Allsvenskan: Malmö Redhawks Thread

Teus

Oct 5, 2003
Lund
Visit site
Not to be a broken record, but if someone can perhaps post how Blomqvist plays every game, I would appreciate it...I have him in my sim league. :)

Thanks
Blomqvist has done a great job since he got a chance with the senior team now with the economical problems.

I knew he was big (194 cm/ 86 kg according to eliteprospects), but damn how big he looks on the ice. He is still mobile though, a very good skater. He for example seems good at using his skating/size to take the puck into the offense zone and down low.

Likes to throw his body around and got a bit of a mean streak. Love what I've seen of him so far. :)

Next season he will either play for Malmö or in one of the Canadian junior leagues.

mogs

Jan 11, 2007
Jasper AB
Hello! I'm a Canadian hockey fan from Ottawa living and studying in Lund right now, doing my best to follow Malmo and having a great deal of trouble with the Swedish websites! I'm likely going to the last game of the regular season on February 22nd with my mentor group, and my Swedish mentor/friend has told me that Malmo is battling for a playoff spot, and that it might come down to the last game of the season. He also told me that the last game was almost sold out...I'm very excited, and wondering what to expect? I imagine not quite the same atmosphere as NHL games but I have seen my hometown London Knights in the playoffs with 9000 fans cheering them on....I think European fans go a bit crazier :) So anyway, what are Malmo's chances? I heard they have been playing well lately with alot of Juniors on the roster....will this game be of playoff intensity?

On an semi-related note, I love Sweden!

mogs

Jan 11, 2007
Jasper AB
One more thing, is there an English website with standings and statistics? If not could someone post a link to the Swedish web page? I should be able to understand that, I'm just having problems finding it.

And can someone explain the format of the playoffs please? I know about the relegation and promotion between the leagues, and I'm reading wikipedia now and it says the top three teams go directly to Kvalserien, and the next four play in a playoff series to determine the fourth team that goes to Kvalserien. So, are there actually playoffs to determine the champion of Allsvenskan? Or just the Kvalserien?

Thanks alot for the info!

PS anyone living in Lund?

Fruits and Roots

Registered Swede
Jan 6, 2008
One more thing, is there an English website with standings and statistics? If not could someone post a link to the Swedish web page? I should be able to understand that, I'm just having problems finding it.

And can someone explain the format of the playoffs please? I know about the relegation and promotion between the leagues, and I'm reading wikipedia now and it says the top three teams go directly to Kvalserien, and the next four play in a playoff series to determine the fourth team that goes to Kvalserien. So, are there actually playoffs to determine the champion of Allsvenskan? Or just the Kvalserien?

There's no playoffs - Kvalserien is the **** :yo:

PS nobody lives in Lund.

Teus

Oct 5, 2003
Lund
Visit site

The game on Feb 22 is actually the last home game of the regular season. There is one away game left too.

The game is between the two main favorites for the 7th place. If they are still fighting for that spot, when it's time for the game, then I'm sure it will be a lovely game.

The team that finishes first in Allsvenskan is the champion. It doesn't really mean anything though, nothing people celebrate.

Team 1-3 from Allsvenskan joins team 11-12 form the SEL in Kvalserien (the 10-game qualification league to the SEL). The last spot in Kvalserien is determined by a small playoff between team 4-7 in Allsvenskan.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think it's team 4 vs 7 and team 5 vs 6 in the first round. The series are best of 3 and the winners go on to the "final" to decide which team gets the last spot in Kvalserien.

The 6 teams in Kvalserien play against each other twice (one home and away against each team), which means a total of 10 games for each team. The best two teams get promoted to the SEL for next season, while the other 4 will play in Allsvenskan next season.

The playoff to Kvalserien and Kvalserien itself can very much be compared with a regular playoff like the one to determine the Swedish champions. The difference though is that you have so much more to lose in Kvalserien than in for example the SEL playoffs.

BTW I actually lived in Lund a couple of years ago, when I studied there. :)

calgarylen13

Mar 15, 2002
Roskilde
Visit site

I live in Malmo but also study in Lund. Its looking very interesting now, and I did not expect to return from Berlin to see that we had beaten AIK so convincingly as we did. So excitement is really high in Malmo, with the Redhawks winning 5 in a row.

Definitely worth heading down to the game if you can. I will be at the game (against Troja I think it is right?). Its a shame it will be only one of us, as I quite liked them when I saw them against us last time. I think we'll do it, and I also think if we play as hard as we have, we could roll some heads in the playoffs, and maybe even Kvalserien? I'm not sure we could go up with this team, but if they show the same heart in every game from here to the end of the kvalserien, I don't know who would stop them.

calgarylen13

Mar 15, 2002
Roskilde
Visit site
All ready for todays game!

We need a regulation time win to stay in this race, as the final match against Leksands will be a dogfight no matter what. Troja's last game is easier than ours, we we need to have the jump on them from today.

Fingers crossed for another all heart effort from the team :)

calgarylen13

Mar 15, 2002
Roskilde
Visit site
6-1

Now we just need to beat Leksands. Any winning result and we are through to the playoff. The equation is very simple now. Troja needs 2 points more than us out of their game against Sundsvall...otherwise we're in.

Jun 30, 2008
Sweden
I'm impressed of Malmö now. It's great to see that you can fill your new arena and I hope you'll reach the playoffs.

Though, stay far away from Percy.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Malmo's run is one of the highlights of the season.

Youngsters with several loyal vets like Casseltehl, Damgaard, Soderberg, Oberg are playing with great effort, are playing great hockey. Lately i've heard some talks that Malmo is not a hockey town etc. It shows how wrong they were really. 12 000! in 2nd division! Wow.

It's another example that you don't need a veteran-heavy team to have sucess and that youngsters always "have much to learn" and must play 5 minutes per game because of that.

calgarylen13

Mar 15, 2002
Roskilde
Visit site
And so it ends. Fact is though, the result cannot be blamed on this game...we lost stupid points earlier in the season, these young ones have done us proud to come this close.

As for this game, the refereeing was against us from the first whistle. And the penalty shot, while it looks like a goal, if the referee calls 'no goal' its not a goal. You don't change your mind after having a cuddle with your other friend.

In itself, coming 7th isn't such a remarkable result, so there is nothing much to complain about. I will wish for Troja to advance from the playoff, as they have a lot of heart. Though its unlikely.

So for the third straight year our season ends in Leksand, under rather controversial circumstances. Games which Leksand have no role in affecting the outcome, but they do it out of spite. :shakehead:shakehead:shakehead

Vi ses i Allsvenskan yet again next year

KRM

Jun 9, 2005
Gothenburg
As for this game, the refereeing was against us from the first whistle. And the penalty shot, while it looks like a goal, if the referee calls 'no goal' its not a goal. You don't change your mind after having a cuddle with your other friend

I can agree that it was an unfortunate situation but the puck clearly crossed the line. Ref did not see this but the linesman who was in better position did, but IMO even though it was evident they should have reviewed it to be as diplomatic as possible. Through the game I think the ref was consistent, he choose his level and stuck by it.

I feel for you, normally I don't have any sympathy for Malmö but this team has shown a lot of heart, too bad it didn't go all the way. Blame it on your management, it's their fault, you don't run a hockey team they way they have. Too bad the ones who showed the most heart had to pay for it...

I'm glad Troja got in though, regardless on who's expense. Troja is good hockey community, they deserve some time in the spotlights.

Teus

Oct 5, 2003
Lund
Visit site
They really gave everything they had and a little more against Leksand and I couldn't have asked for more. Such a great bunch of players that just never give up and they have given me a month that I will never forget.

Now we enter a period of uncertainty. Hopefully things work out and they play in HockeyAllsvenskan next season too.

I also hope that they get to keep Anton Blomqvist (Canadian junior leagues?) and Victor Öhman (Linköping?). In general I really hope they will build on this and not fall into old habits - no more gold-diggers!

BTW congrats to Troja. They took some really impressive wins now in February to keep up with Malmö's playoff push like the away wins against Mora and Björklöven and the home win against Almtuna.

calgarylen13

Mar 15, 2002
Roskilde
Visit site
I can agree that it was an unfortunate situation but the puck clearly crossed the line. Ref did not see this but the linesman who was in better position did, but IMO even though it was evident they should have reviewed it to be as diplomatic as possible. Through the game I think the ref was consistent, he choose his level and stuck by it.

I feel for you, normally I don't have any sympathy for Malmö but this team has shown a lot of heart, too bad it didn't go all the way. Blame it on your management, it's their fault, you don't run a hockey team they way they have. Too bad the ones who showed the most heart had to pay for it...

I'm glad Troja got in though, regardless on who's expense. Troja is good hockey community, they deserve some time in the spotlights.
I agree, it did seem like a goal. But he shouldn't call 'no goal' and change the call. He should have left it to the linesman if he didn't know, who would've made the right decision in the first place. No problem at all with the fact it was a goal, it seemed clear enough to me even last night watching it. I just dispute the way it was handled.

I agree, it is the management. Simonsen should have been gone back at the start of the season and after every game I wondered what he was doing there. What the worst was seeing Matthias 'bara pengar inga hjarta' Johansson playing for Leksands last night, just as it woul dhave been seeing Hoglund and Karlsson for Sodertalje. While I don't have so much negative for Karlsson, the other two really disappoint me.

With regards to Troja, I can only agree. I liked them he first time we played them, I just really appreciated the way that they played. Was a bit disappointed when they fell apart against malmo last game, but i'm glad for them they got through. I hope they can get past the others and into Kvalserien, because they have done very well.

calgarylen13

Mar 15, 2002
Roskilde
Visit site
They really gave everything they had and a little more against Leksand and I couldn't have asked for more. Such a great bunch of players that just never give up and they have given me a month that I will never forget.

Now we enter a period of uncertainty. Hopefully things work out and they play in HockeyAllsvenskan next season too.

I also hope that they get to keep Anton Blomqvist (Canadian junior leagues?) and Victor Öhman (Linköping?). In general I really hope they will build on this and not fall into old habits - no more gold-diggers!

BTW congrats to Troja. They took some really impressive wins now in February to keep up with Malmö's playoff push like the away wins against Mora and Björklöven and the home win against Almtuna.

Must agree totally once again. The gold diggers of this year made me feel we had nothing to complain about with the Finns last year. Sure they weren't perfect, but they did the job, usually fought for the puck unlike this year. I think there will be some decent name signings for next year, but lets hope they don't make the same mistakes as this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad