News Article: Malkin Interviewed by Dmitry Chesnokov while walking to the team bus on Monday night

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
Could you describe your feelings after the exit in Sochi?

“There were no feelings. Emptiness sets it right away. You just don’t understand what is going on. But you do understand this is the end… And again, you see Sid the Olympic champion in the locker room… But a big thank you to them than they came, that they didn’t have their noses up, didn’t show off their medals, that it was all respectful. They understand that today they won. But maybe tomorrow it will be us. They were very respectful and showed a lot of support, because at first [my] mood was non-existent. And I thank them for it.”

Did the Olympics take away from your desire to play hockey?

“It did. But thank God there are games, and I know that wins will come. Maybe I will win with Pittsburg and that will somehow smooth over my disappointment. It’s good that there are a lot of games. We played tonight, playing again tomorrow. It helps. You start forgetting a little bit.”

A lot is expected from your team, and the Penguins didn’t land any big names at the deadline.

“A lot is expected from us every year. And we are currently in first place. Last year we got stronger at the deadline but that didn’t help. So maybe we drew some conclusions this year. At the same time we are planning to have Martin and Letang back. We have a good team. Throughout the season we have been very consistent, in first place. But there is a salary cap. We can’t just buy everyone!”

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...hkin-193827235.html?soc_src=mediacontentstory

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I despise that Dmitry guy, but it's good to see Malkin being candid about his disappointment and actually giving answers instead of the boring conservative Hockey talk.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
He would be the first to say anything about Letang potentially returning.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I'm sure I'll get nasty replies, but part of me thinks Geno needs to grow up a little bit. Winning a Cup may smooth over your disappointment? Come on man.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
I'm sure I'll get nasty replies, but part of me thinks Geno needs to grow up a little bit. Winning a Cup may smooth over your disappointment? Come on man.

Olympic gold in your home country is huge, especially for Europeans.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

I don't actually completely disagree.

But like wej said... Olympic gold is a huge deal. For any player... but especially for Malkin, owing to the circumstances.

Still... buck up, fella. What's done is done.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Olympic gold in your home country is huge, especially for Europeans.

Something tells me Datsyuk would be focused on the task at hand. I love Geno, but I think the country club atmosphere has coddled him a bit too much.

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Why's that? Just wondering. He always seems to get great interviews out of Russian players, very honest answers.

He can get very whiny and overly defensive in regards to anything russian related that goes against what he feels about it, the interviews he gets from Russian players, they're decent though, that I will commend him on.

Fordy

May 28, 2008

well you can't even fathom what sort of position in or what he might feel like so i don't know how you could say that

Atren

Jun 29, 2011
Europe

It was chance of a lifetime for him and many will probably not even get that chance.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
well you can't even fathom what sort of position in or what he might feel like so i don't know how you could say that

None of us know what it's like to be a professional hockey player at the highest level. So my opinion is just as valid as yours.

He's getting paid more than Sid next year from a cap standpoint. Doesn't do interviews. Has been reported to be sulking in the dressing room. He could grow up and become a leader on the team.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
He's... absolutely not getting paid more than Sid, next year. Cap hit is slightly higher, though. For whatever that's worth.

The rest of that sounds like Madden stuff. I base my "suck it up, Geno" assertion on his on-ice play. Which has been pouty.

And he just did an interview. He just doesn't favor doing local media interviews. I don't blame him.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
He's... absolutely not getting paid more than Sid, next year. Cap hit is slightly higher, though. For whatever that's worth.

The rest of that sounds like Madden stuff. I base my "suck it up, Geno" assertion on his on-ice play. Which has been pouty.

And he just did an interview. He just doesn't favor doing local media interviews. I don't blame him.

Geno has it pretty easy here. As long as he's leaving it all out there come playoffs, I don't care. Just making an observation.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I mean... he has it kinda easy. Sid takes a lot of the heat off of him.

Being essentially one half of the entire offense and knowing that if you and one other guy don't come through at the same time in the clutch that your team is sunk isn't all sunshine and kittens, though.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

Yeah, I agree with that. Look, I get that it was a big deal and it sucks for him but he's being paid to suck it up, that's life. Either you grow from this or it's a problem, if there isn't growth from this I'd worry. Winning with the Pens being something to smooth disappointment to him is very concerning to me, but so is "I know that wins will come," but that's an issue overall with this team.

This was one of my concerns for every damn player on this team that went to the Olympics, especially Geno given the home Olympics aspect. It could have gone sulk, stupid angry or motivated angry, it's looking like sulking right now. It's not a huge issue now but if it continues on it becomes something. He's 27 it's time to start managing things like this, he has his health (Seriously, everyone on this team should be aware of that), he's going to the playoffs and the Olympics were a mess for that entire team because of incompetence.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
He's paid a ******** of money. That's what.

Got it. Just thought you saying he's making more than Crosby capwise was a pointless statement.

That said, I generally agree he needs to quit sulking (if he is indeed sulking).

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011

It's almost like we read two different articles. You came away with a 'suck it up buttercup' POV. I came away thinking that he was being honest about his feelings. That he was grateful that Sid and his other teammates that did medal weren't rubbing his nose in it and that they also were understanding/respectful of his feelings. Sounds to me like a guy that's working through the disappointment and moving forward.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
It's almost like we read two different articles. You came away with a 'suck it up buttercup' POV. I came away thinking that he was being honest about his feelings. That he was grateful that Sid and his other teammates that did medal weren't rubbing his nose in it and that they also were understanding/respectful of his feelings. Sounds to me like a guy that's working through the disappointment and moving forward.

That's what I took from it too. Well said.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010

Difference of opinion. It happens.

I can think of many superstar players who wouldn't be sulking about it weeks after. He's a professional athelete being paid handsomely by a team trying to win a Cup. Focus on that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad