Malkin and Ovechkin

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
After Malkins incredible start in the RSL this season, ive seen alot of posters saying that Malkin will be a better player than AO. So which side of the fence do you fall on? Who will be better and why?

CSKA

May 5, 2003
Visit site
Its veryyyyyyyyyyyy close one ! I think Malkin has more tools , sure Ovy is the better skater,finisher and hitter but Evgeni is just the full package ! BIG,fast,can play physical game(taking hits) , very soft hands , SICK passing ability and GREAT vision.

Im so proud that russian hockey is back again on the track with this 2 kids :yo: :handclap:

Claypool_*

A lot of people have been saying Malkin will be better even before both of them were drafted.

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
I think Ovechkin has more charisma and is more exposed and that's why more people give him the edge. But on the ice Malkin does just as much... I don't know who would I pick.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
i said around draft time that malkin would end up being more valuable to Pittsburgh(at least on-ice) than Crosby when all was said and done...but that said, I see Ovechkin as being a more well-rounded Kovalchuk.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Everytime I see Malkin, he reminds me of Fedorov. A skinney, somewhat gawky Fedorov, but Feds nonetheless. I haven't been too impressed with Ovechkin anytime I've seen him, may that be on tape (versus CSKA) or in person (Russia-US pre World Cup game). People give Ovechkin the edge cuz he's older and isn't afraid to throw his weight around, but I'd take Malkin.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
As much of a Crosby whore as I am...I feel Malkin will be the best of the three personally.

I know I'm in a vast, vast, vast minority...but regardless I don't think anyone can doubt...it's going to be fun to watch these players' careers unfold.

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
In the videos that I've seen Ovechkin looks clearly the best over the likes of Malkin, Crosby and Kessel. I have a hard time projecting Malkin's game to the NHL. He is smooth and does everything well. It's just hard to tell what elements of his game will work at the NHL level. I don't see the dynamic player in him that I see in Ovechkin. :dunno:

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
does anyone know if malkin will play in the world juniors this year? he could put up a scary performance if he does.

alecfromtherock

Feb 2, 2004
Malkin and Ovechkin are future NHL stars and any team would love to have either Russian on their roster.

As for some in the Crosby-faction if you think Crosby is superior to either Malkin or Ovechkin continue living in your little fantasy hockey league.

Ovechkin is the more dynamic and flashy then Malkin and is a pure offensive talent with great speed.

Malkin is touted as the better all-round player.

Personal preference plays a huge factor in peoples selection of player X or player Y.

Americans need flashiness to attract them to sports, especially a foreign sport that has less then 1% of the sports pie south of the boarder.

However simular the 2 Russians are they are both entering entirely different teams.

Ovechkin is expected to be his team this season whereas Malkin, when he comes over, should have a far better supporting cast.

One poster aptly put in for Ovechkin when Ed the substitute zamboni driver will be AO’s linemate.

AO wins over both Malkin and Crosby in my books.

freakazoid

May 9, 2005
Canada
I for one. It would be difficult to get such a statement out of a scout before the draft, but many posters (sure were not scouts, but a lot of us know something about scouting) pointed that out. The people who did were those who actually noticed it, while many people screaming AO were doing so because of the hype, and had no knowledge whatsoever about both players and their game. It's the same people who put Fleury as a top 3 goaltending prospect at the moment, even though guys such as Ward, Toivonen, Miller have proven atleast something. Sure MAF might be great, but right now, he has a long way to go, if he ever gets anywhere. Back to Malkin. The kid wasn't nearly as hyped as AO, especially since AO was selected in the previous draft by Florida, with their lame excuse about leap years, and that was a major buzz boost. Since then AO was all over the place, and it was AO and the rest. Malkin slowly came into the picture, and kept progressing at an accelerated rate, and finally appeared on the radar. The difference between Malkin and AO is that Malkin in raw. He is already spectacular, but he is very raw. He has more pure talent than AO, and better hockey sense. AO will be good, even great, but Malkin will be great too, altough he will make his teammates look good, while I doubt AO will have as much of that effect on his team.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
freakazoid said:
I for one. It would be difficult to get such a statement out of a scout before the draft, but many posters (sure were not scouts, but a lot of us know something about scouting) pointed that out. The people who did were those who actually noticed it, while many people screaming AO were doing so because of the hype, and had no knowledge whatsoever about both players and their game. It's the same people who put Fleury as a top 3 goaltending prospect at the moment, even though guys such as Ward, Toivonen, Miller have proven atleast something. Sure MAF might be great, but right now, he has a long way to go, if he ever gets anywhere. Back to Malkin. The kid wasn't nearly as hyped as AO, especially since AO was selected in the previous draft by Florida, with their lame excuse about leap years, and that was a major buzz boost. Since then AO was all over the place, and it was AO and the rest. Malkin slowly came into the picture, and kept progressing at an accelerated rate, and finally appeared on the radar. The difference between Malkin and AO is that Malkin in raw. He is already spectacular, but he is very raw. He has more pure talent than AO, and better hockey sense. AO will be good, even great, but Malkin will be great too, altough he will make his teammates look good, while I doubt AO will have as much of that effect on his team.

well.....I think anyone that "knows something about scouting" would admit that actually seeing the player live is a prety important aspect of scouting.....I am willing to bet the vast majority of people here (NA posters anyway) have seen at best a handful of games that either have played in.....and even less before the 04 draft......how many RSL games did you watch from the 03-04 season?

bryan579

Oct 13, 2004
hmmmm if my eyes can read right it was ovechkin who led Russia in scoring in the 2005 world championships with 5 goals and 3 assists to Malkins 4 assists...Ovechkin finished 8th in scoring among some tough competetion and helped his team to the bronze. They both played on the same team, albeit probably with different linemates but ovechkin did outscore malkin with more goals than total points for Malkin

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
Anyone who thinks Malkin is currently better than Ovechkin is clearly kidding themselves. Ovechkin is the better hockey player right now.

However, Malkin is rawer and perhaps even more talented than his counterpart. Moreover, he is one year younger. This doesn't rule out the possibility, that down the road Malkin will be a better player than Ovechkin. I am in that minority. Malkin has developed superbly in the last season and that improvement is much more noticiable than that of Ovechkin's.

While Ovechkin is the better player now, that certainly doesn't mean anything to Pittsburgh. I think they will have the better player down the road.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
They are year apart and purely looking at the stats, it seems the the 18 year old Malkin has a slight edge on the 18 year old Ovechkin. The 18 year old Kovalchuk might have been a nice player to compare, since he brings a similar skills package, and has become a dominant player in the NHL. However he played in a lower league, although was a more dominant player. I can't picture how either of the kids can be a whole lot better than Kovalchuk, and as long as he doesn't defect back to Russia, his next two years should show what the upside possibility is for the two young guys. If Crosby blossoms as predicted, into a first team allstar center, I am not sure what that means for Malkin. He is listed as a center but I would imagine he will be converted to a winger so as to get him on the ice with Crosby as much as possible in which case his prospects for scoring would have to be a lot better than Ovechkin's. His first season may be playing on a line with Crosby and Lemieux and Mr Ovechkin will be playing with Jeff Halpern and Dainius Zubrus. So every year AO will have to fight to stay out of Kovachuk's shadow and Malkin will be pushing to be the first team allstar right winger.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I want to see Malkin play in the NHL. Alot of players can dominate certain leagues but the NHL is different. I think Crosby and ovehckin are built much better for the NHL.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
nuck said:
They are year apart and purely looking at the stats, it seems the the 18 year old Malkin has a slight edge on the 18 year old Ovechkin. The 18 year old Kovalchuk might have been a nice player to compare, since he brings a similar skills package, and has become a dominant player in the NHL. However he played in a lower league, although was a more dominant player. I can't picture how either of the kids can be a whole lot better than Kovalchuk, and as long as he doesn't defect back to Russia, his next two years should show what the upside possibility is for the two young guys. If Crosby blossoms as predicted, into a first team allstar center, I am not sure what that means for Malkin. He is listed as a center but I would imagine he will be converted to a winger so as to get him on the ice with Crosby as much as possible in which case his prospects for scoring would have to be a lot better than Ovechkin's. His first season may be playing on a line with Crosby and Lemieux and Mr Ovechkin will be playing with Jeff Halpern and Dainius Zubrus. So every year AO will have to fight to stay out of Kovachuk's shadow and Malkin will be pushing to be the first team allstar right winger.

to me, EM looks like the classic center......I cant imagine him playing wing at even strength (not that he couldnt) but again....he seems like the perfect center

a couple things....there are many examples of great teams having 2 great centers. Also...Crosby played wing quite a bit in the Q last season I am pretty sure, as well as the WJC.....if anything...and I doubt this too...but I could see Crosby on wing before Malkin

Rico Fatastic

Jul 28, 2002
nuck said:
If Crosby blossoms as predicted, into a first team allstar center, I am not sure what that means for Malkin. He is listed as a center but I would imagine he will be converted to a winger so as to get him on the ice with Crosby as much as possible in which case his prospects for scoring would have to be a lot better than Ovechkin's.
The general consensus is that Crosby and Malkin would be that 1-2 punch down the middle ala Sakic and Forsberg in Colorado. And if the Pens did decide to convert one of them to wing, it would probably be Crosby since he has played some RW in his career. As far as I know, Malkin has played center almost exclusively. Although I'm sure they'll probably both see PP time together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad