Continue here.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Which management team were you a big fan of?

I liked most of what Gillis was doing going into that 2011 season. But for a team that has never won a Cup, do you really expect anyone to be happy with management?

And are you seriously trying to defend Benning? He's easily the worst GM in team history. I hated Dave Nonis, but even he was an upgrade on this dimwit.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
I liked most of what Gillis was doing going into that 2011 season. But for a team that has never won a Cup, do you really expect anyone to be happy with management?

And are you seriously trying to defend Benning? He's easily the worst GM in team history. I hated Dave Nonis, but even he was an upgrade on this dimwit.

So... Which GM have you been a fan of? None of them?

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
So... Which GM have you been a fan of? None of them?

I answered your question. What more do you want?

Our other GM's at least did things that I could point to as positives, but overall none of them have done a good enough job. Mediocrity isn't good enough for me. For some, perhaps that's good enough. Wouldn't surprise me given how many people praise Benning. But for me, someone who has watched this team closely for over 25 years, it is nowhere near good enough.

Reactions: Jack Burton

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
I answered your question. What more do you want?

Our other GM's at least did things that I could point to as positives, but overall none of them have done a good enough job.

Just wanted clarity. Had you just said no, there isn't a Canuck GM I have ever been a fan of it would have been more clear. Now it's clear.

You're watching one of the most exciting seasons in franchise history, with elite talents at virtually every position, and you can't look at this team and see any positives?

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Just wanted clarity. Had you just said no, there isn't a Canuck GM I have ever been a fan of it would have been more clear. Now it's clear.

You're watching one of the most exciting seasons in franchise history, with elite talents at virtually every position, and you can't look at this team and see any positives?

The team has too much garbage on it for me to get into it. If you think this is one of the most exciting seasons in franchise history that tells me you probably haven't watched this team for that long.

CF% ranks 20th
xGF% ranks 24th

This team is benefiting from great goaltending, and being carried on the backs by a small handful of players. The bottom 6, and defense (minus Hughes) is pure garbage. And sadly, that garbage contributes to most of the team's salary cap. They are also benefiting from a weak division and weak western conference. If the Canucks were in the East they aren't even in a playoff spot. Exciting my ass.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
If you think this is one of the most exciting seasons in franchise history that tells me you probably haven't watched this team for that long.

This team is benefiting from great goaltending, and being carried on the backs by a small handful of players. The bottom 6, and defense (minus Hughes) is pure garbage.

When was the last time the team was this good, while being led by kids? In your lifetime, have you seen it? I'm 40, so I can recall a good 30+ years.

This team is getting more production from forward 4-12 this season than tey did in the best season, highest scoring team in franchise history, the '10-11 club.

Alex Edler and Chris Tanev are garbage too?

You're right on one thing, this team is benefitting from great goaltending. They are also benefitting from an elite 1st line, dangerous PP, solid secondary scoring and depth throughout the lineup.

Reactions: ddawg1950

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
When was the last time the team was this good, while being led by kids? In your lifetime, have you seen it? I'm 40, so I can recall a good 30+ years.

This team is getting more production from forward 4-12 this season than tey did in the best season, highest scoring team in franchise history, the '10-11 club.

You're right on one thing, this team is benefitting from great goaltending. They are also benefitting from an elite 1st line, dangerous PP, solid secondary scoring and depth throughout the lineup.

Newsflash: this team isn’t that good. I’ve given you some analytics but clearly that doesn’t matter to you, so I’ll just end the conversation here.

I can’t wait for the day Benning is fired.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore

I go back to the championship teams of the late sixties, even before that really, and I can't remember a Canucks team ever being led by 20 and 21 year old kids that were this good. It hasn't happened before and it's damned exciting...

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
I go back to the championship teams of the late sixties, even before that really, and I can't remember a Canucks team ever being led by 20 and 21 year old kids that were this good. It's damned exciting...

Yeah, there have obviously been better team's in franchise history, but not one led by kids. Nothing more exciting than watching the emergence of a new core; a core consisting of players that can take decades to find. Or in Quinn Hughes case, 5 decades.

If you're not having fun this year, you won't enjoy watching Canuck hockey ever again.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Yeah, there have obviously been better team's in franchise history, but not one led by kids. Nothing more exciting than watching the emergence of a new core; a core consisting of players that can take decades to find. Or in Quinn Hughes case, 5 decades.

If you're not having fun this year, you won't enjoy watching Canuck hockey ever again.

If it weren’t for Markstrom, who isn’t a kid, this team isn’t even in a playoff spot in a weak western conference.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
If it weren’t for Markstrom, who isn’t a kid, this team isn’t even in a playoff spot in a weak western conference.

Possibly.

Or possibly Thatcher Demko would have taken the ball and ran with it if given the starter’s role. The team has played at a 106 point pace with him between the pipes this year.

In this hypothetical scenario where we remove the team MVP and insert Demko, are we competing for a playoff spot with other teams, minus their MVP too? Is this hypothetical scenario a level playing field?

ddawg1950

Jul 2, 2010
Pender Island, BC Palm Desert, CA
Hoghandler is right though. If you can't have fun watching this team, watching them develop, watching them produce, then it appears doubtful that you will enjoy the Canucks ever again.

Seems like a waste of time for you.

Reactions: PuckFather

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
I’ve given you some analytics but clearly that doesn’t matter to you, so I’ll just end the conversation here.

Yeah, you also ‘gave me analytics’ before the season started, when you predicted this was an 80 point team, or in the ‘70’s.

Didn’t stop me from letting you set the over/under to bet on where this club finishes this season. You set the number, then wouldn’t follow through and place your wager.

I predicted a 95 point team if they were fortunate with injuries. Your Analytics be damned.

Reactions: Nomobo

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Possibly.

Or possibly Thatcher Demko would have taken the ball and ran with it if given the starter’s role. The team has played at a 106 point pace with him between the pipes this year.

In this hypothetical scenario where we remove the team MVP and insert Demko, are we competing for a playoff spot with other teams, minus their MVP too? Is this hypothetical scenario a level playing field?
This is shaping up to possibly resemble what happened back in '82 if things break the right way for us. The division was weak and Richard Broduer was red hot.

Reactions: I am toxic

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Hoghandler is right though. If you can't have fun watching this team, watching them develop, watching them produce, then it appears doubtful that you will enjoy the Canucks ever again.

Seems like a waste of time for you.

This team is getting absolutely shit kicked by Chicago, but are being bailed out by the goalie Gillis brought in. But sure, you guys keep acting like this is a good team. :laugh:

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Newsflash: this team isn’t that good. I’ve given you some analytics but clearly that doesn’t matter to you, so I’ll just end the conversation here.

I can’t wait for the day Benning is fired.
Let me get this straight: you want Jim Benning, the general manager of the Vancouver Canucks, fired?

Reactions: Diamonddog01

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
I really like being told how it's the fans that have been the problem with this team and how Jim Benning won't get fired and this team won't tank.

I really like being told all of that.

It gives me the warm and fuzzies.

Reactions: Jack Burton

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

How does your rhetoric align with this:

Hoghandler said:
Who said anything about Benning doing a good job? I sure as hell didn't. He has made more mistakes than I can count.
Benning is the worst general manager in the history of pro sports. Maybe even the worst manager in the history of any organisation...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad