Malhotra, Gonchar, Weaver not returning

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
I'd let Mitchell walk or sign him as a 13th forward, i wanna see DLR as our 4C next season. Prust - DLR - Weise would be a quality 4th line. Have Hudon take his spot on the 3rd line. Not really sure about Flynn.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
I wouldn't be too keen on keeping Flynn or Mitchell.

About mitchell, I admired his energy in the playoffs, but he's got flaws and is ultimately a dime a dozen player. It doesn't bug me either way what they plan on doing with him.

As for the thread itself, the writing was on the wall for these guys already. Theres even a chance that all 3 will be retired from the NHL at this point.

Talks to Goalposts

Apr 8, 2011
Edmonton
He only hit a small amount of his bonus from what I understand but since no cap geek it's really hard to say for sure. I believe he got something like 1.5M once you factor in the bonus he hit (scoring 20 goals was one as an example)

they fully count until the end of the year is my understanding, then you factor in what ones they hit and which ones they didn't. I read some of the them and he missed out on many.

You can see how the ELC bonuses are structured in Exhibit 5 of the CBA. Given the minimums, the highest Galchenyuk's cap hit could have got was this most recent season where he could have got one for goals scored and time on ice (I forgot about the TOI bonus earlier, although he only could have got one for 2014-5 when he finally was in the top six for minutes at forward), which would have been 1,442,500.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
You can see how the ELC bonuses are structured in Exhibit 5 of the CBA. Given the minimums, the highest Galchenyuk's cap hit could have got was this most recent season where he could have got one for goals scored and time on ice (I forgot about the TOI bonus earlier, although he only could have got one for 2014-5 when he finally was in the top six for minutes at forward), which would have been 1,442,500.

I dug this up from another thread,

I believe he got 187,500K as a signing bonus, the rest is performance based but I would have to look into it to see if I could find out what the amounts are based off.

Edit: Looks like he gets 212,500K for each bonus he reaches, the only ones I could find (there's many more but it sounds like at the time at least he wasn't near the rest)

20 goals
Top-3 in +/- for forwards
Top-6 in ice time (aggregate and/or per game)

found in this article,

http://www.habsworld.net/2015/02/dea...the-habs-have/

So my understanding would be 925K + 92,500K (signing) + 212,500 (20 goals) = 1,233,000M

But I don't know what the other performance bonus was based on, if he hit others then his salary will go up 212,500K for each one.

Talks to Goalposts

Apr 8, 2011
Edmonton
I dug this up from another thread,

What catagories can exist for schedule A bonuses is defined in the CBA along with a minimum threshold a club can set to get the bonus. For forwards there are nine catagories and there is a global maximum of 850,000 that can be earned, so effectively you can only get money for hiting 4 bonuses. The contracts are individually negotiated on bonuses so you can't be sure what they are but it seems likely that the standard minimums are used in general.

The catagories are

1) Time on ice (top six on team)
2) Goals (minimum 20)
3) Assists (minimum 35)
4) Points (minimum 60)
5) Points per game (minimum .73 on 42 games)
6) Plus minus (top 3 on team)
7) all-rookie team
8) All star game
9) all star game MVP.

The assists and points thresholds are really hard to meet these days, you'd have to be in the top 50 in the NHL to get them, similarly you'd need to be in the top 90 to get the goals award. This makes it pretty easy to treat most of the bonus cap hit as if it wasn't there because unless the ELC player becomes a high end star they will find it very difficult to hit more than a couple of the A bonuses.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
What catagories can exist for schedule A bonuses is defined in the CBA along with a minimum threshold a club can set to get the bonus. For forwards there are nine catagories and there is a global maximum of 850,000 that can be earned, so effectively you can only get money for hiting 4 bonuses. The contracts are individually negotiated on bonuses so you can't be sure what they are but it seems likely that the standard minimums are used in general.

The catagories are

1) Time on ice (top six on team)
2) Goals (minimum 20)
3) Assists (minimum 35)
4) Points (minimum 60)
5) Points per game (minimum .73 on 42 games)
6) Plus minus (top 3 on team)
7) all-rookie team
8) All star game
9) all star game MVP.

The assists and points thresholds are really hard to meet these days, you'd have to be in the top 50 in the NHL to get them, similarly you'd need to be in the top 90 to get the goals award. This makes it pretty easy to treat most of the bonus cap hit as if it wasn't there because unless the ELC player becomes a high end star they will find it very difficult to hit more than a couple of the A bonuses.

so wouldn't that mean he only hit 1 and thus he should end up making 1,233,000M. I didn't read the exhibit that was posted though so that's for putting this together.

Talks to Goalposts

Apr 8, 2011
Edmonton
so wouldn't that mean he only hit 1 and thus he should end up making 1,233,000M. I didn't read the exhibit that was posted though so that's for putting this together.

He could have 2, he was top six in ice time and hit 20 goals. He wouldn't have possibly gotten any the year before and his first season they only bonus he could have got was for +/-.

Braun

Apr 17, 2014
Montreal
IMHO, none of them should be signed before the UFA market opens, even Petry.

So they should wait for Petry to receive high offers from other teams before even talking to him? Doesn't make sense. Anyways, why would Petry sign before FA opens anyways...that would be silly or unless he REALLY wants to play in MTL.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
So they should wait for Petry to receive high offers from other teams before even talking to him? Doesn't make sense. Anyways, why would Petry sign before FA opens anyways...that would be silly or unless he REALLY wants to play in MTL.

I don't think the offers are going as high as some folks think. See Parenteau when he hit free agency. Some were giving him 5.5 and he ended up at 4. I also think adding a top 6 RW with a few Stanley Cup finals under the belt would help the team a lot more.

So, it's just my choice really. I wouldn't complain if they do chose to sign Petry before free agency because he would indeed stabilize the top 4 on defense, but I just don't think it's more urgent than scoring goals by finding a good experienced forward.

habsnacks

Nov 16, 2014
Favoritism. The coach preferred rolling the defense without him. I always thought he was a decent to good dman for us.

So he was always a health scratch? I was wondering why we never saw him in the playoffs, I thought he was possibly injured. Another dumb move by MT I guess.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
So he was always a health scratch? I was wondering why we never saw him in the playoffs, I thought he was possibly injured. Another dumb move by MT I guess.

He did suffer an injury before the TDL, but he was still a healthy scratch many times after it IIRC.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
He did suffer an injury before the TDL, but he was still a healthy scratch many times after it IIRC.

Yeah I thought that was really strange. For a GM who talks about depth all the time, every roster player should have have had ice time to get sharp towards the end of the season.

habsnacks

Nov 16, 2014

Ah, I see, thanks! Shame he wasn't dressed for the playoffs. I think he would have made a big contribution.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Favoritism. The coach preferred rolling the defense without him. I always thought he was a decent to good dman for us.

I thought he was outplayed by Pateryn who stepped up and played decent for the most part while also chipping in some offense in the playoffs.

He was injured, when he came back he lost his spot to Pateryn. For the playoffs it would have been risky to play him since he played in only 1 game since march 12th

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad