* Questions Gillis' decision
* Does not agree with Gillis' concern to his health
* Does not rule out playing again after this season

Link

Discuss

Last edited:

coastal_nuck

Jun 28, 2006
Yeah I think the interview specifically stated that he does not question Gillis' decision. Don't write something for the sake of stirring up conversation.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Uhhhh... he said that he doesn't question that the decision has to do with that. He just disagees with Gillis about his safety.

You posted this in the other thread.

He also said that he had no doubt that Gillis did it for his safety and not because of Kesler coming back. Said he always feels treated with utmost respect, etc. and that he knows Gillis cares for his future rather than just thinking about the hockey club.

Did anyone expect anything different though? These guys are willing to have their fingers amputated to play. They're never going to admit they're in danger.

Agree, in the end Gillis did what was best for the hockey club; and Malhotra can prep for life after hockey. I doubt many NHL teams would be interested in his services anyways.

Reactions: RussianRacket

Wizeman*

you have to ask yourself, what if something happened to the other eye. There is no way any NHL team should allow that chance and if they did, Malholtra's family could sue .

Manny is a hockey player. Its his passion and love. He is not of sound mind when it comes to making this decision. Its Gillis' , AV and the doctors responsibility to make sure the guy does not go blind.

They made the decision. And I am certain the memo went out to all the other NHL teams.

I think the Canucks are waiting for Manny to go through the grief and loss first stage of denial and then keep him as a scout or start coaching in the system.

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
He's not been playing well, but I'd hardly say he's at risk because of it. Technically speaking IR is the wrong move. Although it's definitely preferable to waiving him, that's for sure.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
No sympathy for Manny Malhotra whatsoever. Especially when he calls out management like that.

Why?

Management could have simply waived him. Instead Gillis decided to still pay him and keep him rather then sending him down to the minors or what other place.

No sympathy. To comfortable... that's what these players are becoming, to comfortable.... Maybe your performance was not up to par Malhotra?

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
He's not been playing well, but I'd hardly say he's at risk because of it. Technically speaking IR is the wrong move. Although it's definitely preferable to waiving him, that's for sure.

I don't think he was cut because of poor play, It was more fear he would get blind sided by a massive hit he cant see coming.

Cocoa Crisp

Mar 8, 2006
NYC
No sympathy for Manny Malhotra whatsoever. Especially when he calls out management like that.

Why?

Management could have simply waived him. Instead Gillis decided to still pay him and keep him rather then sending him down to the minors or what other place.

No sympathy. To comfortable... that's what these players are becoming, to comfortable.... Maybe your performance was not up to par Malhotra?

It's their dream to play in the best league in the world, not to collect a hefty paycheck whilst hanging out with the guys at practice.

There are two ways to interpret what happened: 1) Gillis shut him down for the season unilaterally, nullifying the possibility of waivers or 2) Gillis and Manny talked about waivers, Manny figured given his caphit he wouldn't be claimed and would therefore be playing for the Wolves (not his dream).

Either way, I feel for Manny. It was a freak accident, just as he was establishing himself as one of the best shutdown guys in the league and living up to his high draft status.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010

Why?

This is exceptionally ridiculous.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
It's their dream to play in the best league in the world, not to collect a hefty paycheck whilst hanging out with the guys at practice.

There are two ways to interpret what happened: 1) Gillis shut him down for the season unilaterally, nullifying the possibility of waivers or 2) Gillis and Manny talked about waivers, Manny figured given his caphit he wouldn't be claimed and would therefore be playing for the Wolves (not his dream).

Either way, I feel for Manny. It was a freak accident, just as he was establishing himself as one of the best shutdown guys in the league and living up to his high draft status.

The guy is still getting paid his 2.5 million instead of being waived to the wolves. The decent thing he should do is just keep quiet about it.

Just my opinion that's all. In my opinion the Canucks have treated him more then fairly. I feel bad that he suffered that freak injury, but calling out management for a more than generous predicament
is uncalled for.

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
I don't think he was cut because of poor play, It was more fear he would get blind sided by a massive hit he cant see coming.

While his eye-injury probably affected his coordination, I don't think it makes any difference as to him keeping his head up or ability to see a 6-foot 200 pound player barreling at him.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
The guy is still getting paid his 2.5 million instead of being waived to the wolves. The decent thing he should do is just keep quiet about it.

Just my opinion that's all. In my opinion the Canucks have treated him more then fairly. I feel bad that he suffered that freak injury, but calling out management for a more than generous predicament
is uncalled for.

You realize he would be paid $2.5M even if he was waived to the wolves, right?

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
While his eye-injury probably affected his coordination, I don't think it makes any difference as to him keeping his head up or ability to see a 6-foot 200 pound player barreling at him.

That,s just how I interpreted when MG said that it was about Mannys safety and I dose not matter how big the object is if you cant see out half of one eye, that's why they have invented these

images

To help see this

nike-hindsight-glasses.jpg

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011

is uncalled for.

He gets paid either way. Getting waived to the AHL means he's still an active player. Being on the IR means he's barred from playing. The guy wants to earn his pay.

I don't think he should be playing but your opinion is little off.

Taelin

Resident Hipster
Jan 17, 2012
Vancouver
I saw Manny on Tuesday, and his eye did not look good. Looked even worse than the last time I saw him (the first open practice in January).

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
gillis did whats best for manny. his health his eye. life after hockey. hes not gonna play i think next season retire.

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011

I don't know how reliable this is but the word is that it takes Manny far too long to get his bearings after a hit. The injury affected more than just his vision.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

look straight ahead, work out how far left you can see with peripheral vision

Put your hand over you left eye.

It does matter, it's not just skaters, it's pucks and sticks. And all that before the risk to the right eye.

Chubros

Dec 9, 2011
you have to ask yourself, what if something happened to the other eye. There is no way any NHL team should allow that chance and if they did, Malholtra's family could sue .

Manny is a hockey player. Its his passion and love. He is not of sound mind when it comes to making this decision. Its Gillis' , AV and the doctors responsibility to make sure the guy does not go blind.

They made the decision. And I am certain the memo went out to all the other NHL teams.

I think the Canucks are waiting for Manny to go through the grief and loss first stage of denial and then keep him as a scout or start coaching in the system.

Malhotra was cleared by team doctors to play over a year ago. There is no way that the team would be liable for another injury.

It's gillis's stated opinion that it is unsafe for malhotra to play, but it is not based on anything substantive. The fact that gillis allowed manny to play more than a full season before shutting him down, along with the timing, which coincided with the return of kesler and booth, makes it pretty obvious that gillis's stated justification is not his true motive.

If malhotra filed a grievance with the PA, I'm sure he'd be put on active status. Then he'd probably be waived, but maybe not with kesler hurt again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad