Managerial Thread - 23/24 Season - Lolverpool

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
I thought they were both this morning.
I am almost certain that I read last night before bed (and not when I woke this morning) that he was being sacked today and replaced with Glasner.

But either way, the sacking was coming. Every story has framed as sacking. Being sick during training and missing a press conference is just poor timing.

Sep 19, 2008

As expected, Klinsmann is sacked.

Never adapted to Korea, never recruited K-League, never wanted to live in Korea and insisted on living in California. His start was kind of iffy but they made it to the Asia Cup semis before the embarrassing loss to Jordan.

Korea was notoriously cheap so I'm surprised they paid the buyout to rid themselves of him. But general consensus in Korea was they were not happy with his work. Gamst was already looking for replacements a few days ago

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007

Never adapted to Korea, never recruited K-League, never wanted to live in Korea and insisted on living in California. His start was kind of iffy but they made it to the Asia Cup semis before the embarrassing loss to Jordan.

Korea was notoriously cheap so I'm surprised they paid the buyout to rid themselves of him. But general consensus in Korea was they were not happy with his work. Gamst was already looking for replacements a few days ago

From an outside observer (watched a lot of their matches - but followed nothing news wise on them) everything looked so copacetic with him at the matches. Other managers be freaking out and he was always so calm and seemed to have the SK football machine working decent... their pace and pressure was pretty wild in the asian cup. They doomed themselves in the asian cup, didn't look at all like a coaching/managing thing.
Kind of surprised by the news. I always wondered, is he not yelling at his players because he can't speak korean? Does he speak Korean? Was always curious.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
So, sounds like Liverpool might face some competition from Bayern for Alonso.

Saw some reports say Tuchel is not yet being fired...

I would personally (and selflessly) prefer to see Xabi try out the CL with Leverkusen, but you have to figure he would choose Liverpool over Bayern if it came down to that.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Calzona the new Napoli manager, he is currently the Slovakian national team coach and will remain for the Euros so double duty for him

maclean

Jan 4, 2014

Ha, it just makes more sense to me I suppose, perhaps hard to quantify. It's a huge opportunity to continue with a legacy on the "main stage" and build on a strong base. I guess Bayern presents the challenge of pulling the team out of a bit of a coach-killing tailspin, but if he were to stay in the Bundesliga, it makes more sense to me for him to stick with Leverkusen for another season, but I'm just judging off myself I guess. From an Arsenal perspective I'd definitely rather he'd stay in Germany.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
The perfect end to this story would be if after losing the league to Vizekusen, Tuchel won the CL, forcing the Bayern bosses to offer him a raise to stay and continue burning them to the ground from within :laugh:

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Yea, the process of hiring Tuchel set the tone there. Easy to focus on him as the problem, but there are serious problems in that club from top to bottom right now.

On the other hand, simply not having Xabi at Leverkusen might be enough for them to rise back to the top.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
They picked up Harry Kane. Of course they were going to struggle to win trophies.

The greatest part for the rest of us is that both eventualities are equally hilarious - him not being able to win a trophy even on a super team? Gold. OR, he finally DOES win a trophy by not being on Tottenham - just as great really.

Reactions: hatterson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad