Management Thread | Inconceivable Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
What do you mean better deal? I think it’s a better strategy. It might cost this current teams cap space in the short term because of previous bad spending but I think taking 22-30 is better for the team.

I don’t think the leafs deals would’ve been nearly as egregious if they bought 8 years.
whats the point of 8 yrs then?. 23-30yr olds signed. UFA at 30 looking for the legacy contracts after being the best Canucks of all time at their positions. This is highly likely and an awful position to be in if you ask me.

Would much prefer the Barzal deal with a 7 or 8 at the end of that going to 33/34

The answer doesn't have anything to do with previous bad spending

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
So you're not sure, at this point, if Petey and Hughes are worth committing long-term and big money to? For what it's worth, I don't completely disagree with you, but if that's the case, our future looks very uncertain then. All of the hopes and dreams of this franchise were basically pinned to these two and now we're not sure if they're even worthy of such a status.

Also what was the plan if Ferland was medically cleared to play somehow this year?

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
So you're not sure, at this point, if Petey and Hughes are worth committing long-term and big money to? For what it's worth, I don't completely disagree with you, but if that's the case, our future looks very uncertain then. All of the hopes and dreams of this franchise were basically pinned to these two and now we're not sure if they're even worthy of such a status.
it's not about worthiness? It's about risk. It's not being disrespectful to manage money more short term given recent developments. It's prudent

What contract would you use an example for a template of what you would like to see?

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Absolutely. It's still salvageable to rescue some of the window for this core if they boot this management group and get someone in here who can make good decisions.

Thankfully 'TOFFOLI SCORED 5 GOALS AND MARKSTROM SHUT US OUT!' seems to be the thing that has finally resonated with the casuals to make them realize that Benning is an absolute pillock.
We can only hope.

But if every other random goalie shuts us out and we get lit up by a bunch of other teams it will all be for naught...

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
whats the point of 8 yrs then?. 23-30yr olds signed. UFA at 30 looking for the legacy contracts after being the best Canucks of all time at their positions. This is highly likely and an awful position to be in if you ask me.

Would much prefer the Barzal deal with a 7 or 8 at the end of that going to 33/34

The answer doesn't have anything to do with previous bad spending
But you just said you’re not sure if they’re good but then you’re also saying they’ll want legacy deals?

If your team hasn’t won or isn’t looking like a contender why must you return them?

Besides my post clearly stated that this would be my ideal strategy. You’re clearly coming from the position of scepticism because the alternative isn’t affordable currently due to Benning’s previous work to date

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
But you just said you’re not sure if they’re good but then you’re also saying they’ll want legacy deals?

If your team hasn’t won or isn’t looking like a contender why must you return them?

Besides my post clearly stated that this would be my ideal strategy. You’re clearly coming from the position of scepticism because the alternative isn’t affordable currently due to Benning’s previous work to date
Nope you are turning this in a direction it doesn't have to go?

Remove Benning for a minute and explain to me why you want 8 yr deals and why that would be advantageous?

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
it's not about worthiness? It's about risk. It's not being disrespectful to manage money more short term given recent developments. It's prudent

What contract would you use an example for a template of what you would like to see?

I already said I don't disagree with you regarding their contract statuses. I'm just saying that if we can't hitch our wagons to these two, of all players, maybe our long-term outlook isn't as rosy as some would like to indicate (Not directed at you specifically).

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I already said I don't disagree with you regarding their contract statuses. I'm just saying that if we can't hitch our wagons to these two, of all players, maybe our long-term outlook isn't as rosy as some would like to indicate (Not directed at you specifically).
For the record i believe both will eventually be the best at both their positions we have ever had if they stay healthy and that's saying something given Henrik's career but it's impossible to ignore how small skinny and fragile they both are.

A blown ACL or back injury could derail things. And what do we stand to lose by bridging. why is it a given the competitive window is after Horvat Boeser and Millers deals are up vs after this year if you can free up money for a quality 3C and a Dman.

Im open to your ideas i just like the idea of saving in 2022 to 2025 given the aforementioned players ages and the uncertainty of post 2025

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Nope you are turning this in a direction it doesn't have to go?

Remove Benning for a minute and explain to me why you want 8 yr deals and why that would be advantageous?
The fixed cost. Gaining the players best years.

You’re projecting bad legacy deals at 30. I’m projecting flexibility at 30.

It appears you want flexibility for the next couple seasons as the legacy deals expire. I want fixed costs. I don’t think Vancouver is close to having a Colorado level club while the players are on a Bridge but say Pettersson elevates to Mackinnon level on that bridge, that’s going to be big money.

To me the cap flattening means the players might be more willing to go to 8 as well. I don’t think they would’ve pre pandemic.

Reactions: DS7 and Luckylarry

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
This is the team that the Jimbo fans deserve.

Sucks that everyone who saw this for 7 years now already knew it was going here. But some people need to see it to really believe it, because their ability to think critically isn't all there.

Sad. So sad. So frustrating that this management just continues to destroy this team and we're all hopeless to watch this shit unfold.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I can see an 8 year deal right out of an ELC as advantageous if you're banking on the player progressing exponentially.

Disregard his performance so far this year, but Pettersson is almost ppg in his career. (132 points in 139 games.) If you believe he has what it takes to take that from ppg to superstar levels, you'd want to lock him up now for less money longer term.

8 x 8m say. As opposed to 2-3 years from now when he's improved his game either exceeding ppg or hovering there with selke level two way play, major trophies etc. And you have to pay him 8 x 12m+.

Gives you more money in the now, to supplement the roster.

(I might be way off in the salary amount.)

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
The fixed cost. Gaining the players best years.

You’re projecting bad legacy deals at 30. I’m projecting flexibility at 30.

It appears you want flexibility for the next couple seasons as the legacy deals expire. I want fixed costs. I don’t think Vancouver is close to having a Colorado level club while the players are on a Bridge but say Pettersson elevates to Mackinnon level on that bridge, that’s going to be big money.

To me the cap flattening means the players might be more willing to go to 8 as well. I don’t think they would’ve pre pandemic.
ok fair.
while i disagree on the age of the closure of said deals i can get behind a fixed cost if it means the flat cap and uncertainty are accounted for and it's not both of them. Preference Petey for 8 and Hughes bridged

The problem with the fixed desire is i cant see how teams nor agents/players would want that as it stands. I fail to see any examples of it recently either

As far as Petey and Hughes specifically. Leaving out what they may want is it more important to free up money on bridge deals when Miller Boeser Horvat are 28 to 30....24 to 26.....26 to 28 so you can add or would you rather have more money when they are 31+ 27+ and 29+?

UFAs at 30 is not ideal if they are still extremely productive and end up with deals to 36/37.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
I miss when Weisbrod used to post on here
Wait, is this legit? When did that happen? Which poster was it?

Weisbrod in my view is the biggest snake and problem in the management group, the guy who knows how to play the game well enough to stick around despite being completely inept. I think Benning would have walked into a wall and been gone without him by now.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
There was rumour earlier this season that GMJB has the go-ahead from management to flush more draft picks down the drain in pursuit of something, I can't remember, oh ya they want to beat out the other 30 teams, most of whom are better than they are, for a Cup. The long standing rumour that FA is trying to do something special for his father before he passes, seems a logical explanation for some of the REACHES, GMJB has made for the past 7 years. Any other franchise would have gone for a real rebuild and accumulated draft choices but somehow, most years the NucKs trade their draft picks for no value in return.

(Check out the Calgary blueline for the asset they gave up to get Baertschi.)

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Wait, is this legit? When did that happen? Which poster was it?

Weisbrod in my view is the biggest snake and problem in the management group, the guy who knows how to play the game well enough to stick around despite being completely inept. I think Benning would have walked into a wall and been gone without him by now.

There was a time when Ronningmorrisonbooth slipped up talking about Weisbrod and said "I" instead of "he" or "John."

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
There was a time when Ronningmorrisonbooth slipped up talking about Weisbrod and said "I" instead of "he" or "John."
Do you believe the most likely explanation is that the poster is in fact John Weisbrod?

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
This is the team that the Jimbo fans deserve.

Sucks that everyone who saw this for 7 years now already knew it was going here. But some people need to see it to really believe it, because their ability to think critically isn't all there.

Sad. So sad. So frustrating that this management just continues to destroy this team and we're all hopeless to watch this shit unfold.

Yep. This is the team most Canucks fans deserve. The Benning tenure will result in a totally lost decade, erasing the prime of Horvat and much of Petey and Hughes' early career. We tried to warn you all.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
Why we are only 4-5 years away from contending :naughty::naughty::naughty:

Yep, this season and next season is a write-off because of COVID and umm, but Gillis. So realistic timeline for Benning to get this team back into contention is 2025, which is reasonable when you compare how other successful rebuilds happen.

Because I said so.

Reactions: bossram

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
Just remember: this is our "win now" mode. Benning trade our first last season. Our contention window is open and this is what it looks like.

Reactions: Peter10 and bossram
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad