Malkin vs Kane

Geno vs PK

• Total voters

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
Peak malkin is just to good for me to vote Kane. Very close though.

Insane they both have 3 cups.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Kane wins his second Hart and it's him.

Until then... dead heat or edge Malkin.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Points per game is not nearly as important as actual points. You don’t get credit for missing time. That said it’s probably still malkin for the time being.

Jason Arnott has more “actual points” than Peter Forsberg. The conversation is about who was the better player not who has more points.

But in any case, you seemed to not realize than Geno has more actual points than Kane does (in less games played as well). He has more total points and a better points per game than Kane both in the regular season and playoffs.

Crow

May 19, 2014
Malkin doesn't just have better PPG, he still has more actual points too.
He started a year earlier and only has like 30 more points.

Anyway my post was directed at someone who tried to make it seem like having more PPG in individual seasons was the most important thing. He even highlighted malkin as having better years when he had less points.

HotPie

Dec 3, 2007

Anyway my post was directed at someone who tried to make it seem like having more PPG in individual seasons was the most important thing. He even highlighted malkin as having better years when he had less points.

I'm just saying it's strange to say PPG matters less than actual points, when he has more actual points in like 100 less games played.

Crow

May 19, 2014
I'm just saying it's strange to say PPG matters less than actual points, when he has more actual points in like 100 less games played.
If you look at each season, malkin still comes out on top I believe, but it’s much closer due to many injuries. That was my point.

nickdawg95

scoutdawg
Jan 7, 2016
My 2 favourite players.

I think kane can be productive into his 40's if he wants to play that long. Malkin had a better prime but injuries makes this close.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

If you're referring to me, the only season I gave Malkin the "bolded" edge when he had less points was when he had only 4 less points than Kane (76 to 72) despite playing 20 games less. I'm sorry, but 4 points in 20 more games doesn't make Kane better that year, especially when Malkin scored more goals than Kane.

Crow

May 19, 2014
If you're referring to me, the only season I gave Malkin the "bolded" edge when he had less points was when he had only 4 less points than Kane (76 to 72) despite playing 20 games less. I'm sorry, but 4 points in 20 more games doesn't make Kane better that year, especially when Malkin scored more goals than Kane.
What about these non bolder ones which are clearly Kane? You couldn’t be more biased. You are comparing different years at different ages. Lockout years to non lockout years?

Year 5
Malkin - 15 G, 37 P (43 GP)
Kane - 23 G, 66 P

Year 7
Malkin - 9 G, 33 P (31 GP)
Kane - 29 G, 69 P (69 GP)

Your stats aren’t even correct on top of it. What the hell is year 14? This year for one, last year for the other? It’s not even over.

Year 14
Malkin - 25 G, 74 P (55 GP)
Kane - 13 G, 49 P (37 GP)

The whole post is problematic.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
What about these non bolder ones which are clearly Kane? You couldn’t be more biased.

Year 5
Kane - 23 G, 66 P

Year 7

I didn't bold those for Malkin. I left them tied since both guy produced roughly the same points per game. But if you want to give Year 5 to Kane, have at it.

Year 7, however, you have to keep in mind Malkin's was the lockout 48 game schedule. So he played 31 out of 48, while Kane played 69 out of 82. I don't think you can use raw totals when comparing a season of 82 games to a season of 48 games.

Your stats aren’t even correct on top of it. What the hell is year 14?

Year 14

I compared them by year of their career, not head to head seasons since Malkin entered the year earlier. For instance, I didn't compare their 2010-11 seasons, I compared Malkin's 1st year to Kane's 1st year, Malkin's 5th year to Kane's 5th year, etc.

Therefore, the year you quoted above is both players' 14th season in the league. For Malkin, that was last year. For Kane, that's this current year.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Lot of issues with the bolded.

1. Malkin started off his career way better than Kane. He was a hart runner up in year 2, and won the ross in year 3. Kane's first major award is in year 6 with the Smythe, and his first regular season award/finalist in year 9 where he won Ross/Hart. So even if you were right about Kane ageing better, it's certainly offset by Malkin starting out way better.

2. I actually disagree with Kane ageing better. It's certainly not as clear cut as you're implying. Malkin had a better season than Kane last year, No he didnt.. despite being 33 vs 31 for Kane. So i'm not sure saying "where Malkin has lost a step" is exactly fair either. Malkin was better in 2017-2018, Kane beter in 2018-2019, Malkin better in 2019-2020 Citation needed what if points dont mean a thing end of the day Kane was in the top 10 for scoring, Malkin was 14th. This year it's been Kane, obviously.

To me this is a very comfortable edge to Malkin still overall. But even if you want to somehow argue for Kane - your reasoning in bold is simply flawed. Malkin's biggest weakness is his lack of full seasons. He probably averages ~65 games a year or so. If you dock him enough points for that, you can probably make a case for Kane.

Kane has been better from 2013 onward as a whole and outproduced him from that span along with having a better PPG. Malkin has 07-12 but its been pretty clearly Kane from 13-now.

In regards to the better season argument Kane has had better seasons than Malkin in 2010, 2011 during Malkin's window of being better. What if points dont mean anything if youve proven consistently you cant play more than 60ish games.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Points per game is not nearly as important as actual points. You don’t get credit for missing time. That said it’s probably still malkin for the time being.

A yearly comparison might be a better way of looking at it.

Year 1
Malkin - 33 G, 85 P
Kane - 21 G, 72 P

Year 2
Malkin - 47 G, 106 P
Kane - 25 G, 70 P

Year 3
Malkin - 35 G, 113 P
Kane - 30 G, 88 P

Year 4
Malkin - 28 G, 77 P (67 GP)
Kane - 27 G, 73 P (73 GP)

Year 5
Kane - 23 G, 66 P

Year 6
Malkin - 50 G, 109 P
Kane - 23 G, 55 P (47 GP)

Year 7

Year 8
Malkin - 23 G, 72 P (60 GP)
Kane - 27 G, 64 P (61 GP)

Year 9
Malkin - 28 G, 70 P (69 GP)
Kane - 46 G, 106 P

Year 10
Malkin - 27 G, 58 P (57 GP)
Kane - 34 G, 89 P

Year 11
Malkin - 33 G, 72 P (62 GP)
Kane - 27 G, 76 P

Year 12
Malkin - 42 G, 98 P
Kane - 44 G, 110 P

Year 13
Malkin - 21 G, 72 P (68 GP)
Kane - 33 G, 84 P (70 GP)

Year 14

When comparing each of their respective years in the league, Malkin's been the better player more often. Some seasons are close in terms of points per game (year 5 and year 7) with Malkin missing more time, but there's only been 4 years where Kane was clearly the better player.

Where on earth did you get those numbers especially Kane's year 14 (which is this season) ... those numbers are off and you should have just done actual year rather than flipping between Kane and Malkin's year 1-2-3 etc.

for example comparing Malkin's 2012 season to a lockout shortened season by Kane is the definition of moving goal posts t0 fit an argument. Also not even using Kane's 2021 stats for his 14th season and using random numbers you pulled out of thin air.

I didn't bold those for Malkin. I left them tied since both guy produced roughly the same points per game. But if you want to give Year 5 to Kane, have at it.

Year 7, however, you have to keep in mind Malkin's was the lockout 48 game schedule. So he played 31 out of 48, while Kane played 69 out of 82. I don't think you can use raw totals when comparing a season of 82 games to a season of 48 games.

I compared them by year of their career, not head to head seasons since Malkin entered the year earlier. For instance, I didn't compare their 2010-11 seasons, I compared Malkin's 1st year to Kane's 1st year, Malkin's 5th year to Kane's 5th year, etc.

Therefore, the year you quoted above is both players' 14th season in the league. For Malkin, that was last year. For Kane, that's this current year.

Malkin's and Kane's careers virtually overlapped save for one season youd be better off just doing season by season rather than Malkins 1st year to Kane's first year which results in completely different seasons with varying scoring rates being compared. Be better than that

Last edited:
Reactions: Crow

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Crosby
Ovechkin
Malkin
Kane
Everybody else

Kane is closer to the big 3 than the rest of the league is to him, but he is not better than the big 3 career wise.
I agree but I think there's a clear gap between Crosby/OV and Malkin. In my estimation, Crosby is a top 5-10 player of all time, Ovechkin is top 10-20 with a case for top 10, and Malkin is closer to 40-50. I have Kane in the 80-90 range, myself.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Where on earth did you get those numbers especially Kane's year 14 (which is this season) ... those numbers are off and you should have just done actual year rather than flipping between Kane and Malkin's year 1-2-3 etc.

for example comparing Malkin's 2012 season to a lockout shortened season by Kane is the definition of moving goal posts t0 fit an argument. Also not even using Kane's 2021 stats for his 14th season and using random numbers you pulled out of thin air.

It was a straight on comparison for each respective year of their careers because that's the most fair for two guys who didn't enter the league at the same time. If I'd done it the other way and given Malkin credit for being better in 2006-07, you'd then have cried about it not being fair because Kane wasn't even in the league yet.

Reactions: sanscosm

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad