Mantha being scratched again in NY tonight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TKB

Jun 12, 2010
Chicago
Well rather than get mad and engage in the debate I decided to say to hell with it...

and took the Hawks tonight -1 1/2 at +225.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
I don't have a problem with this. I don't care if sheehan sucks more. We don't have expectations for Sheehan nor are we banking on him being an integral part of the future. If mantha isn't doing things he needs to be doing then being held out of a meaningless regular season game isn't the worst teaching tool. Sheehan and whoever else is irrelevant. You don't compare to the lowest common denominator.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
Not defending Sheahan. I'm saying that Sheahan shouldn't be part of this discussion. He's the beneficiary of them benching Mantha for compete level questions. Him playing instead of Mantha has nothing to do with Riley Sheahan and everything to do with Anthony Mantha.

Exactly. Riley Sheahan will be a footnote in NHL history. Mantha has the ability to be a star

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
See, that's the thing. I don't think it's a double standard. They hold each player accountable to push themselves. If that means that Riley Sheahan plays worthy of a 3 and he's capable of playing to a 3 and Mantha plays to a 5 when he's capable of playing to a 7 or 8, they're going to keep Sheahan out there as a wakeup call to say "don't compare yourself to Riley, Mo."

That is the most ridiculous justification. I bet some random fan would really work their butt off to play up to there 1 potential, does that mean they should be in the line up over Mantha too?

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
Mantha positions his big body well along the boards but he needs to be more aggressive. Earlier in the season he was a beast along the boards, he's faded out lately. I'm sure if z pulled him aside it would have an equal impact to getting scratched and might even be the better option.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Mantha positions his big body well along the boards but he needs to be more aggressive. Earlier in the season he was a beast along the boards, he's faded out lately. I'm sure if z pulled him aside it would have an equal impact to getting scratched and might even be the better option.

Mantha is doing the same bad habits in Detroit as he did when he played in Grand Rapids. He would be the most dominating forward on the ice for several games and then the next 5 games he would coast/gliding out there, not really trying to dig in the corners to use his size to his advantage and his scoring production dropped considerably. He has to get this out of his system. After he was scratched in GR for doing his "gliding act" he went back to playing his dominating game and produced much better. Mantha knows this as he has been down this road before and when he is back in the lineup this Sunday, his healthy scratch on Friday will get him fueled up again and he will be his dominating self again. No need to panic folks.

jolly roger

Aug 4, 2013

It's the coach plain and simple.
Who does he inspire?

And the special team's coach he brought in should try another work option.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
That is the most ridiculous justification. I bet some random fan would really work their butt off to play up to there 1 potential, does that mean they should be in the line up over Mantha too?

I bet you thought benching AA for dogging it was worse than the Great Depression as well.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
He's a Restricted Free Agent. Doesn't really work like that.

Just for the sake of academic discussion and not because I think Mantha is going to do this...

While Mantha can't become a UFA anytime soon, what he could do is make his RFA negotiations a thorn in the Red Wings side and create a scenario where trading him makes more sense.

A few players have tried to leverage this to mixed results. Kyle Turris worked his way out of Arizona by deploying an aggressive campaign of resistance.

jolly roger

Aug 4, 2013
Just for the sake of academic discussion and not because I think Mantha is going to do this...

While Mantha can't become a UFA anytime soon, what he could do is make his RFA negotiations a thorn in the Red Wings side and create a scenario where trading him makes more sense.

A few players have tried to leverage this to mixed results. Kyle Turris worked his way out of Arizona by deploying an aggressive campaign of resistance.

Trouba played his hand out too

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Yeah, he's not quite gone yet, but he's certainly working on it isn't he?

Well not really. He's signed now for three whole years with a well below market yearly avg. He overplayed his hand is now without any leverage for a good bit of time. What he did do though was suck it up and have a great year not only getting his value to where it was previously but increased it. So now if a team comes calling they'll give the jets an enticing package so at least there's a chance he'll be traded. He was never going to be traded for fair value whilst holding out and the jets had no reason to sell low.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
If you're going to cry your way out of town over being benched for a game you're probably not a player that was going to amount to much anyway.. Luckily Mantha is acting like a professional.

It wouldn't just be for this one benching, it'd be for the whole culture of devolpment that so many of us dislike and that has contributed to us being at this point right now.

jolly roger

Aug 4, 2013
It wouldn't just be for this one benching, it'd be for the whole culture of devolpment that so many of us dislike and that has contributed to us being at this point right now.

Getting sent down to start the year, getting replaced by Ott, getting called "spare parts" and now this insult. The Blashill culture is permitted and enhanced by Holland. It's time to clean house. Get rid of them both. Promote Chelios.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Riley Sheahan aka Dan Cleary 2.0. Even though we all think you deserve to be in AHL the coach still loves ya buddy.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
To me, Mantha has another gear that he has found a few times this season. Lately he's been coasting. Both he and Larkin haven't really impressed me much lately. Mantha can play better, he just hasn't. Benching him might revive him.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I am going to agree with people I rarely agree with here: Mantha has been floating for the past few games. He needs to know his roster spot is earned, not given. I know DD and Sheahan suck, but you can't bench your way out of those dumpster fires this season, at least with Mantha this might light a fire under his ass.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
^ exactly. Sheahan and Dekeyser won't improve their compete level because they are competing, and failing miserably. Mantha is extremely skilled, but not playing with the passion he's capable of, or the same urgency he did early on.

Benching him is not going to hurt him or the team.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
People wonder why kids regress here? Lol

Yep it's totally because they get benched after a series of games where they floated. That is absolutely why. It's not that they went from being third line guys and riding on Datsyuks coat tails to first liners who are meant to drive the play and they're not capable of the greater responsibility. It's definitely the benching.

It's not because people actually have the book on Nyquist and Tatar now and they haven't made the adjustment to do something different. Or that Larkin they know is gonna try to zip around the outside so they shut that off. It's totally the benching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad