Speculation: Management Trending in Wrong Direction?

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
So sad that Mats is bitter on Rangers management, after being a member of this organization for nine years. And it wasn't the trade itself, he said he had a feeling it was coming for a long time. But it was the way it was done.

The tribute tonight was amazing, and the wonderful fans. I'm sure it's something he'll never forget.

Reactions: CasusBelli

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
It sucks to happen to a player that seems loyal and dedicated to the franchise in particular, but the fact is they have to be opaque about guys moving because the trade can fall apart, the market can change if someone new is suddenly available or guys get injured around the league. You can't tell a guy a trade is coming and then have it fall through and end up with a pissed off player and no trade. I'd be very surprised to hear of any franchise treating any player like that. It's not just NYR and not just Zucc.

Having said all of that, it was nice to see the tribute last night and to see the fans show their appreciation for him. Good guy, great Ranger.

Deleted member 23124

When you put it like that then, yeah, that would suck. I guess it's tough no matter how you look at it. Just thought Zucc would've had a better treatment since he's played a near decade with the Rangers.
His treatment was no different from that of Ranger greats Giacomin, Park, or Ratelle.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
It's fine for management to shut out a player they have decided to move on from. And it's fine for that player to be upset about it. Basically, the answer to this thread is no.

Last edited:

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

Strange he'd say this if it happened with Zuccarello. My guess is that Kreider understands how open they can possibly be and isn't upset over what's not possible.

“I’ve got to give credit to management, to JD and [GM Jeff Gorton] and [assistant GM Chris Drury] and Quinney for the way they’ve gone about communicating with me and treating me,” Kreider said. “I’ve heard horror stories about what can happen with guys in this situation, they can get frozen out or whatever. Not here.

Either way, this could also be a change under JD's leadership, but it doesn't really sound that way. If we're going to parse one sentence on this topic, that is.

Reactions: haveandare

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens
So this thread starts up yesterday and 1 day later we get this article with Kreider praising management's openness.. is anybody else's tinfoil hat tingling?

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens
They simply asked him a question

...are you sure? Maybe they told Chris to say this to quiet down all the online chatter about "Management Trending in Wrong Direction".

Just like that fake video they made of him jumping out of the pool in order to get us all excited. Stay woke, friend.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
What did Hyman Roth tell Michael Corleone in the hotel room in Cuba?

"We are bigger than US Steele".

No. The other thing.

"This is the business we have chosen".

Business is the key word. The NHL is big business.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I guess, but why drag on with him? He practically took two home-town discount contracts to stick around. Just never seemed fair to him. Was NYR ever really invested in him? Those are questions will probably never get answered. It makes ya think, you know?

Ultimately, Zucc is no more special than any other decent player in NYR history.

He has not earned nor does he deserve any treatment from FO than any other decent player for this org.

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
If Brian Leetch can be traded without being spoken to, anyone can. It's a business with a salary cap.

Thats the crux right there.

League wants a cap.
Players want to push salaries every single UFA season.

With that formula, boo friggin hoo, both can go cry in their cash stack. It's the fans who suffer in the end.

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
I worked for my company a LOT longer than Zucc worked for the Rangers. Then the corporation went in a different direction and my department wasn't needed any longer. At least Zucc got a video tribute.

And when he hangs up the skates he'll always have a place with the Rangers alumni.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
hqdefault.jpg

Trend? More like the status quo

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I would say overall mgmt. generally earns a high grade for being a classy org incl. how players are treated.

The treatment/love shown may not be = across the board, but in most cases it is sufficient enuf at min.

My main concern w/mgmt. is when/how they do/do not play hardball adequately too much/not enuf w/dif players. Each situation is different.

Reactions: Kupo

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Eh, could end up in the media like you said. I think it’s probably better to just realize the player has an understanding and leave it at that even if it seems a bit cold.

Player may get angry with organization when hearing it causing an argument and more bad feelings.

Player might say - **** it, they’re moving me anyway and say “I’m going to Boston or Chicago or I’m not reporting.” Affecting team leverage.

I think there are a few ways to go about it and none are foolproof. I don’t fault the Rangers here.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
I like Zucc, but this whole mopey, emo **** was played out last season. The fact that it’s coming up again is just so off-putting - especially from a 32 year old grown ass man.

Seriously and I loved the guy on the team, but it got old. Someone should and probably did - sit him down and tell him best possible numbers, best possible relationships, are best possible for you.

Would he have been more respected with a major lowball offer from management?

He knew he was going all year. Keep a smile on your face, play hard for your next deal, and leave on a great note. You never know what the future may bring during your playing career or post playing career.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
So this thread starts up yesterday and 1 day later we get this article with Kreider praising management's openness.. is anybody else's tinfoil hat tingling?

Not at all, MSG is very media savvy. They know the bloggers get their talking points and content from here.... not exclusively but this is a place where the talk on here spreads.

If you want an example: The group think conversation here was about getting Makar for Hayes last year. It was a nonsensical proposal from anyone that truly knows the game of hockey. Any legitimate hockey guy or gal would laugh that one off.

But you had post after post about it here. You had Brooksie write about it, you had bloggers repeat it.

Why? Because they, like MSG realize that many social media/blogger/writer's influence drive the topics of conversation. On these boards you've got some very astute hockey minds, and well connected posters. The content "creators" get content without much effort.

So it's not a tinfoil hat tingle at all. It's been happening for a while. MSG has done a great job of getting ahead of potential negative stories before that cycle repeatedly. It's pretty fun to watch. There was a cycle earlier with Tuomo Ruutu getting some press coverage for mentoring Kakko. This was after the blowback after Vitali went back. Did Kravstov get the same TLC as Kaapo in the AHL?

Last edited:
Reactions: William Moneylander

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad