Manny Malhotra speaks for the first time after the team put him on IR

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Manny just can't grasp the reality of his injury IMO, and it's going to take time before he can accept he can't or at least shouldn't play hockey anymore. What he's say or has said is just someone who can't wrap their head around being done with hockey.

I think it's for the best of the team and his safety. He's not even close to being the player he once was since the injury, and he should take a look at some footage of how he played before and after the injury.

Wizeman*

Malhotra was cleared by team doctors to play over a year ago. There is no way that the team would be liable for another injury.

It's gillis's stated opinion that it is unsafe for malhotra to play, but it is not based on anything substantive. The fact that gillis allowed manny to play more than a full season before shutting him down, along with the timing, which coincided with the return of kesler and booth, makes it pretty obvious that gillis's stated justification is not his true motive.

If malhotra filed a grievance with the PA, I'm sure he'd be put on active status. Then he'd probably be waived, but maybe not with kesler hurt again.

I would argue that no team dares put him on the ice without medical clearance from a doctor, which he isnt going to get anytime soon. I was under the impression the eye has become worse and he can no longer get doctor clearance.

LolClarkson*

Yeah I think the interview specifically stated that he does not question Gillis' decision. Don't write something for the sake of stirring up conversation.

I heard the interview. He disagreed with something.

Smokey McCanucks

PuckDaddy "Perfect HFBoard Trade Proposal 02/24/14
Dec 21, 2010
If Gillis were being selfish and putting the team first, ahead of Manny's health, Manny would still be playing...the Canucks were 8-2-2 with Manny and are 2-3-2 without him. The Canucks really miss having Manny out on the ice and it shows, we are hurting on faceoffs and defensively without him. Gillis would not intentionally do something that impacts the team's chance of winning unless he truly thought that it was an important step to take (definitely not for a few dollars of cap savings we didn't really need!). Especially now we lost Volpatti on waivers from having to call up Ebbett, that sucks all kinds of suck, to question the legitimacy of Gillis' decision is stupidity at the highest level.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Not sure if its Manny's eye, or just decline in play, but hes not an NHL player. He wins faceoffs? so did Mike Ridley........

hes not useful anymore. Stop letting him practise, take his name off his stall and move forward. Waive him, trade him, send to minors, whatever.

Having him hang around is unprofessional, and looks dumb. Reminds me of giving Luongo the 'C' and pulling a lever for a 7th man.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
I believe that Gillis is being genuine about Manny's eye and not just doing this because Kesler/Booth came back. If they had no hesitation to waive Volpatti for no apparent reason, they would've done so to make room for Booth (since Ebbett went down for Kesler).

That said, I get where Manny is coming from. Obviously it's tough to just have your career taken away like that, so he'll probably work as hard as he can doing whatever he can to get his eye back. And I'm sure the Canucks would love nothing more than for that to happen and would re-sign him instantly (at a discounted price for a discounted role).

Even though it's Manny Malhotra, if it was an issue with his performance, I don't see why Gillis wouldn't just trade him or waive him, and straight up say that he isn't fitting a role on this team right now, but we wish him the best and have a organizational job in the front office/coaching staff for him any time he wants. The concern is genuine, and the reaction from both sides is genuine.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
I heard the interview. He disagreed with something.

He disagreed with Gillis' evaluation but didn't doubt that Gillis was doing this to protect him rather than for cap/roster reasons. He also said this organization treated him the best of all the other ones and he would like to be a part of it going forward. Does that sound like somebody who thinks they're being used?

DustyMartellaughs

Flashing the leather.
Jun 12, 2009
Dawson Creek, BC
The idea that he sees worse now than he did last year, or that there's no change but his balance had worsened, makes sense. The brain initially tries to reset after a trauma to the eye, but it can reshift priority to a healthier eye as a means to see, even if there is a loss of equilibrium. So says my eye doctor, for what it's worth.
The same principle is at play after a car accident. Your back may appear fine three months later, but after 18 months be ruining your activity level. The body reacts to the brain trying to mitigate vulnerability.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013

You just need to copy the part of the URL after the equal sign and put that in the YT tags.

Oh, was trying to enter the page address link not the URL.

The bits that people have quoted from that video do not do Manny justice, he was a lot more positive then It seemed by comments

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Was there any discussion or comments from the medical staff whether they deemed his vision unsafe to play or anything regarding his peripheral vision?

Will be interesting if he decides to move on in the off season what another team will say.

Imo we could use him right now, but I cant disagree with gillis if he is actually concerned for his safety.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad