Management Thread | Regular Season Edition

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
More a coaching post than management but there is no Tocchet/Coaching threads.

The Canucks need to change up their PP's Different players, different system.

PP1 one way and PP2 different if needed.

An idea;
For one I think Hughes is starting to carry the puck too much, maybe because he is trying to do too much? But other players start having to watch him too much rather than just for passes. Fixation IMO.

And teams are so used to Hughes being on the PP maybe they should put him on PP2 and allow him more liberty to be creative. The 2nd PP has more defensive minded players out there then too.

Creativity of coaching;
Change PP1 personal, and have a defenceman with a shot on the point, one timers.
PP1;
Miller, Pettersson, Lindholm/Mikheyev as net front
Myers and Zadorov on points, maybe even get Zadorov in front of the net.
Myers has a wicked slap shot, Zadorov does too but looks for wrist shots more. But the one timer from the point is missing from the Canuck PP, both of them but PP2 needs a little more forward skill/scoring.

PP2
Hughes - Hronek
Joshua/Lafferty/Garland/Boeser/Lindholm/Mikheyev?
? and Garland on the half wall.
Boeser/? net front
Hronek for one timers and Hughes all over the place, rover.

Maybe even try Soucy/Myers or Zadorov in front of the net. Joshua once he comes back was working there pretty well.
Put the biggest guys in front of the goalie it sure used to work for Chicago with Byfuglien and San Jose with Burns.

Shake it up

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
this team lacks players with a killer instinct mentality. besides miller nobody else on this team stands out. especially the top players. petterson is a ghost. boeser comes and goes.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
That's only cause we're carrying more players than we need to. Send Pod and/or Aman down and we could have brought Toffoli in with a broker deal. Now would New Jersey have bothered to wait on that? Who really knows.
We would still need to pay a 3rd party to get 75% retention. So if they look at him as a pure rental then the price was too much.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
Most of what the new regime has done I agree with. Obviously, there are mistakes they have made, like Mikheyev, cough cough. Despite the occasional misstep, they seem to have a clear idea about what needs to be done for them team. So I'm very much of the mindset to give them a pass for any stumbles the team has had this season.

Seriously, who of us expected the Canucks to be a top 5 team this season? Unexpected as it is, I feel like management has had to adapt on the fly to this reality. Could they go all the way? Knowing that's a possibility has surely shaped the decisions Allvin et al have made so far.

Reactions: andora and mdobbs

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
Looks fine to me?

So RJ will still be GM of Abby while being AGM of the big club? Seems like a lot..

I think that's how it was under Gillis, the GM roles of the AHL team fell under the job responsibilities of the AGM of Hockey Operations.

And the AGM of Player Personnel was contract negotiations / cap guru.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
I have heard dozens and dozens of so-called experts describe the skills and weakness of prospects and players over the years, none are better than Higgins in his assessments.

He knows his stuff.

So this will come in handy in his future media hits between Cave-On Foods commercials...

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
That's a very strange transition lol.

Perhaps he himself doesn't want to be on the hockey side anymore?

I can't imagine they would "demote" him in this way.
Where did Chris Higgins' brother go? He was posting on this forum before. Would be interesting to get the reasoning from him.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
That’s a big step down for Higgins. Probably making room for a Sedins promotion.

Hopefully Higgins is on board. A lot of ex-hockey players try getting back into the game not knowing what they want to do. Maybe he doesn't want to make the trek out to Abbotsford.

I think that's how it was under Gillis, the GM roles of the AHL team fell under the job responsibilities of the AGM of Hockey Operations.

Pat Conacher was the GM of the Comets under Gillis.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad