Malkin : "Crosby is the most professional guy I've ever met"

yuri28

Jan 16, 2012
PITTSBURGH -- For decades now, it's been the calling card for many of the most dominant teams: two all-world centers carrying their club.

Gretzky-Messier. Lemieux-Francis. Sakic-Forsberg. The Los Angeles Kings won the Stanley Cup twice in three seasons with Anze Kopitar and Jeff Carter patrolling the middle.

Beginning with the Pittsburgh Penguins meeting the Nashville Predators in Game 1 of the 2017 Stanley Cup Final on Monday (8 p.m. ET) at PPG Paints Arena, Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin have the chance to be immortalized as part of that group. Having captured the Stanley Cup twice as teammates and accumulated two Conn Smythe trophies, three Hart Memorial trophies and four scoring titles between them, each has already secured his respective place in the Hall of Fame.

But ask either superstar what motivates him, and each will inevitably take a moment to give a nod to the other.

"He score, I want to score, too. If he scores one more, I want to score one more, too. If he score hat trick, I stop," said Malkin, joking. "I want to be better every day. Because I watch Sid every practice, he is so much professional guy. Most professional I've ever seen. I want to be the same. I want to be professional and be better every day."

Quite interesting as often when Geno speaks.
That also puts some asterix to those who think that Geno would have necessarly had better stats and built a better legacy had he played in another team than Sid : would he have had by himself the same world ethic if he didn't have near him such a professionnal superstar as Sid?
And that's again coming from a huge Geno fan.

Source

Last edited by a moderator:

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
Of course he would have the same work ethic.

I'm sure Crosby motivates everyone on the team but Malkin is a superstar top five player in the world too. I'm sure he can motivate himself...

yuri28

Jan 16, 2012
Of course he would have the same work ethic.

I'm sure Crosby motivates everyone on the team but Malkin is a superstar top five player in the world too. I'm sure he can motivate himself...

....but to work as hard as he's worked since he met Sid?? that's not sure.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
I can see what Malkin means. When Crosby punches you in the oysters he uses an honest uppercut, none of that european left hook stuff.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Seems to be like that. He does play chippy on times but he seems to be a good guy and he's a good influence on the game.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Evgeni Malkin said:
"He score, I want to score, too. If he scores one more, I want to score one more, too. If he score hat trick, I stop," said Malkin, joking.
Lol, Malkin's a funny guy.

dr robbie

Let's Go Pens!
Feb 21, 2012
Pittsburgh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evgeni Malkin
"He score, I want to score, too. If he scores one more, I want to score one more, too. If he score hat trick, I stop," said Malkin, joking.
Lol, Malkin's a funny guy.

I actually laughed out loud when I read that. I love Geno :P

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
Evgeni Malkin said:
"He score, I am score, too. If he scores one more, I am score one more, too. If he score hat trick, I stop," said Malkin, joking.

Fixed that for him :D.

I guess watching the game at the 200ft level, it's hard to see the details behind the personality of each player. I'm sure there are a lot of great stories in the league.

I'd love for the league to let up on it's "polished front" to get to see the real players.

useless

Feb 2, 2011
I love that Geno still insists on coming out on to the ice last because he is a veteran over Crosby :laugh:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
When Malkin hurt his knee, he made his a mission to be more like Sid and take conditioning more seriously and he's been serious about his preparation ever since, not that he was never professional before, it just gave him a kick in the rear to really get that part of his career going even more.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I mean. It is Crosby... If he wasn't my life would kind of be meaningless.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad