Malhotra, Gonchar, Weaver not returning

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Malhotra, Gonchar and Weaver the three unsung heroes of the revolution transition.

Rhiessan71

Just a Fool
Feb 17, 2003
Guelph, Ont
Visit site
As I noted in another thread, yes Gonchar is coming off the books but BGally's new contract takes effect next season and goes from 685k to 3.75 mil, so it's pretty much a wash.

Near as I could figure, Habs would have about 6.5mil free under the current cap and then whatever it goes up by, if it goes up.

As an added note with Detroit (Probably our biggest competition for Petry) they will have about 2 mil more to spend but also have more RFA's to sign than us so best estimate is they will have about 1 mil more to throw around.

From http://www.spotrac.com/nhl/montreal-canadiens/yearly/cap/

Total Salary slated for 15/16: 59,401,667
NHL Cap for 15/16:??? (was 66,045,852 for 2014/15)

UFA:
Gonchar
Weaver
Malhotra
Petry
Mitchell
MacDonald

RFA:
Beaulieu
Galchenyuk
Flynn

*What a lot of people don't realise however is that Gallagher was only a 685,000 cap hit this past season and goes to 3,750,000 next season. So even though we lose Gonchar, that money goes right to Gally.*

So we have about 6.5 mil IF the Cap stays the same and the rumour is that it's actually going down.

You have to figure that Chucky and Beaulieu will eat up 3-4 mil of that and anyone we call up will eat 500k-900k each...3-4 spots currently.
The only way we have room for Petry is if either the Cap goes up 3-4 mil minimum or we dump someone of significance, maybe both.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
As I noted in another thread, yes Gonchar is coming off the books but BGally's new contract takes effect next season and goes from 685k to 3.75 mil, so it's pretty much a wash.

Near as I could figure, Habs would have about 6.5mil free under the current cap and then whatever it goes up by, if it goes up.

As an added note with Detroit (Probably our biggest competition for Petry) they will have about 2 mil more to spend but also have more RFA's to sign than us so best estimate is they will have about 1 mil more to throw around.

The Habs are at 58.775, but if they buyout or trade PAP that will free up more space. We just don't know where the cap will be, it addition other players can be moved so we don't know where we will end up yet.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Don't understand what happened with Weaver this year, thought he was great in the 2014 playoffs, and never got a shot at it even during the regular season...

He played over 30 games and was brutal right from the start of the year, he likely just got rejuvenated after going from Florida to a playoff team the year before but it is evident he is no longer a full time D on a decent team. Sad to see him go because he was a great guy to have on the team but given his size and age his time had to come to an end.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad