Managerial Thread - 23/24 Season - Lolverpool

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Alonso is apparently the priority for LFC. Which make total sense.

Which also mean if we read between the lines is that if Alonso go to Bayern or stay at Leverkusen that he would have refused to be LFC manager. Which also mean that most likely he will never be LFC manager as I don't see LFC wait a year to get their 1st target and I also doubt LFC will go back to him eventually unless a lot of other bad things happen in the next few years.

I am hopeful he will be LFC manager but the last thing I want is a manager not believing he can succeed after Klopp or feel he is not ready.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Alonso is apparently the priority for LFC. Which make total sense.

Which also mean if we read between the lines is that if Alonso go to Bayern or stay at Leverkusen that he would have refused to be LFC manager. Which also mean that most likely he will never be LFC manager as I don't see LFC wait a year to get their 1st target and I also doubt LFC will go back to him eventually unless a lot of other bad things happen in the next few years.

I am hopeful he will be LFC manager but the last thing I want is a manager not believing he can succeed after Klopp or feel he is not ready.
Feels like unnecessarily closing off your future options to have that attitude, but don't think any of the rest of world football will mind if Liverpool blacklist him for not taking the job this summer.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Feels like unnecessarily closing off your future options to have that attitude, but don't think any of the rest of world football will mind if Liverpool blacklist him for not taking the job this summer.
It's not a blacklist, it's not having the ambition and desire to take on the challenge. I love Alonso, one of my favorite player to have played for LFC, the fanbase would give him all the support no doubt but if he feels 'it is not the right time' that is a huge turn off. You think Guardiola thought that when he took over Barcelona straight from Barcelona B? Or Arteta when joined Arsenal without any prior managerial experience? You have to believe in yourself and the timing is most of the time, never perfect. Klopp or not, not enough experience or not, this opportunity is not like at United or Real Madeid or Bayern or Chelsea. LFC are not the type to hire a manager for one or two season. They want somebody that will build a powerhouse for many years to come. Sometime it fails (Rodgers), sometime it succeed (Klopp) but unless the team is rotten from the inside after 1 season, the next LFC manager will have the opportunity to build his legacy for multiple seasons.

Last edited:

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
It's not a blacklist, it's not having the ambition and desire to take on the challenge. I love Alonso, one of my favorite player to have played for LFC, the fanbase would give him all the support no doubt but if he feels 'it is not the right time' that is a huge turn off. You think Guardiola thought that when he took over Barcelona straight from Barcelona B? Or Arteta when joined Arsenal without any prior managerial experience? You have to believe in yourself and the timing is most of the time, never perfect. Klopp or not, not enough experience or not, this opportunity is not like at United or Real Madeid or Bayern or Chelsea. LFC are not the type to hire a manager for one or two season. They want somebody that will build a powerhouse for many years to come. Sometime it fails (Rodgers), sometime it succeed (Klopp) but unless the team is rotten from the inside after 1 season, the next LFC manager will have the opportunity to build his legacy for multiple seasons.
He might think it's not the right time because he doesn't want to be the one replacing a club legend. Look how that worked for Emery or Moyes or etc.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
He might think it's not the right time because he doesn't want to be the one replacing a club legend. Look how that worked for Emery or Moyes or etc.
Which is why I mentioned that is a huge turn off, it's not because it did not work for other that it will not work you.

If you are a player or a manager you need to have self belief that you will succeed. Not to mention, in term of player personnel it is a very good time as he can build a team he wants as Klopp legacy players eventually move on if not next summer, then the summer after.

Last edited:

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Which is why I mentioned that is a huge turn off, it's not because it did not work for other that it will not work you.

If you are a player or a manager you need to have self belief. Not to mention, in term of player personnel it is a very good time as he can build a team he wants as Klopp legacy players eventually move on.
Pretty hilarious take that if he joins Bayern, that means he's not ambitious enough for Liverpool, but you do you.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Pretty hilarious take that if he joins Bayern, that means he's not ambitious enough for Liverpool, but you do you.
In all honesty, yes. Going from Leverkusen to Bayern in the same league is quite an unambitious move. He might want to establish his legacy at Bayern but I would not consider winning the bundesliga with Bayern as a very ambitious career move.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Another example of a Liverpool Manager that took the impossible job and succeeded is Bob Paisley.

Bill Shankly one of the greatest manager to ever live and the greatest icon in LFC history was eventually replaced by Bob Paisley who followed that by becoming the manager with the most success in LFC history.

Reactions: gary69

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Liverpool's paying Klopp something like 20 million Euros a year. Teams like Bayern don't pay that kind of salary. Him turning down the job is just not going to happen.

• Wow
Reactions: Spring in Fialta

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
After last night's demonstration, any manager that doesn't jump at the chance to manage this Liverpool team is just not right in the head

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Liverpool's paying Klopp something like 20 million Euros a year. Teams like Bayern don't pay that kind of salary. Him turning down the job is just not going to happen.

Are you guys going to offer Xabi that same 20M a year? Cause Bayern are paying Tuchel 12-12.5M a year, and will presumably offer his replacement more than that.

I get that money doesn't really matter to EPL clubs, but that doesn't mean that every EPL club can outspend every other club on every single transaction.

If you are a player or a manager you need to have self belief that you will succeed. Not to mention, in term of player personnel it is a very good time as he can build a team he wants as Klopp legacy players eventually move on if not next summer, then the summer after.

Wanting to craft your own legacy instead of cleaning up after someone else's, as a lack of ambition; is certainly an interesting take.

Not saying Alonso is a lock to stay or chose Bayern, just find some of these comments to be odd.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bringer of Jollity

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I don't think it's a layup he takes Liverpool over Bayern. Bayern there's arguably a greater chance of success both in CL / Bundesliga. The Liverpool side might be setup, but Bayern will back him and likely promise him a decent amount of time to get there.

Liverpool would as well... but there's more teams gunning for the same.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
it makes sense.

But I don't know. if Bayern came in and offered a truck of money and time, it might be his choice. I really don't know if everyone is jumping at the chance to replace Klopp. There's a lot of changes that are coming for the football club and it might be difficult. If you're replacing Tuchel, players are at least happy to see him go from some accounts.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bayern is in such a volatile state at the moment. Freund and Eberl are definitely a different style than Kahn and Brazzo were, but it would still be hard to look at the short leash given to Nagelsmann and Tuchel both and want to jump into that as the next move. I think it's just such a tough move optically as well--possibly finally bringing Leverkusen a league title, then instantly jumping over to the big bad in the league before even taking the B04 team out of a CL run (oh yeah, and taking Wirtz the year after). I think Bayern somehow go back to Nagelsmann after the Euros and if Xabi doesn't go to LFC then it's because he wants to build a bit more at Leverkusen (and then probably wind up in Madrid because of the timing).

Reactions: maclean

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Bayern is in such a volatile state at the moment. Freund and Eberl are definitely a different style than Kahn and Brazzo were, but it would still be hard to look at the short leash given to Nagelsmann and Tuchel both and want to jump into that as the next move. I think it's just such a tough move optically as well--possibly finally bringing Leverkusen a league title, then instantly jumping over to the big bad in the league before even taking the B04 team out of a CL run (oh yeah, and taking Wirtz the year after). I think Bayern somehow go back to Nagelsmann after the Euros and if Xabi doesn't go to LFC then it's because he wants to build a bit more at Leverkusen (and then probably wind up in Madrid because of the timing).

Don't you put that evil out there.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
They're in a difficult state. But if anything that might be a plus. He could command much more time, support and backing than he would normally get. Supporters and the players likely have a motivation to see him come good and have time, where at Liverpool, I think the supporters will be behind Xabi, but players might not see his methods as better, having been Klopp's team.

It's a half and half, 6/12ths kind of thing for me. But I think there's also a draw in that Xabi knows the Bundesliga from being there now.

I don't know if he's set on either move (LFC or Bayern), but I do think at some point he might have to take a gamble. The shine can come off pretty quickly.

Reactions: Spring in Fialta

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad