Malkin and Ovechkin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Latin*

Jason MacIsaac said:
I want to see Malkin play in the NHL. Alot of players can dominate certain leagues but the NHL is different. I think Crosby and ovehckin are built much better for the NHL.
See Morozov, Alexei

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Ovechkin is better because he's coming to the NHL and be the best while established talent go back to Russia , props to him .

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
I like Malkin over Crosby, but saying Malkin will be more "complete" and has more tools than Ovechkin simply isn't true.

There's a 10 month diff between Ovechkin and Malkin- the age gap is a bit overstated.

I've seen both play and Ovechkin gets the edge. He also clearly outplayed Malkin for the Russians at the World Championships. (5-3-8pts) to (0-4pts). I don't think the margin will be too great in the future, but there'll be one IMO.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Lets all recall this thread in about 3 years when we can establish a better comparison.

Until then, rejoice! Hockey is back and we've got plenty of exciting, skilled young players to watch for the next couple decades.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Mothra said:
to me, EM looks like the classic center......I cant imagine him playing wing at even strength (not that he couldnt) but again....he seems like the perfect center

a couple things....there are many examples of great teams having 2 great centers. Also...Crosby played wing quite a bit in the Q last season I am pretty sure, as well as the WJC.....if anything...and I doubt this too...but I could see Crosby on wing before Malkin

Don't you think he has as much in common with Jagr as any other player? In recent history I can think of only the Avalanche who succeeded with a 1 and 1a center. Tampa and Detroit are sort of that way but Richards/Vinny and Datsyuk/Lang really aren't in the same class as Sakic/Forsberg. Other than that maybe the Oilers of the early 80s after they shifted Messier to center but there was never any doubt as to who was #2 with them.
I think Guy Lafleur was drafted as a center so if he can be moved then pretty well anybody can.
I guess I can't argue that they might look at how well things worked in Colorado rather than just stack one line. The only issue would be deciding who got the best wingers but I think one of the two will establish himself as the main man.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
nuck said:
Don't you think he has as much in common with Jagr as any other player? In recent history I can think of only the Avalanche who succeeded with a 1 and 1a center. Tampa and Detroit are sort of that way but Richards/Vinny and Datsyuk/Lang really aren't in the same class as Sakic/Forsberg. Other than that maybe the Oilers of the early 80s after they shifted Messier to center but there was never any doubt as to who was #2 with them.
I think Guy Lafleur was drafted as a center so if he can be moved then pretty well anybody can.
I guess I can't argue that they might look at how well things worked in Colorado rather than just stack one line. The only issue would be deciding who got the best wingers but I think one of the two will establish himself as the main man.

No, he does not remind me of Jagr

as for teams with 2 top flight centers, how about....

Yzerman/Fedorov
Modano/Nieuwendyk
Lemieux/Francis

again.....if anything I could see Crosby moved to wing

CRUNK JUICE

Nov 19, 2002
Austin, TX
webspace.utexas.edu
nuck said:

Well, I would guess that the reason you can't think of any other teams in recent memory who had a one-two punch like Sakic-Forsberg is because centers of that calibre don't exactly grow on trees. Most teams are very lucky to just have one guy of that calibre on their roster.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
nuck said:

Ummm, Yzerman/Fedorov, 3 Stanley Cups ring a bell?

AgentNaslund*

not to be mean, some of you guys are crazy.

Malkin over Crosby?

Ovechkin is obviously one of the best players to be drafted in the past decades, Malkin better then him?

Its obviously like this right now.

1 Crosby
2 Ovehckin
3 Malkin.

how the hell would anyone wanna take Malkin over a guy like Crosby is beyond me. Unless your a biased fan.

and Malkin over Kovalchuk? Man, Kovalchuk has the dynamic star power, I doubt Ovechkin or malkin can match. He has offensive gift I doubt Malkin can match. how the hell, Malkin is off the a quick start, good, Yea, last I heard Fleury was off the a great start behind a weak Pittsburgh team until scouting reports figured out his weaknesses.

sorry guys, no prospect is better then Crosby.

Mr.Brownov*

I'm one here that is sick of these Crosby VS Ovechkin threads or like this one here(Ovechkin VS Malkin).Let's put some originality into it like maybe look into other promising prospects.For ex: Parise VS Crosby(who has the best vision?) or maybe Vanek VS Ovechkin (who will light it up the most this season?) or even Carter VS Malkin.Just MO...

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
AgentNaslund said:
Its obviously like this right now.

1 Crosby
2 Ovehckin
3 Malkin.
None of them played a game in the NHL. How could anything be obvious right now?

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
ill pick ovechkin. the kids profession attitude has won me over, his skill being displayed has won me over. If malkin can come in next year and do more then ovechkin does this year for the caps, ill change my vote, until now ill say ovechkin for my vote

AgentNaslund*

Absolut said:
None of them played a game in the NHL. How could anything be obvious right now?[/QUOT]

Parise and Malkin both have 0 nhl games. But are gonna question me the same way If i said Malkin is the better NHL prospect?

nneate

Jul 24, 2005
Canada
I'm gonna pick Malkin as the better player down the road, Ovechkin today.
Plus just look at Malkin's supporting cast he gets to learn from.

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
AgentNaslund said:
Absolut said:
None of them played a game in the NHL. How could anything be obvious right now?[/QUOT]

Parise and Malkin both have 0 nhl games. But are gonna question me the same way If i said Malkin is the better NHL prospect?
Dude, we aren't talking about prospects with indisputably unequal skill level, such as Parise and Malkin. When the gap (or perceived gap) is minimal, there isn't such thing as obvious until all three spend some time in the NHL.

ps. Waiting for somebody to freak out because I said that Parise's skill level is indisputably below Malkin's, haha :D

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
:)
Mothra said:
No, he does not remind me of Jagr

as for teams with 2 top flight centers, how about....

Yzerman/Fedorov
Modano/Nieuwendyk
Lemieux/Francis

again.....if anything I could see Crosby moved to wing

I was thinking more teams with two comparable talents at center. Modano/Niewendyk are not quite there and Francis was clearly the number 2 guy. Yzerman/Fedorov is a good comparable to Sakic/Forsberg though. Okay I am convinced now :)

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
nuck said:
:)

I was thinking more teams with two comparable talents at center. Modano/Niewendyk are not quite there and Francis was clearly the number 2 guy. Yzerman/Fedorov is a good comparable to Sakic/Forsberg though. Okay I am convinced now :)

What I originally said was teams with 2 "great centers"...not "comparable"

the 6 centers from 3 teams...added to the Avs pair make 8 HOF's (IMO anyway) that played center......its way too early (for HOF talk) but TB had two legit 1st line centers too

Habsaku

Apr 28, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
nneate said:
I'm gonna pick Malkin as the better player down the road, Ovechkin today.
Plus just look at Malkin's supporting cast he gets to learn from.
Kovalchuk didnt need any supporting cast to become a dominant offensive force at 20 and he doesnt have half of Ovechkins professionalism or maturity.

The Malkin hype is getting bad, Canadiens prospect bad.

Gumby

Nov 14, 2003
By the beach!! FL
Visit site
Just remember, with Malkin still being so "raw" (as many have put it) he has just as much a chance of becoming the next Viktor Kozlov as he does the next Jean Beliveau.

I really like Malkin and was praying the Caps would get him before they won the lottery, but he's a bit of a risky prospect. With that tall lanky frame and playing a quite different game in the RSL it's gonna be a bit of a gamble how he'll pan out....much more so than AO or Crosby.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
b-mad said:
Just remember, with Malkin still being so "raw" (as many have put it) he has just as much a chance of becoming the next Viktor Kozlov as he does the next Jean Beliveau.

I really like Malkin and was praying the Caps would get him before they won the lottery, but he's a bit of a risky prospect. With that tall lanky frame and playing a quite different game in the RSL it's gonna be a bit of a gamble how he'll pan out....much more so than AO or Crosby.

woohoo!!!!!

small bones

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Mothra said:
woohoo!!!!!

small bones

They may hold up in the RSL playing against 16 year olds (isn't that when they let Ovechkin in LOL) but they will snap in half the minute they hit NHL ice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->