News Article: Manny Malholtra to be Leafs next assistant coach

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
The downside of this however is Leafs despite being one of the richest teams in the NHL and management salaries not having salary caps, it prevents the Leafs from having the best and most experience and proven winning management team guiding them, thus giving the team the best chance for success.
This is wrong. They chose the option that gave the Leafs the best chance for success. Their choice had nothing to do with saving money.
MLSE just went through a year where their team failed to qualify for the playoffs as a result of on the job training with management at all levels
This is wrong. Leafs did qualify for the playoffs, and any difficulties this year were primarily caused by injuries and poor goaltending, which is not a result of inexperience in management.

Reactions: kb and Merrrlin

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Hiring Boudreau would have given the Leafs a better assistant coach then their own head coach at present, and would have resulted in a situation where Keefe was constantly looking over his shoulder feeling the pressure of his own replacement edging closer with every loss. The Leafs hiring Boudreau as head coach, and then having Sheldon Keefe serve and assume the duties of assistant coach (while he was in NHL training towards future head coach position) and better suited for this hiring being discussed here, and would have been a more logical chain of command behind the bench, based on experience and abilities and creating the best situation for Leafs to win NOW. IMO

Hiring Malhotra also a young guy in training removes the pressure on Keefe as his potential successor, maintains a clear chain of command as to who is calling the shots, and creates a less untenable and perceived hostile working environment with no hidden agendas focused on the head coaching position.

The downside of this however is Leafs despite being one of the richest teams in the NHL and management salaries not having salary caps, it prevents the Leafs from having the best and most experience and proven winning management team guiding them, thus giving the team the best chance for success. But rather going with youth and inexperience and dealing with on the job learning curves and saving on paying top end salaries for top end coaching, but getting the overall team results that decision dictates.

In a Cap world the Leafs go with paying their players the highest (which is bad) for competitiveness, and then when it comes to management to lead them, the organization then goes with youth and inexperience top to bottom (which is also bad) for competitiveness when the objective is to win now. MLSE just went through a year where their team failed to qualify for the playoffs as a result of on the job training with management at all levels, and no offense to Maholtra, but he is unlikely to make the same coaching impact to significantly change the course of this team based on his current level of experience and abilities.

Its now ride or die with the results of this next upcoming season outcome to prove if this was worth the return on investment with on the job management training for ownership, with a strong playoff run this year their just reward and for Leaf Nations fans as well. :crossfing

This is a whole lot of nonsense, Mess

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
This is a whole lot of nonsense, Mess

Bruce Boudreau is better suited for a head coaching job than assistant job, particularly with Leafs current situation.

He should keep his resume updated and MLSE on speed dial just in case they come calling if there is a new opening in the near future.

BB would be a good fit as an assistant coach on a veteran coaching staff that is secure in their head coach position and a team with current success and trying to bring in added expertise only. Also could be seen as a keeping busy while there are no new head coaching positions available, with an out-clause if one should arise. But would come across as too threatening in Leafs situation with the current situation a lot more tenuous and more qualified for Leafs head coaching position then our current one based on resumes career to date.

Manny Maholtra is a good fit for the Leafs current situation, but this whole management team should be considered more temporary employment than permanent because this is a make or break year for the GM and the current coach where positive results will be required.

If change happens then Manny might find himself unemployed without team success, as he is very unlikely to assume the interim head coaching position if the team struggles, whereas a Boudreau hire would have an instant replacement in house willing and able and more than capable to take over the reigns.

Last edited:

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
Kyle Dubas learning on the fly. At our expense of course. I am not saying it will be a bad move but, we kinda need results NOW and is it really the time to be experimenting?

Hoping Malhotra will be a strong voice to speak up when someone up higher wants to do something stupid in the final game of the year, like change around the lines that work for ones that don't.

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
what did he do for Vancouver besides help with faceoffs?

He was always known as a player/coach. From what i remember canucks fans used to rave about how smart this guy was, it was like having an extra coach on the bench. He was solid defensively as well, what you want out of a legit 3C. I like the addition, given his age/experience as a player, I think our young guys are gonna benefit a ton from this addition.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Bruce Boudreau is better suited for a head coaching job than assistant job, particularly with Leafs current situation.

He should keep his resume updated and MLSE on speed dial just in case they come calling if there is a new opening in the near future.

BB would be a good fit as an assistant coach on a veteran coaching staff that is secure in their head coach position and a team with current success and trying to bring in added expertise only. Also could be seen as a keeping busy while there are no new head coaching positions available, with an out-clause if one should arise. But would come across as too threatening in Leafs situation with the current situation a lot more tenuous and more qualified for Leafs head coaching position then our current one based on resumes career to date.

Manny Maholtra is a good fit for the Leafs current situation, but this whole management team should be considered more temporary employment than permanent because this is a make or break year for the GM and the current coach where positive results will be required.

If change happens then Manny might find himself unemployed without team success, as he is very unlikely to assume the interim head coaching position if the team struggles, whereas a Boudreau hire would have an instant replacement in house willing and able and more than capable to take over the reigns.
This is a bunch of nonsense.
Version 2.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Leafs made the right decision in choosing Manny over Boudreau. They know this is a long term process, and know you need synergy from within the organization. Even if some fans are upset their choice wasn't hired, doesn't make it a bad hire. The Leafs don't operate as a Nonis/Babcock operation where you assume power to make the other person feel left out. Another positive move by the front office.

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
Tocchet, Brind'Amour, Blashill, D.J. Smih, Berube, Cooper, Green, Evason

You don't have to be 60+ to have success as a coach and you don't need to recycle coaches who have been around forever
I'm noticing a pattern from certain posters and thru reading the boards I find out their age and it doesn't surprise me. Clash of the ages lol
Obviously there are exceptions but it's a trend for sure.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Leafs made the right decision in choosing Manny over Boudreau. They know this is a long term process, and know you need synergy from within the organization. Even if some fans are upset their choice wasn't hired, doesn't make it a bad hire. The Leafs don't operate as a Nonis/Babcock operation where you assume power to make the other person feel left out. Another positive move by the front office.
if they hired BB would your response be any less positive ?

we'll have wait to see how this hiring plays out , hopefully he does well but at the end of the day he's still just an a/c and it's Keefe who will have the final say over how the team is coached

Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Manny is fairly inexperienced in the coaching world having moved up from player development.

Maple Leafs hire Manny Malhotra as assistant coach

The Toronto Maple Leafs have hired Manny Malhotra as their newest assistant coach, the team announced Thursday.

Malhotra spent the past few seasons on the Vancouver Canucks‘ coaching staff as an assistant — a familiar rink for him, as he spent three seasons playing for the Canucks. Malhotra has been with the organization in a coaching capacity since 2016, when he was brought in as a development coach not long after his retirement as a player. He was named as an assistant in Vancouver the following spring.

“I’m very grateful to the Canucks organization for the opportunity given to me to start my coaching career. It was truly a great experience to learn from Travis Green and the rest of his staff,” said Malhotra in a statement. “I’m now very excited for this opportunity with the Leafs moving forward – to be working with Sheldon, his staff and this young, talented team.”

Now, the move to Toronto will also be a homecoming for the former NHLer, as Malhotra hails from Mississauga.

“The work ethic, character, intelligence and attention to detail that made Manny the ultimate teammate when he played are all assets that have translated to his coaching. That, combined with his charisma and communication skills, make us really excited to have him join the organization,” said Leafs head coach Sheldon Keefe. “On behalf of the Leafs, I’d like to thank Travis Green, Jim Benning and the Canucks organization for the opportunity to speak with Manny.”

Maple Leafs hire Manny Malhotra as assistant coach - Sportsnet.ca

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Manny is fairly inexperienced in the coaching world having moved up from player development.

The Toronto Maple Leafs have hired Manny Malhotra as their newest assistant coach, the team announced Thursday.

Malhotra spent the past few seasons on the Vancouver Canucks‘ coaching staff as an assistant — a familiar rink for him, as he spent three seasons playing for the Canucks. Malhotra has been with the organization in a coaching capacity since 2016, when he was brought in as a development coach not long after his retirement as a player. He was named as an assistant in Vancouver the following spring.

“I’m very grateful to the Canucks organization for the opportunity given to me to start my coaching career. It was truly a great experience to learn from Travis Green and the rest of his staff,” said Malhotra in a statement. “I’m now very excited for this opportunity with the Leafs moving forward – to be working with Sheldon, his staff and this young, talented team.”

Now, the move to Toronto will also be a homecoming for the former NHLer, as Malhotra hails from Mississauga.

“The work ethic, character, intelligence and attention to detail that made Manny the ultimate teammate when he played are all assets that have translated to his coaching. That, combined with his charisma and communication skills, make us really excited to have him join the organization,” said Leafs head coach Sheldon Keefe. “On behalf of the Leafs, I’d like to thank Travis Green, Jim Benning and the Canucks organization for the opportunity to speak with Manny.”

This too is a whole lot of nonsense, Mess.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011

You read this article and your key take away is "inexperienced in the coaching world". Is your preference an assistant that says "sure i'll take the job but the second a head coaching gig comes around i'm gone" ? We have a head coach, someone with lots of coaching experience, you're going to have to deal with the fact that Keefe is the head coach.

The assistant's job is going to be to focus on a few key aspects such as power play, not to teach Keefe how to be a head coach and look over his shoulder, if that's what you were looking for.

Keefe hired someone who is going to be committed for the duration of their contract and execute on a vision, giving the coaching staff in its entirety the best chance at success, not to inject and sway their own opinions as a former head coach, and then ditch town when something else comes up. This decision will also allow the players a chance to build a rapport with the assistant and from what I heard from Vancouver, is a really good thing to let Malhotra do.

I encourage you to name the alternative hire that was going to stick around with the Leafs long enough to execute an actual coaching strategy, which normally takes up to 3 years to give it a chance to be successful.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
if they hired BB would your response be any less positive ?

we'll have wait to see how this hiring plays out , hopefully he does well but at the end of the day he's still just an a/c and it's Keefe who will have the final say over how the team is coached
Why would it be? BB is an excellent coach.

cesareborgia

Jun 9, 2010
Another Canucks fan coming to offer Congratulations to you fine folks. @Bgav said it better than I could have, with the link to that great article.

The thing I’ll add is that I’m glad Manny is going to be helping another Canadian franchise. The NHL always benefits when Canadian based teams do well.

Great to see your organization going after quality people to improve your culture and systems.
View attachment 367847

Cheers
Good post, but you're wrong in saying the NHL benefits when Canadian teams do well. The league has no desire for the Canadian teams to do well. It's the exact opposite, actually.

theTTC

Aug 17, 2010
Great. Another "players coach". We already have one. And we have a "players GM". How's this been working out for us?

Leaf players these days - it's not if you win or lose, but it's about how you feel.

sigh... where are you Lou Lamoriello?

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018

This is a bunch of nonsense.

Boudreau is twice the coach Manny hopes to be.

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018

Its amusing how all these posters can't counter one thing you post. Not even a single point. They just try to brush it off.

Keep it up!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad