Post-Game Talk: Man, that's Wild 2 - Penguins 7

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I pretty much laughed/borderline mocked someone who brought up the Pens-Isle series two years ago on the main board.

This team has changed, GM, coach, system, almost 40% of the team including key players like Neal, addressed depth and grit, in short is nothing even close to what we even closed the season out last year with let alone the team two years ago.

We may not know what we have entirely because of all this change, but we certainly know that it is nothing at all like the team that played the Isle's two years ago. I tend to believe that the changes have been markedly for the better but am not dumb enough to count on that. Given how much change there is on this team it is the hardest team in the NHL perhaps to predict going into the playoffs. They certainly have the talent to win it all, but I also would not be shocked if they went out in the first round in 4 games. We just will not know until we get there.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
He's quiet a bit so the crowd sings louder. It's a good experience. And we all know Jimmy can belt it out. Sounds great, and it's always quick so we can get to the hockey. One of the better anthem singers out there.

Are you aware of how dreadful it sounds to have a tone deaf arena attempt to sing the American national anthem in unison? That tune is extremely difficult to sing well and should be left to trained vocalists.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Nice having a winger that can beat guys one on one like Perron. Been a while since we've had a guy like that. Well worth the 1st round pick so far.

Oh a-freaking-men. What a player. I think we will look back and see this is the PERFECT hockey move.

It also helps beau is back to being healthy and playing fantastic w/ Geno. We have a legit top 6 when everyone is healthy. Not perfect, but definitely legit.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Are you aware of how dreadful it sounds to have a tone deaf arena attempt to sing the American national anthem in unison? That tune is extremely difficult to sing well and should be left to trained vocalists.

Disagree. It's awesome and gives me chills every time. It's not about the sound.. it's about the unison.

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
Not to get off on an aside but was anyone else really impresses by Jared Spurgeon despite being a minus 4 on the night, I thought he was doing all he could to keep the Wild moving up and out of their zone.

Also I don't know if its frustration, personal issues or injury or just bad play but I have never seen Suter look that bad.

The general consensus seems to be it's from overuse.

It even looks like some Wild fans are actually hoping he gets suspended over the Downie elbow just because it's the only way he's going to get any rest.

wolffy66

Dec 16, 2009
I can't give Bort or Sill enough minuses for this game. First off Bort gets himself out of position so badly and so often that its almost impossible. Secondly not sticking up for Downie is some chicken **** stuff and he should be embarrassed along with Sill. They sure as **** aren't here for their hockey talent. Know your role, scrub.

Downie puts himself in harms way for all his teammates, every time and that's how they repay him? Sad.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Ya I thought the same thing. It sounded lame on tv. I honestly think Canadians do a much better job singing their anthem in unison than Americans. At least from all of my experience.

Living for almost 7 years in Canada, I've come to love their anthem more than ours. Something about the words and how proudly a proud people sing it in every arena, gets me every time.

BobCole

May 21, 2014
Yeah, Bortuzzo was terribad last night. I'm hoping here's our #7 come PO time, but maybe that's optimistic with Maatta out.

Wes C Addle

Bernard Shakey
Jul 4, 2007
Allentown, Pa
Yeah, Bortuzzo was terribad last night. I'm hoping here's our #7 come PO time, but maybe that's optimistic with Maatta out.

At this point, I wish they'd consider having either Harry or Dumo up to rotate in and out with Bortuzzo. Maybe it's not ideal for either of them to not be playing night in and night out, but if one of them were given an honest shot to take the spot from somebody like him I think they would and the team would be better off for it. At worst, it provides a little bit of competition to light a fire under Borts, maybe his play would improve.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Ya I thought the same thing. It sounded lame on tv. I honestly think Canadians do a much better job singing their anthem in unison than Americans. At least from all of my experience.

Living for almost 7 years in Canada, I've come to love their anthem more than ours. Something about the words and how proudly a proud people sing it in every arena, gets me every time.

In fairness, the Canadian national anthem is a much easier piece to sing for both the individual and an arena. That being said, imho there's no positive correlation between the difficulty of an anthem and its greatness. In fact, I'd argue more of an inverse relationship where the simpler ones tend to sound much better. The best example that comes to mind is the Russian or former Soviet national anthem.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
I can't give Bort or Sill enough minuses for this game. First off Bort gets himself out of position so badly and so often that its almost impossible. Secondly not sticking up for Downie is some chicken **** stuff and he should be embarrassed along with Sill. They sure as **** aren't here for their hockey talent. Know your role, scrub.

Downie puts himself in harms way for all his teammates, every time and that's how they repay him? Sad.

What they don't understand is that it's not about abusing Suter. It's about sending a message that these type of plays will not be tolerated by the Team. But just like Staal or Dubinsky last playoffs, the Pens show that they will not answer the call for a teammate. Very sad and why I don't hold out any hope for a long playoff run this spring.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009

Has anyone watched the Wild's 1st goal? Can anyone tell me what Bortuzzo is doing there? I mean, there are a few breakdowns there, as the Wild basically have a 3-on-0 on the left side of the ice, but Bort is just out for a stroll.

Anyhow, I don't know how they make him #7. They'd need to recall one of the kids soon.

specialized

Jan 24, 2013
So Downie gets elbowed nobody responds, this is why Farnham should be our 4th line RW and to cut Adams.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
On a side note, I think it's time to mention something about Jeff Jimmerson:

TherrienNodImpress.gif

He only sings about 40% of National Anthem. Maybe the Penguins should only give him 40% of his paycheck.

I'm sorry but I love the crowd singing the anthem. It sounds so much more awesome than hearing some guy sing it solo.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Hell even I sing along to the Canadian national anthem. It's so damn good. :laugh:

I hated those three girls who sang in Montreal. They butchered the National Anthem in english. They butchered the Canadian national anthem in english and french. Though they were angelic compared to that opera singer in Ottawa a couple of years or so back.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I hated those three girls who sang in Montreal. They butchered the National Anthem in english. They butchered the Canadian national anthem in english and french. Though they were angelic compared to that opera singer in Ottawa a couple of years or so back.

I really started liking Erik Karlsson after this.

This rendition was like my Kennedy assassination. I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing to this day.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
So Downie gets elbowed nobody responds, this is why Farnham should be our 4th line RW and to cut Adams.

If I remember just after a couple of runs were taken at Suter. But nothing crossing the line.

I think the Pens got the message, if they do something they will be gone for five minutes and 15 games, if the other team does something it is let go and a fine.

I am actually shocked that the league called Suter in at all given how many Pens have been concussed with the same hits Pens have been penalized for without any call on or off the ice.

I guess even a call and a fine is progress.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Disagree. It's awesome and gives me chills every time. It's not about the sound.. it's about the unison.

Completely agree. I couldn't give a **** about some dude belting out his own rendition of some song we hear all the damn time. The atmosphere of hearing the crowd in unison singing something so patriotic just makes the whole experience so much more awesome.

wolffy66

Dec 16, 2009
If I remember just after a couple of runs were taken at Suter. But nothing crossing the line.

I think the Pens got the message, if they do something they will be gone for five minutes and 15 games, if the other team does something it is let go and a fine.

I am actually shocked that the league called Suter in at all given how many Pens have been concussed with the same hits Pens have been penalized for without any call on or off the ice.

Yeah, how about a 2 minute call there at least. But yeah its the Pens, so of course, no. I can't see how they missed that. On the puck, in clear view. They see it and said "I'll let that one go".

steveg

Jul 8, 2012
Norman, OK
One thing I've noticed lately is that Sid has been challenging, and beating, guys one-on-one again. There were a few tonight(beating Suter with the hesitation, deking through a guy's skates, etc). He had kind of gotten away from that for a while and always settled for pulling up and looking for a trailer. Now I don't know how much if any of it can attributed to Perron but Sid sure looks like he's got some confidence back carrying the puck. He's looking like the old Crosby again and I think his goal scoring might start to correct itself soon.

Yep, these are the exact types of plays I'm seeing from him, that I was referring to. The one-on-one challenges...that takes confidence, to attempt, and it looks like his confidence is on the upswing (and I agree with you, the goal-scoring should come along with that, as well). I don't know if it can be attributed to Perron, but I'd say the timing matches up, and it seems reasonable that putting a winger of that skill level on his line might have that effect on him... :nod:

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC

Listen to Michel Therrien's Rant in the video above. It almost sounds like he is talking about this current Pens roster.

"they are soff"
"they don't care for one another"
"nobody came to his defense"

Nothing's changed with this organization. In fact, the only period recently where it did change coincided with their two visits to the finals.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
In fairness, the Canadian national anthem is a much easier piece to sing for both the individual and an arena. That being said, imho there's no positive correlation between the difficulty of an anthem and its greatness. In fact, I'd argue more of an inverse relationship where the simpler ones tend to sound much better. The best example that comes to mind is the Russian or former Soviet national anthem.

I've heard both anthems butchered before, but when musical abilities were being handed out, I was all back of the bus. I just know what anthem has sounded better when sung in unison.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad