Malkin best in the world - 1st period best in recent memory

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
You people really need to stop beating this Malkin best greater than everyone else's best drum. If that's your opinion whatever, but stop stating it as some fact. It's not

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
When Malkin is on, he's a beast all over the ice, like Crosby, but Malkin will just be way more noticeable with it because of his size and the way he finishes things.

Nope, still Karlsson.

fy99jir.gif

He has 2 assists in 5 games. Olli Maatta is out producing him in this series.

Last edited:

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
That was a hell of a shift, though ...

Is this being classified as malkins shift? It's called "The Shift" on twitter and it's In a malkin thread? He touched the puck for like 4 seconds total on that shift. Until malkin has a shift like mike Richards in the playoffs, he should never have a shift called "The Shift"

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Is this being classified as malkins shift? It's called "The Shift" on twitter and it's In a malkin thread? He touched the puck for like 4 seconds total on that shift. Until malkin has a shift like mike Richards in the playoffs, he should never have a shift called "The Shift"

Lol this. He took a shot. Passed the puck to the point...

Sonic Disturbance

Grandmaster User
Jan 1, 2009

This. Malkin didn't stand out at all in that video. It was a great display of puck control by the Pittsburgh Penguins. Malkin was one of several contributors.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
He sits out a lot when the team is losing big or is ahead big. So that affects his production. That said, he hasn't been close to dominant this series. Better be Tuesday or we're lights out.

Injuries aside because everyone is hurt this deep into the playoffs.

That's not what you want from your best player.

This. Malkin didn't stand out at all in that video. It was a great display of puck control by the Pittsburgh Penguins. Malkin was one of several contributors.

Your observation skills need work. What you didn't pick up on was Malkin basically hunting and supporting the players with the puck, finding the open man, helping cycle the puck, keeping constant pressure on that Sens team to make sure they don't get a chance to change and tire them out. He is constantly skating, nearby the puck carrier to support.

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009

Your observation skills need work. What you didn't pick up on was Malkin basically hunting and supporting the players with the puck, finding the open man, helping cycle the puck, keeping constant pressure on that Sens team to make sure they don't get a chance to change and tire them out. He is constantly skating, nearby the puck carrier to support.

So are the other 4-9 players on that shift ( they made a change and I didn't watch how many changed) why is malkin being singled out for that?

GREMLIN

Tanking enthusiast
Sep 19, 2013
Ever since 09 I have thought that this guy was easily the best player in the world when he's on. He's just not "on" as often as Crosby but god can he go full beast mode every once in a while.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
So are the other 4-9 players on that shift ( they made a change and I didn't watch how many changed) why is malkin being singled out for that?

You do know who Malkin is right? So do the Senators, which is why when he had the puck, they had 2 players come to pressure him, leaving more space for his other linemates. You think they give a Pens player that kind of attention otherwise? Through that shift you see Geno looking for open spots, supporting the puck carrier and in doing so, the entire Sens line is looking at Geno and making sure he doesn't get the time and space to burn them, so they double team him and you can see them turn and draw their attention to him.

I get it, it's the Pens and people don't like our team.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Ever since 09 I have thought that this guy was easily the best player in the world when he's on. He's just not "on" as often as Crosby but god can he go full beast mode every once in a while.

Part of that is that Malkin doesn't know when he should rest. For years, he'd literally go play in the Worlds after if the Pens were out early and they were during the Bylsma years after 2008-09. He'd be hurt in the season but then still go play in the Worlds. Trust me, we wish he'd actually rested for once, but 2 very long runs into the playoffs is something he'd gladly take.

I expect Geno to respect rest more now that he's older, a dad, and realizing the time off is crucial.

Malkin just loves to play, it's part of the problem oddly enough.

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
Part of that is that Malkin doesn't know when he should rest. For years, he'd literally go play in the Worlds after if the Pens were out early and they were during the Bylsma years after 2008-09. He'd be hurt in the season but then still go play in the Worlds. Trust me, we wish he'd actually rested for once, but 2 very long runs into the playoffs is something he'd gladly take.

I expect Geno to respect rest more now that he's older, a dad, and realizing the time off is crucial.

Malkin just loves to play, it's part of the problem oddly enough.

This. He is also back on the ice way too soon after injuries.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
This. He is also back on the ice way too soon after injuries.

Crosby and Malkin on the Pens, they literally have to force Crosby to take a day off for practice and for Malkin, they try to hold him out with injuries. I recall his shoulder injury happening and he wanted to come back sooner than he ended up coming back but the team kept him out to be sure he was ok.

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
That was a hell of a shift, though ...

Two minutes of Pittsburgh pitch forking the puck around the boards while Malkin freewheels against a Sens line trapped on the ice for way too long??

You give Tanner Glass that much free space against a gassed line and he'll give a shiftTM.:)

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
Literally no true hockey expert (with apologies to all present company) thinks Malkin is a better player than Crosby. I doubt if you would find a single unbiased hockey person who would pick Geno over Sid.

Freedom

Jan 23, 2017
Czech republic
Incredible play by Malkin. He does stuff like this and tilts the ice, without it showing up on the scoresheet.

It's pretty clear Malkin has been the playoff MVP for the Penguins to this point.
For me is still Flower Penguins MVP to this point. Malkin and all Pens had bad performances but Malkin is in discussion of course. Malkin should be in TOP 100 all time and is one of the best in the world right now without discussion. In my opinion is best Russian player right now.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009

Fair assessment, but I think the fact that he takes so many untimely bad penalties also takes him down a notch or two. It seems people pass that over too easily. As someone who cheers for the Pens, it is something I am constantly worried about, at any point in the game.

Never

Can you hear me now?
Sep 16, 2009
Calgary
His first period today he took over like no one. Some of the passes you just don´t see anyone else do. He should have had four or five assists and then that shift where he just would not let the Sens touch the puck that simply destroyed them for the rest of the game and possibly the series. I don´t think anyone with a straight face can say Malkin is not the best in the world anymore. There´s nothing Crosby has on him, especially not Crosby´s overrated defence. Frankly I´m sick of the Crosby fans making up arguments which is down to nothing else than extreme bias.

I can. Quite easily, in fact.

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
Actually, so can I. So can literally every professional analyst working in the game today, plus GMs, coaches, and peers.

But this guy likes Malkin more, so that wins I guess.

Give me a ****ing break with "professional analysts".

Aren't these the same pros who voted Toews, Keith, Kane, Oates and 50 others without Malkin for that all-time top 100 players?

Malkin is a top 50 and trending up player.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

This is rich.

Earlier in the series when Crosby wasn't producing:

Honour Over Glory said:
He looks like he hurt his leg and he came back from a concussion really quickly. Dropping the ball? Him being in the line-up is crazy enough as it is.

Which is it? Do injuries count or injuries aside?

The double standard is ****ing hilarious.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad