Speculation: Managament moves/changes

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Paul Fenton, come on down!

Why Fenton? When Kenny gets "promoted", i hope Wings signs Mark Hunter as a new GM. Dubas is next Leafs GM most likely, when Louie steps down. Im sure Hunter wants to be GM in the NHL some day, but if i understood right he doesnt wanna move far away from London and Detroit is pretty close...

Mark Hunter is proven winner, has experience and definitely leader with the capital L. And he seems to find good scouts, judging by the success he had with the Knights.

This current season. Just let Blashill run this team down and replace him after the season. Give Nelson a chance, 2 year deal doesnt hurt nobody. There's great d-man available at the draft. I dont believe that Wings have enough luck to get Dahlin, but Hughes, Wilde, Boqvist, Merkley, Smith, McIsaac are good picks. I hope Wings gets another first rounder, Hughes+Dobson would be just great.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
1-year "teardown" GM would be nice for next season. He could sell everybody for future assets and clean the table for Yzerman, who would start at 2018-19 season.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
1-year "teardown" GM would be nice for next season. He could sell everybody for future assets and clean the table for Yzerman, who would start at 2018-19 season.
If one guy can essentially clean up all of Holland's mess in a single year, he deserves more than an interim job.

I like Yzerman the GM, and he's my favorite player of all time, but I want a home run hire, whether he's a former legend, or an unknown from Siberia.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
If one guy can essentially clean up all of Holland's mess in a single year, he deserves more than an interim job.

I like Yzerman the GM, and he's my favorite player of all time, but I want a home run hire, whether he's a former legend, or an unknown from Siberia.

Yzerman is the home run. No one says no to Yzerman. No new home run coach, no new home run scout, no new home run UFA player, no any RFA getting a greedy extension. :)

He just has the reputation and commitment for winning.

I really hope Lightning will win the Cup this year, and Stevie's "practise job" is finally completed. Then he can leave without any regrets. When Kucherov will get his 11-12M extension, Tampa is very tough place for GM to operate. Success will eat the flexibility.

Detroit is then more a place for a builder like Yzerman is.

Dead Thing Fan

Jan 25, 2016

I stand to be corrected but I believe that Stevie Y is under contract with the Bolts through the 18-19 season. I suppose Holland could be signed for 1 more yr. until Yzerman would be possibley available. While I'm sure that Stevie still has a Winged Wheel tattoed on his heart, there is no guarantee that he would want to leave Tampa Bay.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
If we get Dahlin, we better have Holland fired. I don't want him to waste Dahlin's career.

To be fair, if there is one thing Holland has proven beyond reasonable doubt is how he can strengthen and rebuild a roster around a couple of Franchise players. And frankly the NHL has shown that if you have a couple of Franchise players in a 2-4 year period and a couple of other very good youngsters knocking around (Larkin/Mantha?) you can turn a franchise around very quickly.

If we fluked Dahlin and Hronek can be an NHL d-man, then we'd all be feeling a lot happier very quickly.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I stand to be corrected but I believe that Stevie Y is under contract with the Bolts through the 18-19 season. I suppose Holland could be signed for 1 more yr. until Yzerman would be possibley available. While I'm sure that Stevie still has a Winged Wheel tattoed on his heart, there is no guarantee that he would want to leave Tampa Bay.

Also the fact that Tampa is currently tied for 1st in the league.

If Yzerman leaves a team with Hedman, Kucherov, and Stamkos for Detroit, we will probably want to get his head checked out.

Reactions: TheMule93

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Also the fact that Tampa is currently tied for 1st in the league.

If Yzerman leaves a team with Hedman, Kucherov, and Stamkos for Detroit, we will probably want to get his head checked out.

Yzerman would be crazy to leave Tampa for Detroit
Who knows, maybe if they have a playoff failure and sink next year, he'd have reason to feel differently.
But right now?

Right now, he's the guy who can do no wrong in Detroit. Ask Joe Dumars how that went for him in Detroit - and Dumars even won a championship as executive before he was booed out of town.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Well, the odds of the guys becoming what you often hope or talk about are bad. That's more fact than opinion, given where we typically draft.

That said, I appreciate your optimism, and even though I generally disagree, a lot of your posts make me try and look at things from a different angle than I normally might. That is good for discussion, so keep on keeping on.

I also agree with you that we don't need a lot of pieces to turn things around (been very encouraged by Mantha +Larkin), but I do happen to think we need some big pieces still, or the ones that are hardest to find (#1 dman, for one). I think it might help to make a thread where people identify what we need, I'll try and make one in the near future.

They don't need a lot of pieces but the pieces they do need are the hardest to get: A #1 center and 2 top 2 D-men. Decent wingers, #4-6 d-men and middle 6 centers aren't exactly hard to find.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad