Speculation: Managament moves/changes

Dead Thing Fan

Jan 25, 2016
Not saying this will happen

1-Holland releaves Blash and he names Torchetti interim head coach,

2-Holland will remain in place as G.M. until end of season and then will step aside but will retain position as Executive V.P.. Mike Illich and Holland should begin G.M. search starting right away. Have no idea who it might be though it won't be Yzerman as he is signed through 18/19 in T.B.. Potential moves(from now to the TDL). include-
-Green to any team looking for help to either make or improve playoff seeding. WILL return at least a 2018 1st.
Nyquist: Has an NTC but I'm sure he would be open to a trade to a contender like the Islanders. As he more than just a pure rental(he is signed through 18-19) he too should get us at least a first(Calgary's 2018 1st.??)
Howard at TDL????
Tatar: more likely moved in off season(has a no trade claus that kicks in on July 1st 2018 so he would have to be moved around or by draft day). Would likely free up some cap space (depending on who we make take in return-would hope for a player making half his cap hit plus a prospect or pick)
Helm: Would he be open to a trade to his home province and legitimate playoff condender Winnipeg Jets??

3-New G.M. chosen hopefully within days of season's end who will then be in charge of draft day and July 1st free agency(although I don't think we should be looking at any UFA's until we re-sign our own important RFA's-Larkin/Mantha/AA/Frk and possibly Mrazek).

May the hockey gods look kindly upon our upcoming decisions.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
If I’m Ken Holland

-Fire Blashill within minutes. Any interim coach will do, until the offseason where real coaches will be available.

Trade Mrazek and Green for certain at the deadline or until first good offer comes. Mrazek probably has little value, but there’s no way he’s coming back next year anyways so even if it’s for a 4th it’s whatever.

Also field offers for any players not named Larkin or Mantha. Be willing to eat a bit of salary within reason. Waive Witkowski or Booth and bring up Tyler Bertuzzi. If there is a buyer for Helm as a playoff push, be willing to retain up to a million in salary for the next 3 years to make it happen.

LTIR Kronwall for good and ask Z what his plan is. If possible LTIR him too. We’re not going to be good again for the rest or his career, might as well start clearing space now.

Buyout Ericsson in offseason as it will only last a couple years now and more importantly clear roster space for one of our young guys.

Pray we win the lottery, and if we don’t, for for BPA. None of this character crap. If there’s an Elias Petterson on the board where we draft, you draft him before another Rasmussen.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
If I’m Ken Holland

-Fire Blashill within minutes. Any interim coach will do, until the offseason where real coaches will be available.

Trade Mrazek and Green for certain at the deadline or until first good offer comes. Mrazek probably has little value, but there’s no way he’s coming back next year anyways so even if it’s for a 4th it’s whatever.

Also field offers for any players not named Larkin or Mantha. Be willing to eat a bit of salary within reason. Waive Witkowski or Booth and bring up Tyler Bertuzzi. If there is a buyer for Helm as a playoff push, be willing to retain up to a million in salary for the next 3 years to make it happen.

LTIR Kronwall for good and ask Z what his plan is. If possible LTIR him too. We’re not going to be good again for the rest or his career, might as well start clearing space now.

Buyout Ericsson in offseason as it will only last a couple years now and more importantly clear roster space for one of our young guys.

Pray we win the lottery, and if we don’t, for for BPA. None of this character crap. If there’s an Elias Petterson on the board where we draft, you draft him before another Rasmussen.

LTIR Zetterberg? He has a history of back problems, but is he actually injured? Do you ask him to voluntarily go out to pasture or pressure him because we want to "clear space"? I'm not sure I'm seeing your reasoning for this move... Clearing salary cap? punishing him? Sending a message to others? Appease fans who see this as a sign of no-nonsense management who are willing to make changes?

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Team is a few PMDs and a coaching change away from looking pretty good.

Larkin/Mantha/Ras should be a good enough forward core. ’18 top 10D + Hronek/Cholo/VS/Hicketts could be good enough D. We are well on our way. Larkin playing like this eliminates a big point of concern about the future. Hronek and Cholo are having good years as well.

If Holland wants to step down, so be it. Let the new GM take care of the ”easy” part, reaping the benefits of high draft picks and ELC/RFA years. Would prefer to see Holland a few more years though as I doubt a new GM would have the patience required. Big risk he’d start trading prospects and picks to get quick results.

Inspiration

Jul 10, 2013

Larkin/Mantha/Ras should be a good enough forward core. ’18 top 10D + Hronek/Cholo/VS/Hicketts could be good enough D. We are well on our way. Larkin playing like this eliminates a big point of concern about the future. Hronek and Cholo are having good years as well.

Is this really true? Look at the top 3 forwards on every contending team and see how well Detroit's top 3 compare. I'm guessing not well. Larkin / Mantha / Rasmussen looks like the forward group of a lottery team.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Not saying this will happen

1-Holland releaves Blash and he names Torchetti interim head coach,

2-Holland will remain in place as G.M. until end of season and then will step aside but will retain position as Executive V.P.. Mike Illich and Holland should begin G.M. search starting right away. Have no idea who it might be though it won't be Yzerman as he is signed through 18/19 in T.B.. Potential moves(from now to the TDL). include-
-Green to any team looking for help to either make or improve playoff seeding. WILL return at least a 2018 1st.
Nyquist: Has an NTC but I'm sure he would be open to a trade to a contender like the Islanders. As he more than just a pure rental(he is signed through 18-19) he too should get us at least a first(Calgary's 2018 1st.??)
Howard at TDL????
Tatar: more likely moved in off season(has a no trade claus that kicks in on July 1st 2018 so he would have to be moved around or by draft day). Would likely free up some cap space (depending on who we make take in return-would hope for a player making half his cap hit plus a prospect or pick)
Helm: Would he be open to a trade to his home province and legitimate playoff condender Winnipeg Jets??

3-New G.M. chosen hopefully within days of season's end who will then be in charge of draft day and July 1st free agency(although I don't think we should be looking at any UFA's until we re-sign our own important RFA's-Larkin/Mantha/AA/Frk and possibly Mrazek).

May the hockey gods look kindly upon our upcoming decisions.

That is pretty freaky, if Mike Illitch finds us a new GM from beyond the grave!:neener:

Reactions: Reddwit

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014

If Holland wants to step down, so be it. Let the new GM take care of the ”easy” part, reaping the benefits of high draft picks and ELC/RFA years. Would prefer to see Holland a few more years though as I doubt a new GM would have the patience required. Big risk he’d start trading prospects and picks to get quick results.
We have absolutely ZERO idea whether Rasmussen, Hronek, or Cholo will be the next Hall of Famers, or the next waiver fodder, or anywhere in between. And with how the last decade of prospects have trended, particularly on defense, forgive me if I'm not holding my breath.

A more realistic guess might be that they're one good forward and one great defenseman away - supplementing the players you listed. Although by the time those guys are all regulars, Mrazek will be gone, and Howard will either be gone or on his way out, so add a goalie as well.

Reactions: avssuc

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
If Holland sticks with this coach, that implicitly demonstrates what he really thinks of the Wings' playoff chances. As such, not firing Blashill would be a positive sign in my book. The other sign of things to come is going to be what happens come TDL time. At a bare minimum Green needs to go, hopefully for another 1st rd pick.

Reactions: lomekian

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Full scale scorched Earth that goes from management down to every player that is 30 or older/and or due for a UFA contract within the next two years.

Holland has completely murdered the franchise to the point where there is no viable alternative approach.

Inspiration

Jul 10, 2013
If Holland sticks with this coach, that implicitly demonstrates what he really thinks of the Wings' playoff chances. As such, not firing Blashill would be a positive sign in my book. The other sign of things to come is going to be what happens come TDL time. At a bare minimum Green needs to go, hopefully for another 1st rd pick.
I agree. The primary reason to fire a coach mid-season is to try to shake up the team and improve short-term results. However, firing a coach is also expensive as a replacement must be hired or promoted while still paying the fired coach. To me, sticking with Blashill would be a tacit indication that the organization believes that this season can't be turned around and therefore isn't willing to throw money away in an attempt to do so.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan

Edmonton had Nugent Hopkins, Eberle, Hall and Gagner to go along with their abysmal defense and the Oilers were still horrendous.

The Wings have lesser forwards and an equally useless defense. You are kidding yourself if you seriously think this roster only needs a couple defenseman to be good.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI

Are we following the same organization? Serious question.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
We have absolutely ZERO idea whether Rasmussen, Hronek, or Cholo will be the next Hall of Famers, or the next waiver fodder, or anywhere in between. And with how the last decade of prospects have trended, particularly on defense, forgive me if I'm not holding my breath.

A more realistic guess might be that they're one good forward and one great defenseman away - supplementing the players you listed. Although by the time those guys are all regulars, Mrazek will be gone, and Howard will either be gone or on his way out, so add a goalie as well.
We've got *some* idea. We know, historically, what it takes in the leagues under the NHL to be a bonafide NHL star. We know, historically, what the odds are for a pick at X spot to turn into a bonafide NHL star.

The chances are not good.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Is this really true? Look at the top 3 forwards on every contending team and see how well Detroit's top 3 compare. I'm guessing not well. Larkin / Mantha / Rasmussen looks like the forward group of a lottery team.
Larkin and Mantha are showing PPG potential this year. I think we’re building a forward group comparable with at least what teams like Nashville/NYR/Ottawa, maybe even LA has had during runs. It’s not all about being the next Pittsburgh/Chicago, because tbh that’s impossible for us. Mantha needs to keep improving and Ras is obviously still just a prospects, but if our forward group is this good with arguably the worst D in the league any improvements to that D should help the forwards significantly.

Are we following the same organization? Serious question.
Yeah, but unlike most people here I’m able to actually lift my eyes to the future and see that despite our feet being planted in the mud right now there’s solid ground up ahead. Last summer people questioned me because I dared to be optimistic about Larkin and Mantha. Now I’m questioned for thinking we might start to see improvements to our D soon or that a coaching change could impact the entire team’s performance. I’m pretty used to it.
Optimism in any way, shape or form is clearly frowned upon here but it tends to be more accurate than the analysis that everything and everyone sucks and they’re all morons and nothing good can happen in the future.

Last edited:
Reactions: RedMenace

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Larkin and Mantha are showing PPG potential this year. I think we’re building a forward group comparable with at least what teams like Nashville/NYR/Ottawa, maybe even LA has had during runs. It’s not all about being the next Pittsburgh/Chicago, because tbh that’s impossible for us. Mantha needs to keep improving and Ras is obviously still just a prospects, but if our forward group is this good with arguably the worst D in the league any improvements to that D should help the forwards significantly.

Yeah, but unlike most people here I’m able to actually lift my eyes to the future and see that despite our feet being planted in the mud right now there’s solid ground up ahead. Last summer people questioned me because I dared to be optimistic about Larkin and Mantha. Now I’m questioned for thinking we might start to see improvements to our D soon or that a coaching change could impact the entire team’s performance. I’m pretty used to it.
Optimism in any way, shape or form is clearly frowned upon here but it tends to be more accurate than the analysis that everything and everyone sucks and they’re all morons and nothing good can happen in the future.

Man, you seem like a nice person and all, but you thought Mantha and Larkin would rebound/progress because thats just part of your “Wings can (almost) do no wrong” schtick. That’s blind squirrel-nut territory. You also thought the Wings would be better this year, Z would keep it up from last year, Tatar and Nyquist would bounce back, etc. etc. Whatever positive spin you can put on a chided aspect of the Wings, you will. But it just keeps getting more and more out to lunch.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
If we get Dahlin, we better have Holland fired. I don't want him to waste Dahlin's career.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Well, the odds of the guys becoming what you often hope or talk about are bad. That's more fact than opinion, given where we typically draft.

That said, I appreciate your optimism, and even though I generally disagree, a lot of your posts make me try and look at things from a different angle than I normally might. That is good for discussion, so keep on keeping on.

I also agree with you that we don't need a lot of pieces to turn things around (been very encouraged by Mantha +Larkin), but I do happen to think we need some big pieces still, or the ones that are hardest to find (#1 dman, for one). I think it might help to make a thread where people identify what we need, I'll try and make one in the near future.

Last edited:

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
This is the first time Holland has gone into the final year of a contract without an extension. I really think this might be the last year for Holland - IIRC that one guy here with an inside source said the same as well. All we can really hope for is an outsider that isn't loyal to our mediocre roster.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Man, you seem like a nice person and all, but you thought Mantha and Larkin would rebound/progress because thats just part of your “Wings can (almost) do no wrong” schtick. That’s blind squirrel-nut territory. You also thought the Wings would be better this year, Z would keep it up from last year, Tatar and Nyquist would bounce back, etc. etc. Whatever positive spin you can put on a chided aspect of the Wings, you will. But it just keeps getting more and more out to lunch.
Not really accurate tho. I kept saying all summer that the ONLY way this team would sniff the playoffs is if the young players take massive steps, that was a way to calm the crowd thinking we were going all-in for the playoffs because we signed Daley and Witkowski. I wasn't very optimistic about the general performance of the team, but did think there were avenues for this team to improve. And a lot of that has actually happened. The kids are better, special teams has been better, most of the veterans have been a bit better. Team has, overall, looked better than last year. They're just in a really, really ugly losing streak right now. And maybe they'll still end up as a bottom 5 team. But at least they're doing it with Larkin and Mantha as the leaders offensively. Both are top 50 in the league in scoring, which might not sound like a lot. But only 5 players on that list have less icetime/game than Mantha, and no one has a lower shooting% than Larkin. Mantha is well on track to 30+ goals and Larkin could easily get Selke votes.
By the end of the year I'm hopeful more kids, such as Bert/Svech/Hronek/Hicketts start making appearances. While this board is all doom and gloom a rebuild is taking place and, like has been the case for many other teams, when the turnaround comes it can come VERY swiftly.

Reactions: lomekian

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad