News Article: Malkin and Letang named to ASG. Sid not.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Crosby does not deserve it. He has like 10 good games this season. In these 10 games he is looking like the best player in the world again and I love how he is playing but to think he would deserve an All-Star nomination, shows how short memories on message boards are. I'm confident in Sid and was it all the time during his slump but 75% of his games were ****. He obviously was hindered by MJ and still is by his wingers but he simply did not deserve it.

Malkin and MAF carried this team for the most part of this season (to this point).

And I'm not sure if there are 2 better defenseman than Tanger this year in the Metro, because he is clearly better than McD. Carlson is but the Caps already send 3 players and I believe Backstrom was sent because he is constantly a top point producer but never went before. Kuzy could have gone too. The Caps are playing a hell of a season :laugh:

Sid has certainly played better than some people who will be going.

Some people view things a bit too myopically

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
glad sid isn't going, wish geno and tang weren't either.

9 guys playing 3v3 for 20-40 min is going to kill them.

It certainly won't be the fast paced back and forth great action like reg. season 3on3.
These guys will just downshift and let breakaways and 2on1's happen.
Keep the games close and then go for the win at the end of regulation cuz there is some money on the line.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Couldn't really give a **** either way. Sid hasn't exactly played well enough for the majority of this season to be there, but a lot of guys don't "deserve" to be there. /shrug

The ASG is boring anyway. Rest up.

Hossa die Waldfee

Oct 29, 2015
Sid has certainly played better than some people who will be going.

Some people view things a bit too myopically

Absolutely agree with your first paragraph. Sounds like Tavares, Giroux and Saad have as bad or worse seasons than Crosby.

But you can't argue Crosby over Malkin this season. I know this board tends to take a side with one of our both C's, and you might think because of my Geno picture I would like to "bash" Sid, but you would be wrong. I absolutely love Sid as much as Geno. I defended him through his whole slump and was sure MJ was the biggest reason of his failure (with his LW's #2 and his questionable decisions #3).

But you can't argue that he is not playing a good season (to this point. I'm sure he will end up at least top 5 in scoring). Sid had 6 Goals in 32 games at one point this season.

Actually agree with your second paragraph too, but would argue that people can't see his first 30 games of the season anymore.

In the end it doesn't even matter, because Crosby would haven been "injured" again anyways and would have missed a pens game because of this joke of event. Him not being nominated is a good thing :laugh:

Hossa die Waldfee

Oct 29, 2015
glad sid isn't going, wish geno and tang weren't either.

9 guys playing 3v3 for 20-40 min is going to kill them.

Haven't spend a lot of thoughts on the All-Star game his year (besides the John Scott story), but kind of dumb to choose such small rosters if you play for such a long time. Is it already decided that they will play 20-40 minutes?

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Eh, even with his really slow start he's still outplaying Tavares and Giroux.

He wouldn't have showed up either way, he never does.

Oh I agree but they have let everyone bring a player. Toews doesn't necessarily deserve to be there either.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
The ASG seems like such a pointless mess. Some of the players don't even want to go, every team needing someone there means that you can end up watching lesser players at the damn thing and it's largely boring.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Oh I agree but they have let everyone bring a player. Toews doesn't necessarily deserve to be there either.

Yeah I get that every team needs a rep, and that'll lead to some interesting decisions. I thought that Domi should be there, but Scott being captain likely knocked him out.

Pretty much every forward on the Metro team has been underperforming this year, and I do think Sid's been better than a good number of them. It doesn't matter since he hates it anyways, but in terms of play, he 'deserves' it as much as a lot of the guys going.

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Well, you'd think the league would want their biggest names at the ASG, so on one hand this is surprising (unless Sid turned them down). But his season up until the past week or so doesn't warrant all-star consideration and I think Sid would agree with that.

Either way, the short break will be nice for him and MAF as well, even though he really should be going. Holtby is playing very well, but he also has the advantage of a much more structured team in front of him. Stats in a vacuum suck.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Holtby and Schneider have also been lights out this season.

And in Schneider's case he was the clear choice to be New Jersey's singular representative.

Fleury deserves to be there, but oh well. That's how things go in a ****ing stupid layout like this.

On a similar note, Letang (and McDonagh) doesn't make it if the Metro wasn't bereft of defensemen actually having good years...stacked in one position and weak in another with 8 teams needing a rep...

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I really don't think Sid turned them down.
There has to be one representative from each team so it boiled down to Geno vs Sid.

I have no problem with NHL Hockey Ops putting Geno in over Sid.
Both are probably pretty happy with how it played out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad