Management Discussion Thread | Vin the Off-Season!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
It’s like people forget every thing before Bruce there it is.
Well why wouldn’t they? This is the real Canucks under Bruce there it is. Calgary is the fraud that just got the year and a third long new coach bump. Bruce there it revealed the real deal.

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
We have a botto 10 maybe bottom 5 prospect pool in the league.

Those players you list have to be replaced. From UFA that will not be cost effective.

Lekkerimäki replacing a top producer like Boeser / Garland next year is a pipe dream. Lets see him be an NHL player at some point first before we go there.

If we are drafting high enough to get impact players semi relably the next 3-4 years that means we are not in the playoffs.

Not worth responding to.. Make an actual case for your point of view.

Even the scouts most excited about Lekkerimaki were thinking he was 3/4 years away from the NHL, let alone being a top-line contributor. He's a high end talent but with a lot to work on.

well I can see your problem, too caught up in your own point of view to "bother responding". I get it that you're crushingly disappointed that the team didn't go in the direction you seem to so desperately cling to, dumping salary and amassing draft picks and prospects. Maybe go cheer for the Coyotes?

your assertion that Lekkermaki isn't ready to replace Boeser or garland .. no kidding. You're making assinine assertions just to buttress your point of view / opinion. I feel sorry for you, its too bad that you can't see the changes for the good that have been happening, only to wallow in a negative mindset the cap space and prospects are preferable to an enjoyable team game that is fun to watch. Lots of ways to get to the promised land - and you don't have the only answer no matter what your number crunching capology arm chair GM'ing will ever provide.

I wasn't in favour of signing Miller and have been disappointed by the off-season, but I still have confidence in management and am hopeful. Getting Kuzmenko was a good sign, Lekkerimaki was a promising if not immediate asset, I don't necessarily fault them for not being able to trade Miller given that the market seems to be bad and the contract as is isn't bad value, Boeser I think can either live up to his contract or can likely be traded (or Garland) to make cap room, so I'm more glass half full.

But everything Punchmunchkin said is accurate and fair, through no fault of our current management our prospect pipeline is pretty pathetic when you compare it to the league and our depth and balance as a team is no where near contender status. I'm a fan of current management and expect they're not done and will turn the team around in due time, but to ignore the horrible starting point we're in is pretty blind.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Makar wasn’t on his elc when they won the cup last season. He like Hughes burned a year when he came from the ncaa and joined the Avs.

Been a dozen years since both Chicago and Pitt Won with key contributors on elc in Toews and Kane in their final elc year and Pitt with Malkin in his final year. But chicago had the likes of Keith, Seabrook, Sharp, Ladd, Buff etc on board when those 2 arrived. Plus they had lottery luck with Kane because if they didn’t I don’t think they are winning if you swap Gagner in for Kane. (That point that the Oilers gained in that Stefan empty net gaff). Same 71 points as the Hawks but more wins thus slotted a pick later. Don’t get that point and have more wins than Washington and thus they hold pick 5.

To win you need the majority of your players to play up to their cap hits and for those who don’t like the Avs with EJ and Compher you need others to play over and above their cap hits to make up the difference.

The thing I find interesting about Colorado's team building is that the refuse to spend money on a goaltender. It's like they have an internal cap on what to pay a goalie, and they won't go over it. They'd rather spend the money on their D-core. It's an interesting strategy.

I guess they believe in a goalie that can get hot. I'm kind of partial to this strategy, you can always find a goalie that gets hot for a year or two but than the shooters figure them out.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
The thing I find interesting about Colorado's team building is that the refuse to spend money on a goaltender. It's like they have an internal cap on what to pay a goalie, and they won't go over it. They'd rather spend the money on their D-core. It's an interesting strategy.

I guess they believe in a goalie that can get hot. I'm kind of partial to this strategy, you can always find a goalie that gets hot for a year or two but than the shooters figure them out.

With that D-core, it just makes sense.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
How do you miss the point so hard. Is it on purpose?

Cup Contention ->

<- The direction they are taking the team
My reading is that @Metalwood gave the answer in one of his other posts, describing how he wants to cheer for the team to win in the present. He isn't thinking long term, he's being a fan all the time and cheering to win every game.

He's obviously intelligent enough to think ahead, but it isn't his way of reacting to the team as a fan. He wants to cheer for wins now and in the statement he quoted about going from mediocrity to Cup in one season seems to be transferring his way or reacting to the team to those of us who would rather plan for the future when the present isn't what we want it to be.

Then again, maybe I've completely missed his thought process.

Reactions: Metalwood

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
My reading is that @Metalwood gave the answer in one of his other posts, describing how he wants to cheer for the team to win in the present. He isn't thinking long term, he's being a fan all the time and cheering to win every game.

He's obviously intelligent enough to think ahead, but it isn't his way of reacting to the team as a fan. He wants to cheer for wins now and in the statement he quoted about going from mediocrity to Cup in one season seems to be transferring his way or reacting to the team to those of us who would rather plan for the future when the present isn't what we want it to be.

There hasn't been a single poster here (who are in favour of stepping back 2 years/rebuild etc) that has put forward a coherent plan/argument, that would all but guarantee we'd be in better shape in 2 years, than we are now.

The organization thought long and hard, coming to the conclusion that the best route.... is to try and improve on the current core group.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Then again, he got Garland for 3 negative asset players.
If there was an award for Biggest Misrepresentation of a Trade on this board this would win my nomination.

That trade can be accurately (though not entirely fairly) described as taking on six contract years of negative value (OEL for six years) and Garland in exchange for three contract years of negative value (1 year each of Eriksson, Beagle and Roussel) & and 1st, 2nd and 7th round draft picks.

Of course, the amount of negative value in a contract year varies from year to year and player to player. For example, in 2021 OEL's play was merely worth a couple of million less than his cap hit to the Canucks while Loui Eriksson's cap hit exceeded the value of his play by about $5 million in 2021-2022.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
well I can see your problem, too caught up in your own point of view to "bother responding". I get it that you're crushingly disappointed that the team didn't go in the direction you seem to so desperately cling to, dumping salary and amassing draft picks and prospects. Maybe go cheer for the Coyotes?

your assertion that Lekkermaki isn't ready to replace Boeser or garland .. no kidding. You're making assinine assertions just to buttress your point of view / opinion. I feel sorry for you, its too bad that you can't see the changes for the good that have been happening, only to wallow in a negative mindset the cap space and prospects are preferable to an enjoyable team game that is fun to watch. Lots of ways to get to the promised land - and you don't have the only answer no matter what your number crunching capology arm chair GM'ing will ever provide.
Make an actual case. Something I can respond to.

That is absolutely his right.
But if that is his choice why does he feel the need to attack people who want to keep their eye on the real price?

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
But everything Punchmunchkin said is accurate and fair, through no fault of our current management our prospect pipeline is pretty pathetic when you compare it to the league and our depth and balance as a team is no where near contender status. I'm a fan of current management and expect they're not done and will turn the team around in due time, but to ignore the horrible starting point we're in is pretty blind.
Yeah.

I'm judging them based on what they have accomplished so far and the overall strategy they have implemented. The execution is night and day better than the previous regime, but the strategy seems to be more or less the same.

The sample size for what they are doing is tiny, so I will quickly adjust my view on them if they do more what I deem to be good shit. So I am forming my opinion, but it is not set at all.

We will figure out the cap next summer.” - Jim Rutherford

This is a line so stupid from our GM I thought I was back in the summer of 2021...

Reactions: MarkMM

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Yeah.

I'm judging them based on what they have accomplished so far and the overall strategy they have implemented. The execution is night and day better than the previous regime, but the strategy seems to be more or less the same.

The sample size for what they are doing is tiny, so I will quickly adjust my view on them if they do more what I deem to be good shit. So I am forming my opinion, but it is not set at all.

We will figure out the cap next summer.” - Jim Rutherford

This is a line so stupid from our GM I thought I was back in the summer of 2021...
Maybe JR knows that the landscape (cap) is going to be different in the next few years..?
Might not be as stupid as you think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad