GDT: Maple Leafs @ Bruins Down 1-0 8PM HNIC: Fortune Favours the Bold

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
This will be interesting to see what Leafs game plan is in game #2 to counteract the Bruins physicality and team toughness.

Leafs star players like Matthews, Nylander and Marner don't have the will nor the ability to offset the physicality and play a Bruins big/heavy style game, so the only way they can hurt the opposition is on the scoreboard.

Not sure how you successfully get the Bruins to switch from a winning strategy through intimidation, to play and fast skating, skill game that the Leafs excel at. Bruins are built to play the game anyway you want, but Leafs are not and that is a huge advantage in Boston's favour.

Special team performance plays a big part in physical series that results in more penalties.

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
Leafs star players like Matthews, Nylander and Marner don't have the will nor the ability to offset the physicality and play a Bruins big/heavy style game, so the only way they can hurt the opposition is on the scoreboard.

How does one measure a players will? Will P/60

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
At a certain point Matthews usage needs to reflect him being far and away our best player. I completely understand the reasoning behind reigning it in for basic regular season games.....but if there was ever a time to just ride your best players I would say this is absolutely that time. Now saying that he has already saddled them with a anchor. Is what it is though, team has a lot stacked against them tonight and Kadri or no Kadri needs to actually show up to compete.

If Cassidy is going to play Chara against Matthews as much as possible, I say Babcock should be playing the crap out of Matthews to wear down that old freak of nature.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
voodoo-doll-boston-bruins.gif

Its lacking a big nose and some rat teeth... Maybe make it do the duck pose with pursed lips....

Reactions: Rob Brown

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Get 34 on the ice every second shift, the kids have carried us all year and we need them to do it now.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
It will be a great chance to see the supposed "Core" respond to Game 1 and being down, on the road in a series.

Kadri's loss to the line up is being overstated. It's not doom and gloom. We played over a quarter of the season with him taking a vacation from the score sheet.

We also get a chance to see what the roster looks like without him. Something that may be an offseason discussion point considering the plus and minuses he brings to the roster.

Perhaps more importantly though, we get a chance to develop our future leadership. Step up. Compete. I don't care if they win the series but they can't look to vets to lead them. Matthews. Marner. Rielly. Nylander. Brown. Hyman. Andersen. There is no where else to look but in the mirror. Our vets are likely gone in the offseason with the exception of Marleau.

You are the team. You are the future. Where it goes is up to you.

Mkdaman1818

Jun 29, 2013
This will be interesting to see what Leafs game plan is in game #2 to counteract the Bruins physicality and team toughness.

Not sure how you successfully get the Bruins to switch from a winning strategy through intimidation, to play and fast skating, skill game that the Leafs excel at. Bruins are built to play the game anyway you want, but Leafs are not and that is a huge advantage in Boston's favour.

Special team performance plays a big part in physical series that results in more penalties.
The plan needs to be the use of our speed. These bruins aren’t the big bad bruins of 2011. We can skate circles around them, need to start doing that.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
The plan needs to be the use of our speed. These bruins aren’t the big bad bruins of 2011. We can skate circles around them, need to start doing that.

The problem in game 1 was that we were skating circles around them but it was backwards... without the puck.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I've been in a huge funk of despair and rage for the past day and a half.

But... that's the best opening of a GDT I've ever seen.

Feeling infinitely more hopeful for tonight and the rest of the series.

Thank you for that Daisy!

GLG!!!!

Same man. It's this f***ing team. If they pull that same shit again tonight I have no idea how I will respond. Finally after years we get an amazing team and wind up facing the president trophy winners in year 1 and the east cup favorites for year 2.

Then the boys don't show up in game 1, and we lose Kadri... Just so pissed off the last few days. Not to mention I love this site but the Leaf hate is so thick you could cut it with a butter knife. One loss and the mains are nothing but trolls allowed to troll the Leafs. We need to win this series and shut these guys (and Bruins fans) the f*** up.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
The problem in game 1 was that we were skating circles around them but it was backwards... without the puck.

Not true. Got jumped on the first 10, nerves were apparent. Then we got a penalty, went down by 1. Started taking over the last 10 minutes of the first with our speed (shots were nearly tied ending that period). Period 2 was better, had some PP's but couldn't capitalize, and then there was that back breaking goal to end period 2, down by 2.

Period three emotions got high and Leafs spent most of it on the PK. However it was still pretty close.

- 1st goal was offside
- Gardiner hit a post
- Marner just missed an open net.

Take out the penalties and get a little puck luck and that was a close game.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I have a good feeling this morning. I feel a win.

Let’s tie the series, and shove it down their throats back in Toronto!

Reactions: Atomos2

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
It will be a great chance to see the supposed "Core" respond to Game 1 and being down, on the road in a series.

Kadri's loss to the line up is being overstated. It's not doom and gloom. We played over a quarter of the season with him taking a vacation from the score sheet.

We also get a chance to see what the roster looks like without him. Something that may be an offseason discussion point considering the plus and minuses he brings to the roster.

Perhaps more importantly though, we get a chance to develop our future leadership. Step up. Compete. I don't care if they win the series but they can't look to vets to lead them. Matthews. Marner. Rielly. Nylander. Brown. Hyman. Andersen. There is no where else to look but in the mirror. Our vets are likely gone in the offseason with the exception of Marleau.

You are the team. You are the future. Where it goes is up to you.

To add to this - the Leafs managed to beat Boston twice this season within Matthews in the line up.

Need better performances from our best players though, without a doubt.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Not true. Got jumped on the first 10, nerves were apparent. Then we got a penalty, went down by 1. Started taking over the last 10 minutes of the first with our speed (shots were nearly tied ending that period). Period 2 was better, had some PP's but couldn't capitalize, and then there was that back breaking goal to end period 2, down by 2.

Period three emotions got high and Leafs spent most of it on the PK. However it was still pretty close.

- 1st goal was offside
- Gardiner hit a post
- Marner just missed an open net.

Take out the penalties and get a little puck luck and that was a close game.

Take out about 30 mins of hockey and it was close?

C'mon. They owned us. It was an embarrassing effort. From a feeble offense, to stars being shut down, to Kadri's head targeting... to even the reaction of some fans on these boards. It was not a night to remember.

The good news is that games are independent events. What happens in one game isn't a predictor for the next. Teams can adjust.

The only question is will we?

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
I believe I read that if the away team loses both of the first away games in a best of 7, they have under a 10% chance of winning the series.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I believe I read that if the away team loses both of the first away games in a best of 7, they have under a 10% chance of winning the series.

Yup.

Doesn’t put the nail in the coffin, but makes things a whole lot more difficult.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Okay, so missing the 2nd. line center and their 1st. line center is playing injured.

Tall order here.

However, it won't be difficult to be better than the 1st. game, so I expect a better game, even if it is a loss.

Leafs are driven by 20/21 year old forwards, supported by some veterans, the Bruins are driven by veterans supported by some kids (although Bruins young defenders on the Leafs would be nice!).

Requires 4 wins and for the Leafs to get those, the game 1 team won't get it done.

Not sure Hainsey has enough in the tank to handle the PK duties, and you need more than Zaitsev and Polak who know how to PK. Well what the Leafs don't have is irrelevant now.

It will be interesting to see what strategy changes Babcock puts into place.

Hoping for an entertaining game with a Leafs blow-out but even a game in doubt would be worth watching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad