News Article: Malkin Interviewed by Dmitry Chesnokov while walking to the team bus on Monday night

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
If Bylsma had to choose, he'd almost certainly take Kesler over Geno.

Oh, no doubt. Kesler would've been his excuse to marginalize Geno further.

You know, some things with Geno, I just don't get. From this interview, it's pretty clear that he knows when he's being marginalized or misused. But, it's also clear that he'll just sit there and keep his mouth shut (as I wrote last page, I think that comes from his getting dumped on when he said he was uncomfortable playing left point in the 2008 playoffs).

That he's such a team guy and is willing to do whatever the coach tells him is admirable. But, I'm not sure it wouldn't be less destructive to speak up than it is to try to internalize and play through being thrown out there with one arm tied behind your back.

People call that 'pouting'. I'm not sure it is. I think what you're really witnessing are situations where Malkin is internalizing and trying to reconcile his instinct to do what he's told with his understanding that something is wrong or otherwise doesn't make sense.

Me . . . I just wish he'd pop off some day. Just as I wished over the summer that he hadn't rushed to sign an extension to send a signal, it's pretty much the only thing that is going to save this organization from itself (unless of course Sid speaks up, which is pretty much as unlikely).

flaneur

Jul 17, 2013
If Bylsma had to choose, he'd almost certainly take Kesler over Geno.

Sadly there is probably some truth to that. :help:

Haha... maybe I should alter my original comment about Geno being lucky to have Crosby on his team to include Bylsma. Could you even imagine what Bylsma would be like if Crosby was the type to bring the gold medal into the locker room and crow about it? :laugh:

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I dunno if Geno is still bothered by the Olympics or if its effecting his play at all, but i know Geno isn't going to tell a Russian reporter that hes over the Olympics.

It would look really bad if Geno told the reporter he doesn't think about the Olympics and hes over everything.

steveg

Jul 8, 2012
Norman, OK
a comment and a question...

the comment -- I was glad to see Malkin's honesty/humanity in that interview, and I agree that he appears to be an internalizer who doesn't speak up about problems, but deals with them interally; clearly, he's torn up about NOT EVEN MEDALING on home ice, and likewise I'm SURE he was pretty torn up after last year's Boston series...and he obviously worked through THAT just like any professional would...as such, I'm sure he'll be fine for the playoffs (especially if Bylsma sets the lineup correctly for a change -- i.e. Geno's other wing).

the question -- this is the first I've heard of this implication that Bylsma "marginalizes" Geno. CERTAINLY, it looks that way, with Pyatt on his wing, but is there other evidence that he doesn't value Geno appropriately? Obviously, DB does NOT win another Cup without him getting the most from his two brightest stars...SURELY he's smart enough to know that...

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
I thought it a very good interview and do not fault him being disappointed, totally understandable. I am just glad he didn't say time to be traded to get away from DB and I say this jokingly, I think.

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
If these are actual quotes, Geno's English has really come along :)

Obviously glad that Canada dominated at the Olympics, but Malkin being my favorite player and seemingly such a nice guy, I feel for him.

Article said:
Maybe I will win with Pittsburg and that will somehow smooth over my disappointment. It’s good that there are a lot of games.

:handclap:

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Me . . . I just wish he'd pop off some day. Just as I wished over the summer that he hadn't rushed to sign an extension to send a signal, it's pretty much the only thing that is going to save this organization from itself (unless of course Sid speaks up, which is pretty much as unlikely).

I dunno. The thing is, we have no idea what goes on behind closed doors. We do know Sid and Geno are insanely competitive athletes. I remember reading that Neal and Geno are constantly yelling at each other on the bench about missed passes and positioning and stuff like that. And we know Sid isn't shy about talking to his linemates either.

I doubt Sid and Geno are making demands or anything but I'd be surprised if they aren't giving Bylsma, Shero, etc occasional input about what they think about the state of Pens hockey.

I think if they saw something going on that they really didn't agree with, they'd find a way to make that known. Thing is, I think the unfortunate truth is the Pens players believe in Bylsma and his system as much as Shero - aka they're fully behind him.

I'd think that no matter how much they like him though that eventually they will quit on him if the playoff failures keep mounting. When that happens Bylsma will be fired whether Shero wants to or not. The players will have forced his hand as they did with Therrien.

THe question is, what is that breaking point? As fans we've already reached ours, but I get no sense at all like that from the players or Shero.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
The notion tha Bylsma would take kessler over Geno pure garbage, say what you want about DB but he lights up anytime he speaks about Geno. He loves Geno. I am pretty sure about that. now whether he uses him in a right way that is for another day...
I was wondering what affect does the ukrainein crisis has on russian players. I know a thing or two about that kind of feeling. I mean every night you stand there and listen the anthem of a country that right now vilifiy your motherland (rightfully so may I add), but still yo have to feel a little bit torn there, it is not the easiest feeling...

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
Some people are trying to invent some sort of feud/antipathy between Bylsma and Malkin to make themselves and their arguments look better, but it's pure self-serving ********. Every indication is that they love each other.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Geno's never been one to keep concerns internalized. He *****es out Neal all the time, and it was made public a long time ago that he often yells in meetings with coaches, but that's just the way he is.

It's pretty clear that people are projecting their issues with Bylsma onto Geno here.

That he signed an extension so quickly was a loud and clear signal. It just wasn't the signal some had predicted.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Some people are trying to invent some sort of feud/antipathy between Bylsma and Malkin to make their arguments look better, but it's pure self-serving ********. Every indication is that they love each other.

I was just posting that. Beat me to the punch. :laugh:

Mo Wanchuk

Embrace the Hate
Mar 16, 2009
Palm Isle
You would have to think the situation in the Ukraine coupled with the Olympic loss is weighing on his mind. It's only been 2 weeks or so since the Olympics. Hopefully Geno goes off one of these games and gets his groove back. He was feeling it last night in the beginning of the game, he even cracked a smile. I think if he could've potted one it would have a big boost for his confidence. I'm not too worried, it won't be long and this guy will be back.

malkinphotobomb.gif

malkinphotobomb.gif

SidDidNothingWrong

Beau's IcedCapp
Jan 2, 2014
Wow, now I kindof get when people make fun of these forums for being cynical and absolutely ridiculous. Guys, he lost miserably in front of his home country in a country that takes Hockey very seriously. He has every right to be downtrodden. He said in the interview the pain goes away with every new game and it helps that there are so many games and I totally agree with him. OH NOES! He is using it as motivation to win a Stanley Cup now? You are seriously saying that it is wrong to say that? He said the word possibly and maybe implying it wouldn't be just handed to him and there is a possibility they will or will not win. Jesus, a player is sad after getting trounced in a way you as a non professional athlete can in no way empathize with and that means he will be sad forever and it will be a problem for the team. Good god.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
And at the time he said he signed so quickly because he loves the people around him here.

If you're looking for Malkin to be your martyr/savior, you're looking at the wrong dude.

There ARE NO MARTYR/SAVIORS On this team!!!!!!! DAMMIT.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad