Manitoba Moose 2021 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
The problem with this reply is that it assumes that the Jets' current 4th line is any better defensively that the Moose top line and that the role of the Jets 4th line (at which it is failing) is anything more than to outplay the other team's 4th line for 5 minutes per night.
Well, do we know what that the top line is more solid defensively? Of course I can refer to authority and say obviously the coaches know what the player's strengths are. That players destined for lower spots in the line-up are taught to play more safely and give-up less than players who have always been taught to take chances to try and make plays happen.

Reactions: JetsUK

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
This is a good post game interview with Pascal Vincent talking about Berdin and Chibisov.

Thanks for this. PV is a great interview -- fewer bon mots than PoMo, but you sure learn a lot about the mindset and development paths of the Moose players and team. I can def see him making a move sooner rather than later.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Is here any gritty guys on the moose? If Niku wants to make the team he should start fighting ppl as the Jets need a gritty D.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
All good except for the dud at the end! Guy has proven nothing.
Neither has Luoto and he’s getting a chance oddly. He’s played better lately and needs to stay down and play lots. He’ll be a great addition to jets by year end. Put him on Lowry line and watch him thrive.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Neither has Luoto and he’s getting a chance oddly. He’s played better lately and needs to stay down and play lots. He’ll be a great addition to jets by year end. Put him on Lowry line and watch him thrive.

Gus has been the only guy that has shown anything and lately not much, think TNSE is trying to make an adjustment to Vesa's attitude or something like that, "we'll call everyone one up except you"

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Gus has been the only guy that has shown anything and lately not much, think TNSE is trying to make an adjustment to Vesa's attitude or something like that, "we'll call everyone one up except you"
I would have Griffith and Chibisov in there over Shaw and Luoto. Maybe coach thinks they’re not as good defensively? Can’t be much worse in own zone than Luoto. At least 4th line would spend some time in ozone if they were up.

Reactions: sipowicz

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I want Chibisov with the Jets. I wonder if it is the language problem that is holding him back?

Edit: Just to be clear, I want him for his glue. :laugh: :sarcasm:

Right now we could promote the whole top line of the Moose to the Jets 4th line, and I don't think there would be an issue. All of them are doing the right things. Only thing is none kill penalties as far as I know, maybe Harkins does, but I'd be surprised if he got reps, which means after Lowry-Copp, Connor-Wheeler, Scheifele is the next man up. Be interesting to see if any changes are coming. that 4th line is lucky to not get scored on more often right now.

I don't think language is the issue, more opportunity. So far it has been defensive players (PKers) getting called up to replace the likes of Letestu, then Bourque and Apples.

Chibisov-Harkins-Spacek would be an interesting 4th line, has all the intangibles.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Right now we could promote the whole top line of the Moose to the Jets 4th line, and I don't think there would be an issue. All of them are doing the right things. Only thing is none kill penalties as far as I know, maybe Harkins does, but I'd be surprised if he got reps, which means after Lowry-Copp, Connor-Wheeler, Scheifele is the next man up. Be interesting to see if any changes are coming. that 4th line is lucky to not get scored on more often right now.

I don't think language is the issue, more opportunity. So far it has been defensive players (PKers) getting called up to replace the likes of Letestu, then Bourque and Apples.

Chibisov-Harkins-Spacek would be an interesting 4th line, has all the intangibles.

I agree.
I would leave Harkins with the Moose though. Let him continue to get big minutes in a big role. Gus could stay, with better wingers. He is not the weakest link on our 4th line. But I would rather see him getting more TOI with the Moose too. 4C could be Suess, Spacek, even Appleton when he gets back. Until Apples and Bourque get back, I don't see any reason not to give Lipon a few games at 4RW with Chibisov at LW and xxx in the middle. Can't be worse than what we are running right now. Chibi and Lipon would bring some size and some grit. Might have been useful last night.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
In the early years I wanted to see Lipon play on the Jets, when we weren't talent laden but had some sandpaper in the lineup. When we started to transition to a skill team, I figured his ship had sailed. I don't think he would get the call now, just because his footspeed is probably below average, and especially on the road you have to protect your 4th line. I would worry about becoming too slow. Shaw is a decent skater for what it is worth, and he can win draws, which without Letestu and Little on the right side, is an issue. Frankly neither Nashville or Dallas are intimidating teams, so I don't expect changes, though swapping Chibisov for Luoto would perhaps make sense. especially given where they are in their development stage, and the added muscle to play against smaller faster defenses coming up. Chibisov has already played in a man's league for years. Swap Spacek in for Gus and you start to have some creativity out there.

I'd like to see Harkins get a shot soon. That 4th line centre position is not a lock by any means, and maybe a little more speed, finished checks and willingness to battle in the corners changes the possession arrow favourably and earns some confidence from coach and teammates alike, so that we keep the team a little fresher as the grind continues.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
In the early years I wanted to see Lipon play on the Jets, when we weren't talent laden but had some sandpaper in the lineup. When we started to transition to a skill team, I figured his ship had sailed. I don't think he would get the call now, just because his footspeed is probably below average, and especially on the road you have to protect your 4th line. I would worry about becoming too slow. Shaw is a decent skater for what it is worth, and he can win draws, which without Letestu and Little on the right side, is an issue. Frankly neither Nashville or Dallas are intimidating teams, so I don't expect changes, though swapping Chibisov for Luoto would perhaps make sense. especially given where they are in their development stage, and the added muscle to play against smaller faster defenses coming up. Chibisov has already played in a man's league for years. Swap Spacek in for Gus and you start to have some creativity out there.

I'd like to see Harkins get a shot soon. That 4th line centre position is not a lock by any means, and maybe a little more speed, finished checks and willingness to battle in the corners changes the possession arrow favourably and earns some confidence from coach and teammates alike, so that we keep the team a little fresher as the grind continues.

I don't think Lipon is slow. Shaw is slow. I don't see Lipon as a long term solution at this point. Bourque is better. But while our regular 4th line is out injured, I don't think we have a better solution at 4RW.

I don't want to see Harkins playing 5 minutes games on our 4th line. He is taking a big step forward this year and I don't want to interfere with that. If another injury created an opportunity on the 3rd line, he might be a fit.

Reactions: Upperdeckjet

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I don't think Lipon is slow. Shaw is slow. I don't see Lipon as a long term solution at this point. Bourque is better. But while our regular 4th line is out injured, I don't think we have a better solution at 4RW.

I don't want to see Harkins playing 5 minutes games on our 4th line. He is taking a big step forward this year and I don't want to interfere with that. If another injury created an opportunity on the 3rd line, he might be a fit.

Spacek might deserve a look first, we have 3 forwards in the final years of their ELC in Spacek, Harkins and Suess knocking on the door, and you have to make a decision about their careers at this point. I expect to see them all in the lineup at different points. Spacek would add more speed than either Shaw or Lipon. Chibisov scores again today (Vesalainen too). I think he is next, he had a strong camp to boot. This Cole Maier kid had 2 goals today, and Gawanke scored his first AHL goal, looks he has some promise. Moose keep on winning. Been a nice turn around.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Spacek might deserve a look first, we have 3 forwards in the final years of their ELC in Spacek, Harkins and Suess knocking on the door, and you have to make a decision about their careers at this point. I expect to see them all in the lineup at different points. Spacek would add more speed than either Shaw or Lipon. Chibisov scores again today (Vesalainen too). I think he is next, he had a strong camp to boot. This Cole Maier kid had 2 goals today, and Gawanke scored his first AHL goal, looks he has some promise. Moose keep on winning. Been a nice turn around.

Yeah, I don't mind taking a look at all 3 of those at some point in the season. It depends a bit on whether we see them as C's or wingers. But right now I think both Luoto and Gus should be in the AHL.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Echo a lot of the sentiment on the last page or so. At some point guys like Chibi, Harkins, and Spacek deserve shots on the Jets 4th line.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad