GDT: Maple Leafs (9-6-4) @ Islanders (12-3-1) | 7:00 PM EST | SNO

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
But he is the type of coach who can instill a system, and relate to the players in a way that the players are willing to go through the wall for him.

I personally don't think many Leafs would go through a drive through for a Timbit for Babcock.
It's easier to get low skill guys like NYI to follow a system and go through the wall as they are willing to do anything to stay in the league, prove others wrong.
He wasn't able to get some very good Nashville teams over the top.
I've never been in a room with him so no idea how he relates to players. He does seem like a good guy, I'm sure the players love him.
Kudos to him for winning with Washington but you'd have to think some of that had to do with the players finally having enough of underachieving and the GM bringing in some different players.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
How does a team go from last to first in GAA in one season without ditching the whole team? You can't hold up a 31st place team in GAA and say they were a hard working bunch

Obviously there were a hell of a lot of floaters on that team that finally got the message.
Trotz turned a lazy team into a hardworking team. The Islanders team from 17/18 saw very little roster turnover yet they proceeded to become a very good and hardworking team under Trotz.

Somehow over on these parts, those things have magically not become part of the coach's job description. Babcock's doing a pretty shit job in regard to such things, real tough for some folks to admit it though.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Well, if we want to get the facts correct, he won a Stanley Cup with Washington, the perennial chokers, then resigned over a contract dispute to coach a rag tag Islander team that had just finished 31st in GAA, and in his first season got them all the way to 1st in GAA, and into the second round of the playoffs.

Now this season they are 12-3-1.

He's doing a hell of a lot better job than ours is.

More facts to take into account this year is that Greiss would probably win the Vezina if it was handed out today and Varly is maybe the best backup in the league.

The Islanders give up high danger scoring chances like crazy and have been winning a ton of close games on the backs of their keepers this year.

They are an ok team but I dont think coaching has a whole lot to with it and I dont have much faith in them as a cup contender this year. Unsustainable goaltending IMO.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
On skill alone we should beat this team by 5 goals easy. But Isles play old fashioned defense, simple easy breakouts and dump and chase forecheck game. Hard to penetrate them. They counter well. I expect low scoring game. Maybe 2-2 tie.

What skill do the Leafs have that would make you think they should win by 5 goals?

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
So Babcock won a cup, and hasnt done much since than, hes terrible. Trotz did nothing for years with good teams, finally wins a cup, and hes the best coach ever. Somewhere in the middle lies the truth.

Babcock - 2 playoff seriess wins in the last decade

Trotz - 10 playoff series wins in the last decade + stanely cup win

Your vague description of events seems dishonest. Trotz has been much more successful than Babcock over the last decade.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
More facts to take into account this year is that Greiss would probably win the Vezina if it was handed out today and Varly is maybe the best backup in the league.

The Islanders give up high danger scoring chances like crazy and have been winning a ton of close games on the backs of their keepers this year.

They are an ok team but I dont think coaching has a whole lot to with it and I dont have much faith in them as a cup contender this year. Unsustainable goaltending IMO.

At least they have been finding ways to win the tough games. While Leafs fans keep making excuses for the Leafs. Tonight is the 20th game, they only won 9 of the first 19. When are they going to get going here? Or are they just a mediocre .500 team?

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
At least they have been finding ways to win the tough games. While Leafs fans keep making excuses for the Leafs. Tonight is the 20th game, they only won 9 of the first 19. When are they going to get going here? Or are they just a mediocre .500 team?

thats all they have been since last january

kb

Aug 28, 2009
It's easier to get low skill guys like NYI to follow a system and go through the wall as they are willing to do anything to stay in the league, prove others wrong.
He wasn't able to get some very good Nashville teams over the top.
I've never been in a room with him so no idea how he relates to players. He does seem like a good guy, I'm sure the players love him.
Kudos to him for winning with Washington but you'd have to think some of that had to do with the players finally having enough of underachieving and the GM bringing in some different players.
That is just your speculation about the ease of buy in/skill level. No one knows. The only facts are that he took an underachieving team in Washington and got them to win a cup, and then immediately took the 31st GAA team to 1st in GAA, and the second round of the playoffs.

As far as what happened in Nashville.....who knows? Maybe not the right mix? 16 years is a long time for one voice.

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

This board has truly developed some professional excuse-makers over the last year...

It doesn't take much to see that there's something clearly wrong with this team. I could honestly give a shit whether it's the coach or the players, but something needs fixing.

kb

Aug 28, 2009

Well, the goaltending has sustained all last year, and into this one. At some point maybe the numbers are not really reflective of what is truly happening on the ice?

I expect a correction too, for the record.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
That is just your speculation about the ease of buy in/skill level. No one knows. The only facts are that he took an underachieving team in Washington and got them to win a cup, and then immediately took the 31st GAA team to 1st in GAA, and the second round of the playoffs.

As far as what happened in Nashville.....who knows? Maybe not the right mix? 16 years is a long time for one voice.
Almost everything posted here is speculation.

Reactions: Chompchompr

Rogue Leader

Oct 12, 2019
Corellia
Yes. Are Komarov and Clutterbuck going to think twice about forechecking because you give them a face wash in a scrum?
No, but Barzal and company wouldn’t be skating around with no worry, as if wearing a red shirt in training. I am saying that we should be more physical and forecheck harder and more often. Not just drop the gloves. :)

Blueboy

Apr 15, 2019
Win or lose, got a feeling this game will wake them up.

Isles are a great example of sum of the parts, Leafs could learn a few things against them.

Time to wake up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad