Malkin playing at WJC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spectacular_Bid

Mar 22, 2004
Slitty said:
I always thought it was Bure with some ridiculous number in the very early 90s back in the days of the best World Junior Line ever:

Bure-Federov-Mogilny

Forsberg was right. 31 points in the tournament, pretty tough to beat. I guess Sweden played Japan that year which kinda helped.

Nash

Jul 23, 2004
Vancouver
God Bless Canada said:
But I don't think he'll make that much of a difference in Russia's overall result. His presence will keep this Russia team from being their worst at the WJC since the debacles of 1993 and 1994, but it doesn't make them the favourites. Outside of Malkin and Ovechkin, the last two years have not been kind to Russian hockey. (No first rounders in 2005).

The last two years have not been kind to Russian hockey? Ovechkin, Malkin & Radulov to name a few sounds pretty good. If you had said that 2005 was not kind to them, I might have somewhat agreed with you. One thing to remember about the 2005 draft is that no transfer agreement exists between the NHL and the RSL. That likely kept many NHL teams from picking Russian players.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
I mentioned Ovechkin and Malkin. But outside of them, there hasn't been much to get excited about. Radulov will put up points, but he's better suited to second line duty. Regardless of the transfer agreement with Russia, there just wasn't a highly skilled, consensus future top line Russian in the 2005 draft. I believe the first Russian picked was 70th overall. With only two first round picks on the team (with some skilled second rounders from 2004), it's not going to be as good of a team as we're used to watching. Fourth place would be a good finish for them.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
God Bless Canada said:
I mentioned Ovechkin and Malkin. But outside of them, there hasn't been much to get excited about. Radulov will put up points, but he's better suited to second line duty. Regardless of the transfer agreement with Russia, there just wasn't a highly skilled, consensus future top line Russian in the 2005 draft. I believe the first Russian picked was 70th overall. With only two first round picks on the team (with some skilled second rounders from 2004), it's not going to be as good of a team as we're used to watching. Fourth place would be a good finish for them.

I and almost every expert disagrees with you. Yeah, the '87s suck (hence the poor 2005 draft) but the '86 Russians are very talented and deep - more so than the '85 and '84. Remember, the '86s won the U-18 WJC a few years ago.
Apart from Ovechkin, most of the offensive on last year's silver medal team came from '86s. They're almost a shoe-in to win some medal; barring some sort of catastrophe.

God Bless Canada said:
Radulov will put up points, but he's better suited to second line duty.

Second line duty at the WJC? :dunno:
Radulov is the best player in the Q, and arguably one of the top 3 players in all the CHL.

Last edited:

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
God Bless Canada said:
With only two first round picks on the team (with some skilled second rounders from 2004), it's not going to be as good of a team as we're used to watching. Fourth place would be a good finish for them.
Do you care about picks ? Voloshenko, Lisin and Lyamin were projected as first-rounders but were selected in the second because GMs were afraid. Did it make them worse players ? Of course not. Zubov, Istomin, Buravchikov and Zubarev have gone in late rounds but were predicted way earlier. How does lack of agreement affect their level of play ? Have you seen Shirokov at last WJC ? He wasn't even drafted and he had 8 points (3rd on team) while Radulov(1st round), Voloshenko (2nd round) and Lisin (2nd round) had 9 points combined. So... he isn't 1st round pick and that's why he's bad ? :dunno:

Do you know how many this year "Shirokovs" will be on this team ?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Slay said:
1986 year for Russia is probably the strongest since 1983. They have solid group of players aside from Malkin. Malkin can be just that last ingredient. Russia won U18 2004 (over USA in the finals by the way) and Malkin wasn't the best scorer even on team Russia (Voloshenko was). I don't necessarily expect him to totally dominate on a scoresheet (I think Kessel and Schremp can challenge him easly especially with their lethal PP) but I do expect him to dominate overall, physically.

Like I said, Malkin will be great and get his fair share of points. However, I don't think his presence alone will be enough to get the Russians the gold.

Ozolinsh_27

Apr 1, 2005
Spectacular_Bid said:
Forsberg was right. 31 points in the tournament, pretty tough to beat. I guess Sweden played Japan that year which kinda helped.

10 pts vs Japan if I remember correctly :)

Transported Upstater

Zine said:
I and almost every expert disagrees with you. Yeah, the '87s suck (hence the poor 2005 draft) but the '86 Russians are very talented and deep - more so than the '85 and '84. Remember, the '86s won the U-18 WJC a few years ago.
Apart from Ovechkin, most of the offensive on last year's silver medal team came from '86s. They're almost a shoe-in to win some medal; barring some sort of catastrophe.

Second line duty at the WJC? :dunno:
Radulov is the best player in the Q, and arguably one of the top 3 players in all the CHL.

I was listening to the Quebec game (on streaming radio) where Radulov got 6 goals, and the crowd was load even on the radio.

The announcer sounded like he had something stuck in his throat, but it was still great to listen to.

The Quebec crowd was loving it.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
It'll be interesting to see where Robbie Schremp and Andrew Cogliano stack up against the supposed best prospect or even best player out-side of the NHL right now.

AgentNaslund*

In Russias Division, Malkin will be men among boys, until he plays USA or Canada. Their division does not have USA or Canada, this year, so good for him.

Daily Special

Oct 4, 2005
San Francisco
GregStack said:
Too bad Sid the Kid can't come out to play.

It's going to be awesome to see Malkin rise to the status of God on these boards when he totally lights up the tournament.

Question of the Day: Does he break the single tournament record for points/goals?

Malkin isn't Ovechkin. Have you seen him play? Malkin flubs breakaways all of the time. The goals he does get are primarily gimmes. Metallurg Magnitogorsk is a high scoring team, it's hardly just about Malkin there. Malkin's few oppurtunistic goals in the RSL won't translate in the bigs. He'll be a top line Center in the NHL, but he'll never eclipse 30 goals.

EM is an assist man. I keep warning people he's no Kovalchuk caliber lamp lighter, but they want to pretend he's God. Just because everyone likes saying his name, doesn't make him AO. The guy skates and passes well, has good instincts, but shoots poorly. Remember that and you won't be so dissapointed.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Rush5Collapse5 said:
Malkin isn't Ovechkin. Have you seen him play? Malkin flubs breakaways all of the time. The goals he does get are primarily gimmes. Metallurg Magnitogorsk is a high scoring team, it's hardly just about Malkin there. Malkin's few oppurtunistic goals in the RSL won't translate in the bigs. He'll be a top line Center in the NHL, but he'll never eclipse 30 goals.

EM is an assist man. I keep warning people he's no Kovalchuk caliber lamp lighter, but they want to pretend he's God. Just because everyone likes saying his name, doesn't make him AO. The guy skates and passes well, has good instincts, but shoots poorly. Remember that and you won't be so dissapointed.

Yes, Master.

I'm sorry, what NHL team are you a scout for again?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
All I can watch are Slay's clips but most of his goals are of the highlight-reel variety.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
No, they were clips. And of Slay's clips I'd say I've seen about 10 of his goals this year, and at least 6 of them would be considered above-average efforts, certainly not gimmes. More than a few were definitely highlight-reel quality.

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
WILDTATE10 said:
Will Voloshenko be on a line with Malkin?
We don't know. I'd prefer to split our scorers like it was always before and use 3 good scoring lines but I'd put together Radulov, Voloshenko and Malkin when we will need a goal in the end of the game.

Daily Special

Oct 4, 2005
San Francisco
Jacobv2 said:
No, they were clips. And of Slay's clips I'd say I've seen about 10 of his goals this year, and at least 6 of them would be considered above-average efforts, certainly not gimmes. More than a few were definitely highlight-reel quality.

Well I gotta tell ya, in the seven games I watched, he scored two gimmes, and flubbed on about 6 breakaways, and a few point blank one timer attempts. I was "wowed" by his passes and skating, never by his goals..or lack thereof.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Rush5Collapse5 said:

he is the #1 center on the team, he leads the league in goals and points, and was voted best player in the rsl by the coaches. in the rsl he's been better than ovechkin. we'll see how it translates to the nhl, but it's ridiculous to say it won't. and yes i've downloaded a couple of full metallurg games. from what i've seen he's very much like sergei fedorov.

Slay

May 24, 2003
Krasnoyarsk
Slitty said:
Khudobin didn't make the team?

That's camp roster and as you see there are no Radulov and Voloshenko on the list either. They are already made the team and will join to the team in North America.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad