Malhotra, Gonchar, Weaver not returning

svatoscollecor

May 14, 2015
Don't understand what happened with Weaver this year, thought he was great in the 2014 playoffs, and never got a shot at it even during the regular season...

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
No surprises here.

Gonchar has been great in the season tho, much more than anticipated.

Malhotra was good defensively, but he has no offensive skills whatsoever. Won't be missed much.

Weaver, meh.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Don't understand what happened with Weaver this year, thought he was great in the 2014 playoffs, and never got a shot at it even during the regular season...

He regressed into Bouillon. Except he wasn't French so that wasn't good enough to get him in the lineup.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC

IMO his was simply a case of playing over his head in the playoffs last year. It was unsustainable play by a career bottom-pairing journeyman. He made the team this year (deservedly) but eventually lost his spot and there was never really a reason to go back to him, especially after the Gonchar and later Petry acquisitions.

BigHabs

Aug 3, 2009
Strong feeling this will be a stand pat offseason.

I think they will look at the next offseason for changes with:

Plekanec
Gilbert
Parenteau
Prust
Weise

At the end of their contracts.

Just too much movement and little cap to make anything really work with Galchenyuk / Beaulieu both needing raises.

Petry possibly looking to re-signed and with Malhotra gone, I see Mitchell remaining with the team.

The other part of that video is the fact, the way that Bergevin is talking is that Therrien is here for the long haul so deal with it. Especially when asked if he could take this team to the cup.

Then when asked about the powerplay he kept saying he was talking it over with Michel which he would only do so if he is still in the big picture. The PP needs changes that's for sure.

Then when asked about PP help, just basically saying the team is going to look from within and referred to Scherbak as a possible solution. Which leads me to believe Bergevin is going to stay away from the market this year and wait until next season with a big chunk of cap coming off the books.

Even when asked the question about matching up against top teams centers with Plekanec and Desharnais he just kept side stepping to everyone is looking for a big center statement.

Just says standing pat this summer.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Isn't that Allen guy also out of contract?

Yeah. Another 2.575 off the books with his contract expiring. As of right now, the team has 10.8M in cap space (if the cap stays the same) and current RFA's are:

Alex Galchenyuk
Nathan Beaulieu
Jarred Tinordi
Michael Bournival
Christian Thomas
Brian Flynn

There are more but they'll all be minor league deals I would imagine. Tinordi, Bournival and Thomas will get 2 way deals if they're kept on as well.

Petry and Mitchell are the only UFA's that they appear to have interest in.

It's going to be a tight squeeze to get those players under 10.8M, considering Petry and Galchenyuk will probably take up 8 of it. Someone will probably need to be moved out, maybe a couple. Probably won't be any room for a scoring forward at this point unless Bergevin gets creative, but this isn't playstation, so probably not.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Great stuff. Let's hope they use the cap space to get us some nice things. Some scoring would be nice.

I think Parenteau and his 4M need to go, same with Desharnais and his 3.5. But alas, that probably won't happen because they need Quebecois on the team.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
You drop Gonchar, Weaver, Allen, Malhotra, Emelin, Parenteau, Desharnais and Gilbert and you save a ton of cap space AND your team gets better.

Do it Marc.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
You drop Gonchar, Weaver, Allen, Malhotra, Emelin, Parenteau, Desharnais and Gilbert and you save a ton of cap space AND your team gets better.

Do it Marc.

So in what world do you just drop signed players, and not pay them any more?

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON

Do it Marc.
wow!. U just named every player i would like gone as well, except i would add in Plex as asset trade. Smart minds my friend, smart minds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad