Manny Malhotra

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
Why not use Prust-Bournival-Weise as our 4th line... You have size, toughness (Prust), and speed (Bourni / Weise). They can be deployed in a defensive role and can be great on the forecheck.

Manny's finished in this league.

Habitant#1

Feb 15, 2006
Brisbane
Actually I think he'll be easily exposed in the playoffs if he plays more than 6ish minutes. He spends entire shifts in the defensive zone and basically puts the team at a disadvantage every time he's on the ice. Sure he wins faceoffs, but his line generally loses possession quickly after the faceoff.

This.

He's a very intelligent player. I'm not sure how much you've watched him with other teams. He's very effective and I feel he'll be quite valuable in the second season.

Malhotra wins faceoffs but then never has the puck the rest of the shift. There are like two to three shots against for every shot for when he's on the ice. "Defending" in your end is a myth, no matter how good you are at it. Good shut down players get puck possession quickly from the opposition and then spend the rest of the shift cycling in the offensive zone. Offence isn't necessary for a 4th line, but puck possession and offensive zone time are.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Malhotra has less points than Rene Bourque from his time with us this season.

This is concerning, no matter what your role is.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Nice guy to have as a depth forward and good veteran, but he brings nothing other than winning faceoffs.. considering all our other centres are doing very good on faceoffs there really isn't any need for him to be playing every game.

I wouldn't even mind giving Dumont another chance as our fourth line C, he works his ass off and is doing pretty good offensively in the AHL.. could look good with two of Prust/Weise/Bournival.

Beige Van

Oct 4, 2009
Canada
Malhotra has less points than Rene Bourque from his time with us this season.

This is concerning, no matter what your role is.

Malholtra and Price are tied in points. I am actually curious to see which player finishes with more points.

I think Manny is a great team guy, good in the room, superb on faceoffs. But a black hole for offence. You don't expect these guys to score 10 goals or 20 points, but to chip in every 5 or 6 games would be extremely nice, considering how close the games are. A timely goal from the 4th line could make the difference between a win and a loss 5 or 6 times a season. We've gotten zip.

And the whole defensive thing is exaggerated. Malholtra is a team worst -8 on a +17 team. I just think we are setting the bar low if we are thrilled with a great faceoff character guy and absolutely nothing else.

InglewoodJack

Jun 10, 2009
Châteauguay
I defended Mahotra for so long, but it's true that he's essentially a black hole for offense, and no contender has a player, no matter how sheltered and how great at one specific thing who can't put up even 20 points a year. I mean, goons who can barely hold their stick the right way up are outscoring him.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Malholtra and Price are tied in points. I am actually curious to see which player finishes with more points.

I think Manny is a great team guy, good in the room, superb on faceoffs. But a black hole for offence. You don't expect these guys to score 10 goals or 20 points, but to chip in every 5 or 6 games would be extremely nice, considering how close the games are. A timely goal from the 4th line could make the difference between a win and a loss 5 or 6 times a season. We've gotten zip.

And the whole defensive thing is exaggerated. Malholtra is a team worst -8 on a +17 team. I just think we are setting the bar low if we are thrilled with a great faceoff character guy and absolutely nothing else.
-8 given how few goals for Malhotra is involved in is actually pretty good. If we assume his 1 assist is the only goals for he was involved in, he is responsible for only 9 goals against for the whole season.

Not that I like his game all that much though, but using +/- against him isn't the best argument.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Manny is to faceoffs, as Gorges was to blocked shots. It's this stat people will keep bringing up when they want to brag about a player, like they are somehow contributing a lot, by doing very little.

Saintpatrick*

This will surely make some people mad but I'd like to have Yappy Lappy back as the 4th line C.

Same here. I was kind of upset when he was traded I loved how he got under everyone's skin and he wasn't a bad bottom 6 guy.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Manny is to faceoffs, as Gorges was to blocked shots. It's this stat people will keep bringing up when they want to brag about a player, like they are somehow contributing a lot, by doing very little.

Even Gorges (and Georges Laraque ) were able to pick up a handful of points over time.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
I kind of feel bad for Manny. He has such a **** role. He hasn't done much to have it increased, but it must be demoralizing spending the majority of your ice-time taking faceoffs for other lines and then getting off the ice.

It's a smart tactic, but it's wayyyyy over done now.

FF de Mars

Mar 2, 2002
42 rue Fontaine
I kind of feel bad for Manny. He has such a **** role. He hasn't done much to have it increased, but it must be demoralizing spending the majority of your ice-time taking faceoffs for other lines and then getting off the ice.

It's a smart tactic, but it's wayyyyy over done now.

I get what you mean, but the Canadiens are a professionnal team; it's not about hurting feelings, it's about winning. Malhotra is done, he doesn't do anything useful, just hire him as a faceoff coach and he'd be more useful. In the same way I wish Therrien could be more professionnal with Desharnais and stop playing him as a #1C.

Analyzer*

http://25stanley.com/le-futur-de-manny-malhotra-pourrait-etre-ailleurs-qua-montreal.html
Check out the graph in that link.

Laraque or Brashear is good at what they suppose to do, that makes them a good hockey player ?
We need a great 4th liner, like Moore or Metropolit or maybe at certain extent Lapierre.

I want Lappy back.

This will surely make some people mad but I'd like to have Yappy Lappy back as the 4th line C.

Hate to break it to you guys, but Lapierre sucks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad