Management Discussion Thread | Vin the Off-Season!

Status
Not open for further replies.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
I really thought and hoped there would be more player action.

The team is getting really top heavy.

While signing Boeser adds asset value to him, he has not been the type of player they have stated they want, age group yes but not "quick"

The media rumour guys have hinted once or twice that Vancouver may be the star of the ball in Montreal.

A few more days yet, should start to heat up Monday

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I really thought and hoped there would be more player action.

The team is getting really top heavy.

While signing Boeser adds asset value to him, he has not been the type of player they have stated they want, age group yes but not "quick"

The media rumour guys have hinted once or twice that Vancouver may be the star of the ball in Montreal.

A few more days yet, should start to heat up Monday

People keep saying this, but we are barely what a week into the off-season? I think people need patience. Let’s see what the team looks like in September or at least August.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
People keep saying this, but we are barely what a week into the off-season? I think people need patience. Let’s see what the team looks like in September or at least August.
All those years under Benning were like twisting an elastic band up and the firing was a release.
Lot and lots of front office news and very contrary news from different folks up there.

When JR was hired and his first interview I got stoked that there would be real change, a restart to building a great team.
It IS early but years of frustration are causing some undue impatience.

I KNOW this is now a 3 or 4 year plan but I just want to see it really start, not just in the front office but I don't want to see just a new coat of paint and the same product and have it called new.

IMO as long as these same players are here it is just status quo, there was/is no where there could be enough growth to make this group Cup Contenders

I thought the cap would be addressed, so far NOT, youth would be sought, so far NOT if anything older so far (one signing so "meh" really), "trader Jim" likes to get out front early and often, NOT (so far)

I just makes it more "exciting" awaiting the anticipated moves, stressful too.

Too many years of outright lies from the top have created some doubt about what the mob is being told.

There are old sayings that seem to have some truth behind them

"Too many chefs spoil the soup/broth/meal" and a re-worded one "Too many bosses and not enough workers"

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I have no idea how the Bolts do it every spring. They just unloaded Ryan McDonough's bloated contract and actually got some assets back from Nashville. And from I read, no retention.

Makes me think there's a chance the Canucks could actually find a new home for Tyler Myers. He's younger than McDonough and his contract now has only two more seasons to run.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
When JR was hired and his first interview I got stoked that there would be real change, a restart to building a great team.
It IS early but years of frustration are causing some undue impatience.

I KNOW this is now a 3 or 4 year plan but I just want to see it really start, not just in the front office but I don't want to see just a new coat of paint and the same product and have it called new.

IMO as long as these same players are here it is just status quo, there was/is no where there could be enough growth to make this group Cup Contenders

I'd say if you set your expectations that high you're going to get disappointed. It's a 32 team league now, and only a small handful of teams sit at that lofty position through a combination of being good and being lucky. Fans are welcome to their own opinions but typically in reality from a business perspective of operating in this league a team on the verge of climbing into the 6-16 playoff team category isn't going to tear it down because they will unlikely get the opportunity to that top 5 Cup Contender peak.

That said for the lack of accomplishments this current group has you really can't discount the factor going from highly incompetent management to a to-be-seen level of competent management. Up until now every summer Jim Benning went into the summer to improve the team, but he was entering a poker game completely misreading the room and playing with his cards face out.

The type of improvement we should see next season pretty much could have been achieved at any point over the last 7 years or so, it only required an axe to drop. I am not intending to turn this into a Benning thread but as the new groups first off season it is highly relevant to contrast and compare.

Reactions: MarkMM

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I have no idea how the Bolts do it every spring. They just unloaded Ryan McDonough's bloated contract and actually got some assets back from Nashville. And from I read, no retention.

Makes me think there's a chance the Canucks could actually find a new home for Tyler Myers. He's younger than McDonough and his contract now has only two more seasons to run.

Edit. No signing bonus.

I wonder if they plan to flip him at some point during the year. Just a thought. Crazy thought would be back to Tampa and they do it all again.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby

I assume BriseBois modeled his negotiation style after Korben Dallas...
5th-element-negotiate-2.gif

Yzerman, on the other hand, would probably be like...
darth-vader-alter-the-deal.gif

Logical conclusion: negotiate against Tampa is probably like either being held at gunpoint or facing the prospect of being force choked.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
I'd say if you set your expectations that high you're going to get disappointed. It's a 32 team league now, and only a small handful of teams sit at that lofty position through a combination of being good and being lucky. Fans are welcome to their own opinions but typically in reality from a business perspective of operating in this league a team on the verge of climbing into the 6-16 playoff team category isn't going to tear it down because they will unlikely get the opportunity to that top 5 Cup Contender peak.

That said for the lack of accomplishments this current group has you really can't discount the factor going from highly incompetent management to a to-be-seen level of competent management. Up until now every summer Jim Benning went into the summer to improve the team, but he was entering a poker game completely misreading the room and playing with his cards face out.

The type of improvement we should see next season pretty much could have been achieved at any point over the last 7 years or so, it only required an axe to drop. I am not intending to turn this into a Benning thread but as the new groups first off season it is highly relevant to contrast and compare.
Oh I don't expect any instant success but after an obvious flawed job done by Benning for the last 8 years, years of knowing there was no chance at being good at all despite all the chatter. From the start Elmer had not scouted for 8 years but was the advertised as "THE" scouting guru, an assistant GM in Boston, well watching a few behind the scene's Boston videos put to rest his contributions, basically sit back and say nothing or just "yes" so no real hands on experience. In other words a lot of exaggerations about qualifications that he just never had.

My eagerness is in regards that this front office has management now, experienced management, with a plan.

It is purely impatience that time seems to drag out, like watching water come to a boil, just seems to take longer. Anticipation.

My dream, hope is that there is now a group running the show that want to win the cup, try to build a team that is set up to be good, really good for a decade or longer.

To do that they will need to dip down in the standings once or twice and pick smarter. Benning had the say on the first pick, but there was the Pettersson draft that cost the head scout his job.

It will be novel to have a management group make a selection that 70 to 80% of the public know is correct and not leave a question hanging in the air.

Miller, Garland, Pearson moved
Pearson does have a clause but he will move it to go to the west coast, Seattle, SJ, Ana or LA maybe even Arizona

Two days WHooooHOOOOOooo!

Last edited:

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
im going to be that guy and say they really need to get things right this next week.

seeing tampa get paul to that contract and getting out of mcdonagh makes me wonder how darche - who apparently blew their socks off in his interview - would fare.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
im going to be that guy and say they really need to get things right this next week.

seeing tampa get paul to that contract and getting out of mcdonagh makes me wonder how darche - who apparently blew their socks off in his interview - would fare.

Tampa management is able to shed contracts and problematic players whenever they damn want, it seems.

Again, this reinforces my suspicion that their entire management staff members are all either masters of Jedi mind tricks or force choke.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Tampa management is able to shed contracts and problematic players whenever they damn want, it seems.

Again, this reinforces my suspicion that their entire management staff members are all either masters of Jedi mind tricks or force choke.
Insane to compare what that management could do compared to our bozo who claimed he ran out of time and blamed covid and the f***ing schedule for shortcomings

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I think you can be a little more cutthroat when you have a winning pedigree like Tampa does.

Reactions: mriswith

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Dhaliwals bread and butter is talking with agents that’s where all his connections are and that’s how he got started in this industry so I trust him on contract matters and he says Horvat should be $7.5

Yuck
f***

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri

Other GMs love former cup winners. Why? Well they are often better players than the role they played on a cup winning team. Cup winning teams are good and loaded with talent. 4th liners are 3rd liners on many other teams etc. Not shocking Tampa is able to make these moves. Especially when you add GMs that have no idea when another team is in a cap crunch (or how to apply pressure) throughout the league.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Dhaliwals bread and butter is talking with agents that’s where all his connections are and that’s how he got started in this industry so I trust him on contract matters and he says Horvat should be $7.5

Yuck

He also made it sound like there's a lot of mutual interest so maybe it'll be a discount.

Well, it probably will be either way compared what he would get in UFA (just depends on how significant). If you listen to media/podcasts/fans/whatever of other teams, most consistently speak of Horvat as a guy they'd take on their team in a heartbeat whenever the Canucks come up in the conversation.

I'm not a huge fan of Bo myself; whether or not I keep him depends on kind of how the rest of the forward lineup is going to shake out. He hasn't yet committed himself to being the 2-way horse some may perceive him as, so if it ends up being our other 2 top-9 centers aren't matchup guys, I don't know if it's a good idea to keep him.

It's been way too long since we've had a center that can both contribute regular shifts & be counted on to play against the other team's best.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad