Low Effort GDT Maple Leafs at Sens - Game 1 - Tonight: 7 p.m., TSN, RDS - No Crosschecking the Leafs Edition Pt2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
You could just see the Sens gain confidence as this game went on.. At first it was like hang on ... and then they got a little success and then they said f*ck this we can play with these guys.. They have a strong top 6 .. one of the best the Sens will face but they weathered the storms when they came pretty well. Murray had a few really good saves as well.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
The Leafs roster is not well suited for a physical high compete game. They don't really have that battle in them. They are built for a typical regular season where there is a lot more time and space. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of their players start looking invisible when the intensity level of the games ratchet up.
He was off his game in the first 2 minutes of the game .. He might have been dinged in the Habs game and he might have not had it .. have to watch him tomorrow. I get what you are saying .. but I've seen a lot more physical games than the one we had tonight.

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
I'm not sure how many people picked up on this, but Chabot was interviewed during the 1st intermission, and he sounded PISSED that the media has us pegged as a poor performing, basement dwelling team. I was very impressed by that, and I definitely saw that in his play tonight.

Reactions: Alex1234 and NyQuil

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Toronto had 4 shots in the 3rd period?

Yeesh.
Did you listen to any of their post game press conference? The statements from Tavares and their coach don't sound very good. They thought they were taking control of the game early and just let up on Ottawa which let us back in it. They didn't say anything about the advantage of playing a game coming into this one and how Ottawa was going through an adjustment early on as it was the Sens first game in 300+ days. It was kind of like a complete lack of recognition with the problems with Toronto's intensity level.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I'm not sure how many people picked up on this, but Chabot was interviewed during the 1st intermission, and he sounded PISSED that the media has us pegged as a poor performing, basement dwelling team. I was very impressed by that, and I definitely saw that in his play tonight.

There's a fire in young Chabot.

Reactions: SensontheRush

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
He was off his game in the first 2 minutes of the game .. He might have been dinged in the Habs game and he might have not had it .. have to watch him tomorrow. I get what you are saying .. but I've seen a lot more physical games than the one we had tonight.
Marner may have that battle in him but he is a young guy and if the team culture doesn't really demand it or allows players to get away without it then it is hard to bring that intensity game in game out. I just don't get the sense that the Leafs team identity and culture is one that is serious about what it takes to win a Stanley Cup. It is a bunch of high skill players playing in the biggest city in Canada who are enjoying the celebrity status and lifestyle.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Marner may have that battle in him but he is a young guy and if the team culture doesn't really demand it or allows players to get away without it then it is hard to bring that intensity game in game out. I just don't get the sense that the Leafs team identity and culture is one that is serious about what it takes to win a Stanley Cup. It is a bunch of high skill players playing in the biggest city in Canada who are enjoying the celebrity status and lifestyle.

They also believe their own headlines.

The Canadian WJC team and the Leafs have a lot in common.

The media can't keep it in their pants until after the game is actually over.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009

On a condensed schedule with 4-5 games per week, these hits are going to make a difference over 50 games.

The Leafs roster is not well suited for a physical high compete game. They don't really have that battle in them. They are built for a typical regular season where there is a lot more time and space. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of their players start looking invisible when the intensity level of the games ratchet up.

Can't say that about AM though. That guys brings it every game I've seen him. Playoffs included.

Reactions: RAFI BOMB

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
The thought this summer was that we got bigger, but it didn't compute until you see just how big this team is.
We also had pretty good speed overall. We could have got bigger but also got slower. The team didn't look very slow today and the bigger players showed pretty impressive speed. Even Tkachuk looks much faster this year.

Reactions: SpezDispenser

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
My top 5 performers:

Nick Paul - Big, strong and has improved his shot big time.

Brady Tkachuk - He will be our next captain. Full beast mode tonight. He's still getting stronger which is crazy.

Josh Brown - Didn't seem like he did much out there but he's solid and a super shutdown defender.

Tim Stuetzle
- I know he didn't get on the scoreboard but he's wicked smart and he had flashes of brilliance out there for his first game.

Drake Batherson
- Night and day from last year. Whatever conditioning he did has worked! Much faster, much stronger and solid iq on the ice.

Reactions: RAFI BOMB

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
lol - friends at google

B80712F2-EE4C-42B3-BD6C-AE60BC9C38D1.png

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
On a condensed schedule with 4-5 games per week, these hits are going to make a difference over 50 games.

Can't say that about AM though. That guys brings it every game I've seen him. Playoffs included.
The physicality will test players compete level. It will wear them out physically but it will also lead to some players taking shifts, periods or even games off and being non factors for their teams. On top of that it will really test the organizational depth. Some teams don't have enough depth to go through a meaningful stretch of games needing to replace a large number of players.

Reactions: aragorn

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012

Brady's also been mentioning "proving people wrong" in all his interviews so far. I'm sure the media betting against us is being used as a main motivational point in the locker room.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA