Confirmed with Link: Maple Leafs Announce Qualifying Offers | 3 RFA's become UFA's

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Per various twitter sources (Shilton, Johnston)

Qualified; Zachary Hyman, Connor Brown, Garret Sparks, Justin Holl

Unqualified; Seth Griffith, Antoine Bibeau, Sergey Kalinin

Last edited:

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Per various twitter sources (Shilton, Johnston)

Qualified; Zachary Hyman, Connor Brown, Garret Sparks
Unqualified; Seth Griffith, Antoine Bibeau
Unknown; Justin Holl, Sergey Kalinin

Pretty much as expected.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
So whenever those contracts get worked out that'll put us at 41 contracts before UFA and potential prospect signings like Brooks and Dzierkals which should be plenty of room, we only need a backup goalie, a couple D and a forward or 2.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Don't get the hate towards Bibeau? He's a career AHL goalie.

Also, I could see the Leafs signing Griffith to a 2 year, 2 way deal if he would accept it. Give him a bit more in the AHL than he would get elsewhere.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I thought Griffith would be qualified, but maybe they feel like going with a lot more kids. He would have been good mentorship for a very young group up front. It's a lot of guys who would be rookies or sophomores.

Unless the Leafs bring in a different vet, this means Timashov, Walker, Piccinich, Dzierkals, etc. have a better shot at an NHL job.

Mentors:
C Ben Smith
LW/RW Clune (depth)
LW/C Findlay (depth)
RD Holl (Captain)
RD UFA
RD Valiev (3rd year)
RW Lindberg (3rd year)
C Gauthier (3rd year)
G Sparks (4th year) or Backup with NHL experience
+ any other depth guys we bring in. That's not exactly a deep mentor group considering:

(Assumptive) Rookies:
RW Piccinich (+ former captain)
LW/C Aaltonen (although he is a 93' so he's one of the older guys)
LW Grundstrom (minus a few playoff games)
RW Bracco
C Brooks (former captain)
C Toninato (94' + former captain)
LW Walker
RW Dzierkals
RW Korostelev (if he comes on AHL deal)
LD Desrocher (if he comes on AHL deal)
G Kaskisuo (minus a few games)
LD Borgman (if not in NHL)
LD/RD Rosen (if not in NHL)

Sophomores:
LW Johnsson
LW Moore
LW/RW Timashov
C Cameranesi
LD Dermott
LD Nielsen

A good chunk of the mentors we have are depth guys :laugh:

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Don't get the hate towards Bibeau? He's a career AHL goalie.

Also, I could see the Leafs signing Griffith to a 2 year, 2 way deal if he would accept it. Give him a bit more in the AHL than he would get elsewhere.

I can still see him being given an AHL deal, but maybe they'll go for a 96' with some size and more skill from the CHL to groom in the ECHL instead. Add some age variance and bridge the gap.

93' Sparks
93' Kaskisuo
(94' Bibeau)
98' Woll
99' Scott

As for Griffith, he would have been a nice piece to round off the mentorship group which lacks bodies, but I guess they want youth playing more. A lot of these guys are character players... Former captains and assistant captains, guys who work really hard, etc. Perhaps they feel, despite only have one or two years in the AHL, that these guys (combined with Smith, Holl, etc.) can lead by example for the true rookies.

I guess they learned the hard way last year and now know how things work enough to let those new guys get used to it. I have no problem playing guys with NHL potential over career AHLers, I just hope they don't get overwhelmed or anything (hence we need a depth guys with experience who are character guys in the room, like Clune).

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Sparks was always the bettet goalie than Bibeau. Glad to see they've held on to him, still think he can make it as an NHL backup. I

member 262271

Yep, no surprises. You gotta feel for Bibeau but he didn't show enough consistency at the AHL level to merit much, good luck to him.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Why was Loov traded for Sergey Kalinin?

I don't get the reason for this trade?

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Why was Loov traded for Sergey Kalinin?

I don't get the reason for this trade?

Freeing up a contract slot perhaps. Also Loov is a wee bit of loose cannon, witness his interview before the 2016-17 season where he engaged with the interviewer about drug use. While I usually personally find guys like Loov entertaining and interesting individuals, Lou runs a tight ship.

Stephen23

Aug 22, 2009
Halifax, NS
A little disappointed we didn't qualify Bibeau as I still think he has a very bright future as a likely backup. Having watched him live destroy my Mooseheads (and vastly outplay Fucale) and go on to become the QMJHL Playoff MVP/Top Goalie in the Memorial Cup. But I trust management. Wish Antoine all the best and hopefully he gets a shot at the NHL.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Bibeau's fall from grace is disappointing.

I had really high hopes for this kid. His M-Cup year was amazing. Hope he battles through and ekes out a career somewhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad