News Article: Malkin: I Assured Crosby Sochi Will Be Safe

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Well yeah, that's kind of my point. Of course Sochi will be a bigger target during the Olympics but so would be any other host city. I get the feeling people are especially concerned because it's Russia, but that has pretty much nothing to do with the level of danger.

I'm pretty sure it has to do with the timing of the recent attacks. I'm sure there would have been concerns if the Olympic games were held in New York a couple of weeks after the 9/11 attack as well.

So I don't think it's a "Russia thing".

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
i wonder why malkin specifically told crosby that sochi will be safe. what about the other olympians on the penguins roster? is it because of the anti-gay laws that russia has recently passed?

Jesus, that is a bizarre sense of humor

Last edited:

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
And as we all know, when Evgeni Malkin speaks about major international security threats, the world listens.

:laugh:

Truer words... to tell you the truth I doubt if he even said anything. Russian media is completely unreliable and very much tied to the interests of the state (by threat or otherwise). If the state wants the media to report good tidings about the Olympics, they'll report good tidings. If they want a Malkin story, they make up a Malkin story.

It could be said they're even worse than Rossi and Yo-he. Maybe.

MeticulouslyDishevel

Oct 23, 2012
It might have something to do with Russia having 2 very recent deadly terrorist attacks in it, the ongoing turmoils with Chechnya, Chechnya's proximity to Sochi and a Chechen Rebel(who apparently was just announced dead...) vowing to attack the Sochi games.

Yep. The Chechnya angle makes the Sochi Olympics much more vulnerable. An attack on Sochi would really get attention and rebels have repeatedly threatened to target the Sochi Olympics.

The US ski & snowboard team has hired a private security firm to protect its athletes and provide aircraft for emergency evacuations if necessary. I haven't ever heard of a federation taking such steps at prior Olympics.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
I wouldn't be one bit shocked if some terrorist attack happened in Sochi. The Russians have their hands full with Dagestan and Chechnya.

Crozbar

Feb 7, 2010
Edmonton
I'll be somewhat surprised if something doesn't occur in Sochi ... With the proximity factor of nearby existing terrorist groups who are motivated to carry out attacks and all. The only thing is will they just blow up a small crowd or even just a security checkpoint, or do they have some way of doing more? If Putin's "guys" are really on the case, I imagine the damage might be limited to a security checkpoint or two. In any case, I might be a little nervous about attending; but I really doubt the athletes themselves will face any danger.

Last edited:

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
I'll be somewhat surprised if something doesn't occur in Sochi ... With the proximity factor of nearby existing terrorist groups who are motivated to carry out attacks and all. The only thing is will they just blow up a small crowd or even just a security checkpoint, or do they have some way of doing more? If Putin's "guys" are really on the case, I imagine the damage might be limited to a security checkpoint or two. In any case, I might be a little nervous about attending; but I really doubt the athletes themselves will face any danger.

I'd be surprised if something does happen. Putin has the world stage to flex his muscles to show his control and what influence on the world his country has. An attack, any attack, would ruin that. I imagine the KGB and the black-hoods will be out in droves.

Valarukar

Jul 20, 2011
Pittsburgh
I'd be surprised if something does happen. Putin has the world stage to flex his muscles to show his control and what influence on the world his country has. An attack, any attack, would ruin that. I imagine the KGB and the black-hoods will be out in droves.

Agreed. He will do everything in his power, which is quite a lot, to prevent anything from happening.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Wouldn't be the first time there was a terrorist attack at the Olympic games. There were plenty of threats for the London games, too. It wouldn't really matter where the games were held, the possibility would be there.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
There will probably be attempts but Putin will have it covered.

0_be39e_dc3c9b77_L_medium.gif

ZapRowsdower13

Ticklish Tummy Tumx2
Mar 2, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
i wonder why malkin specifically told crosby that sochi will be safe. what about the other olympians on the penguins roster? is it because of the anti-gay laws that russia has recently passed?

Well the Flyers fans do always insist that Crosby and Malkin are MORE than friends. And those guys/girls are pretty reliable sources on the personal lives of our star players.

To keep Sochi safe after the Olympics Orpik will be staying for good to give cold stares to potential threats to peace. You're welcome Sochi!

Acquizitor*

according to the russian press the entire city of Sochi and everything around it has been turned into an impenetrable fortress.

it's very unlikely that something is going to happen there, however, army and police has been moved from other areas of the country to guard the Olympics, making other russian regions more vulnerable to the attacks.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
I think it is likely there will be at least one bombing somewhere outside of Sochi / near Sochi (perhaps in Volgograd, or even Moscow or St. Petersburg if the objective is to strike where no one is looking), in the days leading up to or during the games... but far less likely anything will happen in the Olympic Village or at one of the events. There is going to be security up the ying-yang in those places. Enough that people will probably complain about it / the US media will make a fuss about it in one of their BS "interludes" between events.

If I were an athlete, I would not leave the village / venues for any reason. Last thing I would do is go to some bar the next town over or something like that, or go sight-seeing where a bunch of athletes are gathered.

On the other hand, the way terrorists work, indiscriminately killing a bunch of people from many different countries or cultures can backfire. They're always looking to find new recruits and new friends. You kill a bunch of people who are perceived as "not evil westerners" and you not only might lose some recruits, you might create some new enemies / informants. Sorta twisted logic but I believe it comes into play [with the Olympics, having so many people of all cultures present].

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad