Confirmed with Link: Malkin re-signs to a 4 year, $6.1 million AAV deal (Eklund called it, start singing his praises)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
The core guys are all back at much better per annums than anyone predicted.

Don't really understand the Ruutta deal, but it seems like Hextall's positioning the team to make some other consequential moves.

Really like the job he's done so far this summer. If he were to pull off something like Marino, Kapanen, and futures for Miller, that'd be incredible.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
You continue to confuse "investment" with "entertainment expense". I hate to break it to you, but you are not an equity participant nor partner with the Penguins or FSG. They don't even know who you are, outside of your account number.

No its an investment. Especially if you're selling tickets. I can't believe you took the time to type all that out.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Geno just made him wait, he was always re-signing here, but since GMRH made him wait so long for the right contract, he just returned the favor.

Why do people think Malkin was making Hextall sweat or whatever nonsense?

Hint: Hextall didn’t make Malkin a priority for a reason. He’s not into nostalgia.

He did his job though and got him to take a big pay cut.

Be happy, but don’t start believing Malkin threatening to leave had Hextall all upset.

If you believe that, you completely misread the situation.

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010

Hint: Hextall didn’t make Malkin a priority for a reason. He’s not into nostalgia.

Be happy, but don’t start believing Malkin threatening to leave had Hextall all upset.

If there wasn’t any consternation at Malkin going to FA, then he didn’t read the market for the rest of the UFAs very well. Malkin staying here was not about nostalgia but about getting the best player at a much more affordable contract than what would have been available.

This whole ice cold management angle where they don’t give a f*** about Geno is cool and everything but losing him would have hurt the team.

Keeping him wasn’t some kind of handout charity to Malkin.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Ya, it will eventually all come out but this is what Crosby wanted and he usually gets his way with the org.

If that’s good or bad, I honestly don’t care anymore.

This team has become ultra stale, so seeing something new would have been more interesting to an indifferent fan like myself.

However, again this is clearly what a majority of Pens fans wanted and I’m not going to rain on the parade.

That discussion can be had some other day.

I view this in a similar manner: either way I was going to be ok

1) Malkin resigns, then he gets to retire a Penguin. It would have annoyed me to see him in another jersey
2) If he walked, then we get to see this team try something different and see if it brought them success

You also wonder if Sully didn't have influence here too. I mean the dude has done essentially the same thing for the past 5 seasons with zero wrinkles. I'm certain he wanted Geno back too so he could put in the minimal effort

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
If there wasn’t any consternation at Malkin going to FA, then he didn’t read the market for the rest of the UFAs very well. Malkin staying here was not about nostalgia but about getting the best player at a much more affordable contract than what would have been available.

This whole ice cold management angle where they don’t give a f*** about Geno is cool and everything but losing him would have hurt the team.

The fourth year was absolutely charity. No one else wanted to give it. NYR wasn't as reported.

But we believe what we want to believe when it comes to #71.

• Haha
Reactions: TheGoldenJet

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
Yeah sorry this whole idea that 3-time champions and current elite talents Evgeni Malkin and Kris Letang set the Penguins back a decade and Vince f***ing Trochek (no offense) was going to lead us to the future is so obtuse I can't even summon the desire to respond to it properly.

The goal of this organization is to try to win while Crosby is still elite. Period. Because they know that while we have had ridiculous fortune in landing superstars in the draft twice, that is unlikely to happen any time soon because of how great this organization has become. So try to win now, and deal with the desert later. We can tread water and rebuild when Crosby is in a business suit.

Malkin is no longer elite. How do you excuse/explain/talk yourself into 3 Primary Assists 5 on 5 all season?

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Ya, it will eventually all come out but this is what Crosby wanted and he usually gets his way with the org.

If that’s good or bad, I honestly don’t care anymore.

This team has become ultra stale, so seeing something new would have been more interesting to an indifferent fan like myself.

However, again this is clearly what a majority of Pens fans wanted and I’m not going to rain on the parade.

That discussion can be had some other day.
It can go either way for 36,37,38,39 year old players. Some can make it some can't. Also need the youth around them.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Geno just made him wait, he was always re-signing here, but since GMRH made him wait so long for the right contract, he just returned the favor.
OR
He got nervous as all heck that if he wanted to see the offers the penguins may not wait around and had second thoughts --- signed up.

Nobody has any clue except Malkin.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Hopefully he can stay healthy and be dominant. They have to find him wingers that works with his game. Rakell is a good start, but I don't like Zucker or Kapanen with him.

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

People can believe whatever they want if it makes them feel better I suppose.

If some of you want to tell yourselves Malkin really stuck it to Hextall and made him "sweat" by threatening to go to FA, cool.

It's not even close to reality, but it seems some of you need to believe Malkin got back at Hextall I guess.

Burke and Hextall told you exactly how they prioritized Malkin. Believe them.

Again, if you are a big Malkin fan, send Crosby your TY cards.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Yeah I totally believed that Malkin was this like badass action hero guy that got up out of Hextall's office seat and said in a low gruff voice "Well then, Ron... now we wait," put on his Terminator glasses, slung his leather duster over his shoulder and then slow-walked away from an explosion while fighter jets swooped overhead. But now that I've been corrected by my betters I can see that that is silly. Thank you.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Hopefully he can stay healthy and be dominant. They have to find him wingers that works with his game. Rakell is a good start, but I don't like Zucker or Kapanen with him.

Maybe a kid will take that spot in camp, Puusti, Poulin, Nylander never know...

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Ya, Malkin went to Hextall’s office.

Malkin is too bad ass for agents when he can intimidate Ron in person!

Malkamaniacs don’t ever change.

Too cute.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Did I ever tell you about the time I went horseback riding with Malkin, but there weren’t any horses around? Well, Malkin throws a saddle on my back and rides me around Wyoming for three days. Well, wouldn’t you know it, my stamina increases with each day and I develop tremendous leg muscles. So anyway, Malkin decides to enter me in the Breeders’ Cup, right, under the name Turkish Delight. And I’m running in second place, and I’m running and I break my ankle! They’re about to shoot me. Then someone from the crowd yells out, God bless him, "Don’t shoot him, he’s a human."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad