Confirmed with Link: Maksimov Signed to 3-Year ELC

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Don't know much about him. Hopefully he is half as good as some say he is could be interesting.

So which reporter will utter "could bolt to the KHL" without looking at where he was born.

I like his size--only report I have read from a writer I trust says he needs to work on his foot skill.

He is a 5th round pick and as long as we keep that in mind and don't do what we did to Greg Chase--not pointing out any posters jusrt those who thought Chase should have made them team after rookie camp--he is a 5th rounder--Development is key

Could you go one draft topic without bringing up Greg Chase, as if

a) it matters

b) the whole board thought he was a shoe-in.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
At the very least, they're picking kids that have a chance at the NHL. No more Abneys and Heskeths.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I see him play every night in Niagara. I liked the pick last year even though I thought of him as a selfish player. His all-around game has greatly improved since then. He can shoot and score, which was always known about him, but he also has great vision. His skating and 2-way play have greatly improved as well.

Still far from a sure thing, but he's looking like a 2nd round talent far more than a 5th.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I see him play every night in Niagara. I liked the pick last year even though I thought of him as a selfish player. His all-around game has greatly improved since then. He can shoot and score, which was always known about him, but he also has great vision. His skating and 2-way play have greatly improved as well.

Still far from a sure thing, but he's looking like a 2nd round talent far more than a 5th.
What does he need to work on to make the NHL?

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
So wanted to see how he was doing compared to the league...

19th in league scoring
The guys above him were either drafted the year before him, were 1st/2nd round picks last year or are supposed to go first round this year.
For a guy drafted in the 5th round? That's some good progress.

Reactions: nabob

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Yup. He's having a pretty solid season.

8th in scoring for U19 players in the OHL

Three first rounders(Frost, Suzuki, Thomas), an early second(Robertson), two probable 2018 1st rounders(Bouchard, Thomas) and one undrafted player(Nyman) ahead of him.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Yup. He's having a pretty solid season.

8th in scoring for U19 players in the OHL

Three first rounders(Frost, Suzuki, Thomas), an early second(Robertson), two probable 2018 1st rounders(Bouchard, Thomas) and one undrafted player(Nyman) ahead of him.
Yeah it's really impressive what he is doing. Nyman would probably be worth throwing a late round pick at too.

McRobbiezyg

Oct 21, 2007
You mean like 9/10 GMs do in every draft?

This team needs skill coming up on the wings. Nice to have two guys from last draft who could be steals in that department.
chill out dude, he was the GM for boston for the better part of a decade. i'm using the first half and as the poster above me mentioned, his track record was pretty bad until he hired mr gretzky.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Him and Safin have the potential to be major steals. Something that I don't think has ever happened to this club.

We have thought that numerous times in the past and it has literally not happened once in the past 10-15 years (at least that I can remember). The new guys, drafted within the last 2 drafts, that are still playing in junior as older players always look good. These players SHOULD look good, if they didn't it would be quite worrying. Then they get to the pros (AHL, ECHL, or less often NHL) and we realize that they were taken in the later rounds for a reason. If Safin or Maksimov look really good after their rookie AHL season (say 0.8 PPG or higher), then I'll start paying more attention. Until then.... meh.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Agreed.

That's the type of player I would be throwing late round picks at instead of Brind'Amour's and Desharnais's.
Didn't know who Nyman was. Now I know.

Chia had a couple of seconds to look through his draft list and saw "hockey" names and most likely went with that.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
We have thought that numerous times in the past and it has literally not happened once in the past 10-15 years (at least that I can remember). The new guys, drafted within the last 2 drafts, that are still playing in junior as older players always look good. These players SHOULD look good, if they didn't it would be quite worrying. Then they get to the pros (AHL, ECHL, or less often NHL) and we realize that they were taken in the later rounds for a reason. If Safin or Maksimov look really good after their rookie AHL season (say 0.8 PPG or higher), then I'll start paying more attention. Until then.... meh.
Okay, look at the numbers posted above? He is one of the top 20 scorers in his league and 18/19 players above him are 2+ years older than him, drafted in the high top 2 rounds last year or are projected to go in the 1st round this year.

No one is saying "WOO SAVIOR" people are saying "WOO A 5TH ROUND PICK WHO IS PERFORMING LIKE A 2ND ROUND PICK!" Even if the kid never really makes it, thats actually good success for him, and a great 5th round pick.

There is tons to be negative about, this kids progress is one to be positive about.

Reactions: nabob

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
chill out dude, he was the GM for boston for the better part of a decade. i'm using the first half and as the poster above me mentioned, his track record was pretty bad until he hired mr gretzky.

Chilling out. Good managers are often a reflection of those they hire to work with them. Glad he brought Gretzky here then. You make it sound like it's a bad thing that we have a GM who drafted well with the current scouting staff he has.

McRobbiezyg

Oct 21, 2007
This, its important to know we gotta be patient and not overhype absolutely every prospect coming out of junior.

McRobbiezyg

Oct 21, 2007
Chilling out. Good managers are often a reflection of those they hire to work with them. Glad he brought Gretzky here then. You make it sound like it's a bad thing that we have a GM who drafted well with the current scouting staff he has.
i think you need to re-read my messages haha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad