upgrade, because you can never have to much defense, a top 6 forward is clearly needed.

The defense just needs a body, somebody like Luke Schenn

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
If we're not taking a big swing at defense we really shouldn't be adding there tbh

When healthy we have Brodie, Rielly, Giordano, Liljergen, Sandin, Holl, Timmins, Benn. There's enough depth. Also, we're already going to have to sit one good defenseman when everybody is back

The real need is a good scorer who has a physical element to his game

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
If we're not taking a big swing at defense we really shouldn't be adding there tbh

When healthy we have Brodie, Rielly, Giordano, Liljergen, Sandin, Holl, Timmins, Benn. There's enough depth. Also, we're already going to have to sit one good defenseman when everybody is back

You can never have to much defense

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
Leafs lead the league in xGF% at even strength - I don't think their forwards are a problem, but if they do, they honestly shouldn't swing for one of the big pieces and instead try to target someone who is of similar ilk to Nick Paul. You can play him anywhere from lines 1-4 and he won't be out of place. Obviously Nick Paul isn't available as Tampa is trying to make a run as well.

Defensively though, I think all contenders should be taking a hard look at Gavrikov. He's probably going to have a high cost but he is absolutely worth it - Leafs should try to make a run at him.

Reactions: hn777

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
You can never have to much defense
I mean sure, but in a cap world with assets you need to rank what is most needed

At this point, we need to put the main attention to getting another forward. If that is solved and you have space left over for another d-man, go for it

Reactions: Prominence

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I mean sure, but in a cap world with assets you need to rank what is most needed

At this point, we need to put the main attention to getting another forward. If that is solved and you have space left over for another d-man, go for it

I mean I literally say I think The big swing should be at forward in the OP

But that doesn't mean you don't add defense, If this run taught us anything It's that you don't need a guy until you NEED a guy.

Leafs lead the league in xGF% at even strength - I don't think their forwards are a problem, but if they do, they honestly shouldn't swing for one of the big pieces and instead try to target someone who is of similar ilk to Nick Paul. You can play him anywhere from lines 1-4 and he won't be out of place. Obviously Nick Paul isn't available as Tampa is trying to make a run as well.

Defensively though, I think all contenders should be taking a hard look at Gavrikov. He's probably going to have a high cost but he is absolutely worth it - Leafs should try to make a run at him.

I agree but If that's going to cost a 1st that asset should be used on a top 6 forward

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Yet you felt the need to not only click on this but respond.

You clearly care
I do but it's just that there are lighning rod teams who get extra media attention and it just feels like they are mostly farming clicks and it would be nice to know what is real. And I'm an Oilers fan and my team is in the same boat.

Reactions: Sigurd

The Mitchician

Dec 10, 2009

Just reading this thread over now and had to quote you because I feel the exact same.

I've thrown this out there recently but lol the greed in me really wants it to gain traction.

The target/the answer imo= Tom Wilson

To even try to pry him imo, you need an overpayment but for me it is worth the fetch.

I know what I would try to offer, but wouldnn't mind seeing other posters view an what they think could pry the guy I feel could add a shat-ton and open up ice just like Kane did for the Oilers.

Man he would almost bring back that "wendel feeling"

What should the offer be?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I do but it's just that there are lighning rod teams who get extra media attention and it just feels like they are mostly farming clicks and it would be nice to know what is real. And I'm an Oilers fan and my team is in the same boat.

I don't think he's making it up we are getting to the point of the year where I don't think he has to.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
KUzmenko makes a lot of sense for the Leaf if he is available. 925k for a ppg forward

asking price is going to be high though if he is available. Probably like a 2023 1st Knives and another prospect

The thought has crossed my mind but I could see Vancouver wanting to keep him, and they should

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad