Management Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
What was the story with that? Never heard it until it was referenced there.

There was a rumor that when Florida called to inquire about McCann and offered Gudbranson, Jim Benning allegedly said something to the effect of " well you probably want more then just McCann" and willingly offered up draft picks.

The panthers staff on the trade call were dumbfounded by this and couldn't agree fast enough.

At the time of the trade was when the "computer boys" had a lot of sway in hockey operations in Florida. Those computer boys who were also Canucks army alumni.

(If I have anything wrong with how this was rumored to have happened please correct me. )

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
https://theathletic.com/1781262/2020/04/29/canucks-fan-survey-results-vips-weigh-in-on-the-state-of-the-franchise

Key findings:

Canucks-Fan-Vote-Image-7-912x912.png

Canucks-Fan-Vote-Image-10-1-606x1024.png

Sigh.

Reactions: rypper

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Just so there's no confusion, that score of "1" for the cap crunch means "very non-confident," not the opposite.

It's just frustrating that the consensus is fans don't have faith in him to navigate the cap crunch, but somehow he gets an average (3) grade overall.

People are blinded by the shiny draft picks, an area that's debatable how much credit he should really share in, when an area he's solely responsible for, he's been a disaster in.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
lol at the > 50% number for assessment of professional scouting.

I think it fairly represents the recent acquisitions. Miller was a home run. Pearson has been as good as you can reasonably expect. Toffoli has fit in pretty well. Ferland and Benn have not worked out. Fantenberg and Myers get an average grade.

Reactions: Numba9

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Anyone else think the impact of Judd Brackett is getting a little overrated? As many of us have been saying for years, amateur scouting is a crapshoot. None of Judd Brackett, Jim Benning, John Weisbrod, Eric Crawford, etc. are savants, and all are capable of making good picks. Speaking of Crawford, people (including myself) were very much up in arms when he left. That turned out... fine?

I do think that Brackett deserves some credit for the hits we've seen over the past few years, but I'd attribute that much more to consistently picking in the top-10. As the team gets a bit better and starts moving into the 10-20 range of the draft through Pettersson and Hughes' primes, it is going to get worse, regardless of who is Director of Amateur Scouting.

If firing the guy with the most goodwill with the organization is Benning's final trump card, I'm all for it. Would much rather have a new GM come in ASAP to fix the pro scouting and cap situation which are much, much bigger issues than not having a guy who can maybe extract a good player in the latter half of the first round.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
People voted "3" for confidence level then voted "1" for Benning's ability to navigate the cap crunch

How does that even make sense. :laugh: So they have fairly good confidence in Benning but when you break it down, they don't.

I guess amateur scouting is truly the only thing saving his ass. Incredible.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Anyone else think the impact of Judd Brackett is getting a little overrated? As many of us have been saying for years, amateur scouting is a crapshoot. None of Judd Brackett, Jim Benning, John Weisbrod, Eric Crawford, etc. are savants, and all are capable of making good picks. Speaking of Crawford, people (including myself) were very much up in arms when he left. That turned out... fine?

I do think that Brackett deserves some credit for the hits we've seen over the past few years, but I'd attribute that much more to consistently picking in the top-10. As the team gets a bit better and starts moving into the 10-20 range of the draft through Pettersson and Hughes' primes, it is going to get worse, regardless of who is Director of Amateur Scouting.

If firing the guy with the most goodwill with the organization is Benning's final trump card, I'm all for it. Would much rather have a new GM come in ASAP to fix the pro scouting and cap situation which are much, much bigger issues than not having a guy who can maybe extract a good player in the latter half of the first round.

The main issue is that we don't know what picks Brackett was and was not responsible for.
Based on his background and work experience, you'd think he'd be more likely responsible for the US development prospects like Rathbone, Gaudette, Madden, Demko, Lockwood, McDonough, and likely Boeser/Hughes to a lesser extent (GM and AGMs seem to have more sway in 1st round picks). And then the rumours that he pushed for Pettersson as well. All of those picks are pretty damn good considering the odds of drafting NHL players at those draft positions.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
People voted "3" for confidence level then voted "1" for Benning's ability to navigate the cap crunch

How does that even make sense. :laugh: So they have fairly good confidence in Benning but when you break it down, they don't.

I guess amateur scouting is truly the only thing saving his ass. Incredible.
Where the heck is our owner in all this? Is he just going to let Bracket get away?

Reactions: PG Canuck

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017

Lots of fun tidbits coming out today.

Well Lawrence would've been completely wrong about Dorsett.. good call on Sbisa though but it didn't matter as Las Vegas took him off our hands pretty quickly.. a sign that maybe.. since a cup contending team decided to target Sbisa contract and all.. maybe it wasn't as big of a disaster as yall made it?

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Also, these leaks are always so one sided. How many times was Gilman or anyone else who got fired dead wrong about a player? That never gets leaked of course because Benning and Weisbrod are too classy to leak stuff to the media like this..

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009

Honestly I think it might be a product of the lack of success in almost all the other areas of management.

Funnily, I don't think I've ever seen Weisbrod as being credited with a good pick. Unless you count Jankowski?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad