GDT: Maple Leafs @ Capitals | 7 PM - SN | This.... May not end well

rdogg

I cry your pardon
Aug 4, 2010
PEI
Hopefully the kids light it up tomorrow, and then promptly lose in regulation :handclap:

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
From practice lines today...

Nikita Soshnikov is expected to stay with Kadri and Komarov, while the kid line of William Nylander between Kasperi Kapanen and Zach Hyman will remain intact.

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/03/01/emotions-heavy-as-new-leaf-laich-set-to-face-old-team-caps

So essentially the lines from the 3rd period all remain intact.

Komarov-Kadri-Soshnikov
Kapanen-Nylander-Hyman
Holland-Bozak-Michalek
Grabner/Greening-Laich-Smith/Grabner

Would be my guess.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
This is going to be a long night for the Leafs and the kids, oh well that's how they are going to learn

MikeBabchuk

Mike Bobcat
May 24, 2013
Toronto
I have a feeling Bernier's gonna look good the last bit of the season here.

Balls in his court now. The last of last chances...

I have a feeling he'll look much like he has since January of 2014.

Here's hoping he gets blown out. :)

Although the Caps will be coming off the first leg of a back to back against the Penguins, so maybe they'll be tired. Who knows.

I'm still gonna say 8-1 Caps.

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
Didn't want to make a new thread for this;

Who do you project as the three stars of the game?

My picks:
1- Holtby 31/33 saves
2-Ovechkin 2G, 1A
3-Kapanen 1G, 1A

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
So essentially the lines from the 3rd period all remain intact.

Komarov-Kadri-Soshnikov
Kapanen-Nylander-Hyman
Holland-Bozak-Michalek
Grabner/Greening-Laich-Smith/Grabner

Would be my guess.

Grabner skates so fast he might play both wings.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
Cce1nxEXEAEszjO.jpg

We are off the Board.

pb27baO.jpg

Oh wait! No chance! Sorry - No Chance

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Whichever way it goes, this game should be a fun one. From the kid's line to Kadri getting a winger that can pass and score, and Holland finally getting access to some skill in Bozak ( or even Michalek).

rosscow

Apr 5, 2015
This might be the best lineup the leafs have had all season. The skill up front is crazy. Half the team next year will be going for rookie of the year.

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
Didn't want to make a new thread for this;

Who do you project as the three stars of the game?

My picks:
1- Holtby 31/33 saves
2-Ovechkin 2G, 1A
3-Kapanen 1G, 1A

Holtby played last night so I don't expect him to start tonight. It will most likely be Grubauer starting, whose numbers are better than Holtby's (only 10 GP).

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006

Toronto Maple Leafs at Washington Capitals: Wednesday game
preview
Washington’s Nicklas Backstrom has eight 40-assist seasons.

By: Kevin McGran Sports Reporter, Published on Tue Mar 01 2016

VERIZON CENTRE

Puck drop: 7 p.m.

TV: Sportsnet

Radio: TSN Radio 1050

Key matchup: Matt Hunwick vs. Alex Ovechkin. Someone has to draw the near-impossible task of trying to stop the game’s most dangerous shooter. Given the greenhorns on the Leafs’ blue line, that will be the veteran Hunwick. Ovechkin has eclipsed 40 goals for the eighth time in his career and the third season in a row.

Need to know: The game will pit Brooks Laich against Daniel Winnik, traded for each other on Sunday. Laich had been with the Capitals since February, 2004 . . . The Capitals hosted the Penguins on Tuesday night, a game postponed from Jan. 24 . . . Going into Tuesday’s game, Washington was 18-2-1 in its last 21 games at the Verizon Centre, outscoring opponents 77-46 during that span . . . Since entering the NHL in 2007-08, Nicklas Backstrom has had eight 40-assist seasons.

Up next: Thursday, vs. Minnesota, 7:30 p.m.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
From practice lines today...

Nikita Soshnikov is expected to stay with Kadri and Komarov, while the kid line of William Nylander between Kasperi Kapanen and Zach Hyman will remain intact.

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/03/01/emotions-heavy-as-new-leaf-laich-set-to-face-old-team-caps

Thank ****ing god. If I saw Grabner with either one of those lines, I would have tossed Babcock some harsh words.

I wish they would send down Greening and call up Leivo or Leipsic. Probably too much to ask I guess.

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
Has anyone read Brooks Laich's story on Nylander?

Apparently in Washington during practice Brooks would PK against Backstrom and call him a cute Swede and be a menace. He tried the gig against Willie and Nylander sniped it bar down on the first drill.

AngryScotsman

Feb 17, 2013
Northern Ontario
Thank ****ing god. If I saw Grabner with either one of those lines, I would have tossed Babcock some harsh words.

I wish they would send down Greening and call up Leivo or Leipsic. Probably too much to ask I guess.

Lou mentioned Greening either is not eligible or will not be made available to the Marlies for their playoff run. So don't expect Greening to be sent down before the end of the season.

Lion15

Apr 18, 2015
Kawartha Lakes

Toronto Maple Leafs at Washington Capitals: Wednesday game
preview
Washington’s Nicklas Backstrom has eight 40-assist seasons.

By: Kevin McGran Sports Reporter, Published on Tue Mar 01 2016

VERIZON CENTRE

Puck drop: 7 p.m.

TV: Sportsnet

Radio: TSN Radio 1050

Key matchup: Matt Hunwick vs. Alex Ovechkin. Someone has to draw the near-impossible task of trying to stop the game’s most dangerous shooter. Given the greenhorns on the Leafs’ blue line, that will be the veteran Hunwick. Ovechkin has eclipsed 40 goals for the eighth time in his career and the third season in a row.

Need to know: The game will pit Brooks Laich against Daniel Winnik, traded for each other on Sunday. Laich had been with the Capitals since February, 2004 . . . The Capitals hosted the Penguins on Tuesday night, a game postponed from Jan. 24 . . . Going into Tuesday’s game, Washington was 18-2-1 in its last 21 games at the Verizon Centre, outscoring opponents 77-46 during that span . . . Since entering the NHL in 2007-08, Nicklas Backstrom has had eight 40-assist seasons.

Up next: Thursday, vs. Minnesota, 7:30 p.m.

Really? I would think Babs would put that assignment squarely on Morgans lap. I guess we'll see soon enough.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Lou mentioned Greening either is not eligible or will not be made available to the Marlies for their playoff run. So don't expect Greening to be sent down before the end of the season.

I know he's not eligible... and that's OK. I'd rather give Leivo or Leipsic NHL games to finish the year.

I cringe everytime I see Greening on a NHL power play. What a waste.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad