Malkin playing at WJC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Rabid Ranger said:
Malkin should do great in this tournament, but I don't know if that should automatically make Russia the favorite. One player, regardless of talent (especially at forward) rarely makes that much of a differance.
yea but it's not too often that the leading scorer in the rsl plays on the junior team.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Dark Metamorphosis said:
yea but it's not too often that the leading scorer in the rsl plays on the junior team.

Fair point, but I stand by my statement. Malkin will make a significant impact, but he can't do it by himself. I'd feel the same way if Crosby was on Team Canada this year.

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
PavelBure said:
haHhaha i was thinking the same thing

At first I tought that something is wrong with my computer going always up reading the same post (although I was always scrolling down)... :biglaugh:

Rabid Ranger said:
Malkin should do great in this tournament, but I don't know if that should automatically make Russia the favorite. One player, regardless of talent (especially at forward) rarely makes that much of a differance.

I always considered Russia as #2 favorite and just a little bit below USA. With Malkin they do surpass the americans.

I expect from Malkin (and AO) to dominate the Olympics, let alone the WJC...

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Rabid Ranger said:
Fair point, but I stand by my statement. Malkin will make a significant impact, but he can't do it by himself. I'd feel the same way if Crosby was on Team Canada this year.

Malkin doesn't have to do it by himself - Russia is returning like 10 players from their silver medal team. They certainly have experience on their side.

If Crosby was on Canada, I'd take them over us.

The U.S. is good...but we're not overwealmingly the favorites for anything.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
TORRUS said:
At first I tought that something is wrong with my computer going always up reading the same post (although I was always scrolling down)... :biglaugh:

I always considered Russia as #2 favorite and just a little bit below USA. With Malkin they do surpass the americans.

I expect from Malkin (and AO) to dominate the Olympics, let alone the WJC...

I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I know one thing, Walt Kyle will have the U.S. team well-prepared, and I think that will be a key differance between the team this year and what transpired last year.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Zine said:
Malkin doesn't have to do it by himself - Russia is returning like 10 players from their silver medal team. They certainly have experience on their side.

If Crosby was on Canada, I'd take them over us.

The U.S. is good...but we're not overwealmingly the favorites for anything.

Come on, Russia was alot closer to the U.S. (a team that beat them last year) than they were to Canada. It's a clean slate this year, and the fact is, several "experts" have proclaimed the U.S. as the favorite, even the clear the favorite.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
he had a goal and 2 assists today.

that's 34 pts in 31 games in the RSL

unbelievable for a 19 year old

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
Rabid Ranger said:

I agree 100%, heres the problem....Malkin will be joining a Russian team that returns a bunch of solid players...the Russians were already a favourite for a medal and not much behind the States for gold....this should bump them to the top with the states easily.

Where as if the Cdn junior team had Crosby he would be great, get his 15 points, but still Canada would only have 2 ppl returning.

FTR my guess is Malkin has in the neighbourhood of 15 points in the tourney.

Nash

Jul 23, 2004
Vancouver
Rabid Ranger said:

RUSSIA - 10 returning players

They have two returning defenseman in Belov (0) & Yemelin (1) and their starting goaltender from last year in Khudobin. They have Lisin (5), Malkin (10), Parshin (2), Shirokov (8), Yunkov (2), Voloshenko (2) and Radulov (3).

USA - 6 returning players

They have one returning defenseman in Lee (0) and their back up goalie from last year in Schneider. They have Bourque (2), Kessel (6), Porter (5) and Shremp (5).

Jack Johnson should have played for the USA last year, but he would have likely taken Lee's spot. Bobby Ryan probably should have been on the team as well.

() are for points from last year's tournament.

Goaltending is a toss up between these teams. Schnieder was pretty bad in the period he played last year, but USA's defense last year was not good. He should be a lot better this time around, but I would give the edge to Khubodin based on experience.

Defense is a strength for the USA, but they have a very young group. Russia's defense will be mainly made up of 86 birthdates. This is a 19 year old's tournament, so even though I would give the edge to the USA, it might not be a huge difference maker if these two face each other.

At forward, both teams have great players. Last year Russia had Shirokov-Malkin-Radulov playing together and also had Parshin-Yunkov-Voloshenko together and they are all back. The seventh returnee at forward was on the top line. USA has four returning forwards and for the most part they didn't play together. The USA is fielding one of their strongest groups ever, but again Russia has a mainly 19 year old core of veteran players. Malkin is by far the best player in the tournament, but I would give the edge to the USA on depth.

Goaltending and experience make a huge difference in a short tournament and even though the USA may have an overall more talented team, I'd give the edge to Russia as the overall favorite.

Last edited:

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
bobby ryan, phil kessel, rob schremp will be a dominant force for the US, with players like Jack Skille, as well as a Dcorps with JJ, Lee, and EJ.

Malkin will be the top scorer of the tourney, but espect ryan and schremp to be close. Maybe Kessel as well.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
hockeyman28 said:
bobby ryan, phil kessel, rob schremp will be a dominant force for the US, with players like Jack Skille, as well as a Dcorps with JJ, Lee, and EJ.

Malkin will be the top scorer of the tourney, but espect ryan and schremp to be close. Maybe Kessel as well.

If EJ gets playing time, he will be up there also.

paul99

Sep 5, 2003
Montreal, PQ
Malkin/Radulov... The best 1-2 punch on paper at the tournament.

And Russia will count on one of the best world junior dman richt now: Alexei Emelin. Expect this Habs prospect to have a great tournament this year. He played pretty well last year.

He was chosen the best dman a couple weels ago at the U-20 4-nation tournament in Russia. He is recording so far the best plus-minus record for Togliatti Lada in the Superleague. And he is just 19- YO! He also records the most PIM for Togliatti and ranks first among his team's dmen for points with six.

It is gone be a great WJC!

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
paul99 said:
Malkin/Radulov... The best 1-2 punch on paper at the tournament.

And Russia will count on one of the best world junior dman richt now: Alexei Emelin. Expect this Habs prospect to have a great tournament this year. He played pretty well last year.

He was chosen the best dman a couple weels ago at the U-20 4-nation tournament in Russia. He is recording so far the best plus-minus record for Togliatti Lada in the Superleague. And he is just 19- YO! He also records the most PIM for Togliatti and ranks first among his team's dmen for points with six.

It is gone be a great WJC!

Emelin was terrible last year.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
That's what I wanted to see! While, he could easily have sat out, I think he still has something to prove, and should want to do so.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Malkin will not break Forsberg's record. Forsberg, along with Markus Naslund and Niklas Sundstrom (yes, Sundstrom was once considered a primo offensive prospect) dominated the 1993 WJC in Sweden. Only Manny Legace and a Canadian squad that epitomized team kept Sweden from the gold. (Playing against the Japanese certainly helped Forsberg's totals).

However, Malkin is definitely the favourite to lead the tournament in scoring. 15-20 points is not out of the question.

But I don't think he'll make that much of a difference in Russia's overall result. His presence will keep this Russia team from being their worst at the WJC since the debacles of 1993 and 1994, but it doesn't make them the favourites. Outside of Malkin and Ovechkin, the last two years have not been kind to Russian hockey. (No first rounders in 2005). The U.S. still has the most overall talent, and Canada has advantages in goal, behind the bench and with home ice advantage. The Czechs have a lot of talent, and you can't discount the Finns.

Spectacular_Bid

Mar 22, 2004
GregStack said:
Too bad Sid the Kid can't come out to play.

It's going to be awesome to see Malkin rise to the status of God on these boards when he totally lights up the tournament.

Question of the Day: Does he break the single tournament record for points/goals?

What is the single tournament record for points? goals? I don't think Malkin will do it just because he doesn't have the supporting cast. I'd be interested to see what the record is. The US has some real point producers (Kessel, Schremp, Ryan) Depending on the record, one of those guys could take a run at it.

Slay

May 24, 2003
Krasnoyarsk
Rabid Ranger said:
Malkin will make a significant impact, but he can't do it by himself. I'd feel the same way if Crosby was on Team Canada this year.

1986 year for Russia is probably the strongest since 1983. They have solid group of players aside from Malkin. Malkin can be just that last ingredient. Russia won U18 2004 (over USA in the finals by the way) and Malkin wasn't the best scorer even on team Russia (Voloshenko was). I don't necessarily expect him to totally dominate on a scoresheet (I think Kessel and Schremp can challenge him easly especially with their lethal PP) but I do expect him to dominate overall, physically.

Last edited:

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
Jacobv2 said:
Emelin was terrible last year.
It was last year. I don't know how he made the team last year, but this year he picked up his game and playing absolutely awesome. He looks like one of the best steals in 2004. No, he doesn't provide great help in attack but he is very good in PK and in his own zone. Now, he is a lot more patient. He is not trying to hit only for hit like it was season or 2 ago, now he plays a lot more clever. I don't know what was changed may be he ate something, but he realy improved his play and put it on the new level.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
Chaos said:
Not a chance in hell. Doesnt Forsberg hold the record with 30-something points?

I always thought it was Bure with some ridiculous number in the very early 90s back in the days of the best World Junior Line ever:

Bure-Federov-Mogilny

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad